Things I can now enjoy since I quit smoking...

Nancy

I know there are many similar topics on the forum, but I was just thinking...

I  am planning on going to see the new Elvis movie tomorrow which is 2 hours and 39 minutes long...and I will not have to miss a lot to go out and smoke!

What do you enjoy?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I really like travelling now so much more that when I smoked. Good lord, an overseas flight was sheer agony when I was a smoker! Upon arrival at destination, I would have walked over shards of broken glass & hot coals to get out to the 'smoking area'.

Now -no big deal.

• Like 11

Thanks for starting this thread, Nancy - good to see these affirmations and positive experiences. Some to add:

I enjoy sleeping in. Used to be that my need for a nicotine fix would wrest me out of bed by 5 or 6 am. Now I can make it to 7 am most days. 

Hugging nonsmokers is more rewarding for them, and for me, now that I don’t smell like an ash tray.

But the thing I enjoy most is the absence of cognitive dissonance!

• Like 10

I just feel a lot more freedom not having to plan ahead and often center my life around when and how I could take a smoke break.  Those breaks didn't often take long but looking back, I missed out on a lot by ducking out for a smoke or focusing more on trying to fix a crave than enjoying life.  I also sometimes declined going certain places because I knew I couldn't smoke there which really sucked.  Freedom is something I definitely enjoy now.

Another thing, I'm currently going through the typical central North Carolina July weather (mid 90's and high humidity for many days at a time).  It is nice no longer having to go out in that just to feed an addiction that was killing me.

• Like 10

Last night met up with the family at a restaurant.  Me, Sugar Britches, and the kids met up with my mom, dad, sister, and my nephew and nieces.  My oldest niece is back in town until August.  Good chance to get the whole crew together.

Entering the restaurant and taking a seat at the table, I felt no need to scan the building for ingress and egress points so I could hop out for a quick smoke.  As I sat there with my family, I didn't have my addiction demanding my immediate attention.  I was fully present and able to completely enjoy our time together.

Good riddance to that nagging, petulant voice of addiction that was always right there in the background.

• Like 10

Agreed! Freedom from slavery to nicotine is the absolute best. In my case, this is something that wasn't even on my radar when I first quit. It was an added bonus that I only realized after I'd been quit for awhile. Turns out it was by far and away the best benefit I experienced after I quit!

I expect that's pretty common as we tend not to realize just how much control smoking has over our daily lives when we're still smoking?

• Like 9

On 7/22/2022 at 8:39 AM, overcome said:

Taste of food - everything taste different!

The first time I had pizza after I quit, I loaded it up with the crushed red pepper like always, and my mouth exploded!!  Also reduced salt and pepper on everything by at least 50%.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

I remember the first time I smelled that stink of stale tobacco smoke on someone who walked past me just after having a smoke. 

I almost fell over it was so pronounced, and my sniffer ain't that good either.

I thought to myself; is that what I smelled like to others after having a smoke? I was embarrassed & humiliated at that realization 😲😒

Since then when I hear someone say; "I'm a secret smoker. Even my family doesn't know" 🤫, it cracks me up because clearly, that's not even possible!

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

I thought to myself; is that what I smelled like to others after having a smoke? I was embarrassed & humiliated at that realization 😲😒

I did too! 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't done it yet, but I'm sure Ill enjoy being able to sit through a 7 hour plane ride w/o having a nic fit or resorting to nicotine gum. Overall a healthier mouth for sure!! I also enjoy not having to go outside in inclement weatthwr just to feed my addiction.  Love the absence of nicotine off-gas smell in my house, bathroom and towels. Very subtle if you are careful about fully emptying your lungs outside after smoking, but still there!

Also love telling people I dont smoke!

• Like 5