Personal perhaps but i am asking as i perhaps need advice..

No no I don't mind talking about it.

I seem to be having some 'issues' - I had this before a few months back and it kind of went away and now it has come back again.

First off - I have to admit that my diet is terrible just now since I quit smoking I have basically been eating whatever I bloody like! and I am normally quite good with food and eating a balanced diet.

I have been eating a lot of heavy things like potatoes and a LOT of cheese (I love cheese).

I am now suffering with bloating in my upper abdomen (like above the belly button).  Lots and lots of gas (sorry I am pumpy pants lol) I feel full very quickly and I get tummy cramps and need to urgently go to the toilet but then sometimes I feel I need to go more but nothing....

I think I might have a touch of IBS??

xx

Hey SG - no expert, but I suspect it may not be IBS.

La Bandita and I are both quit - some days the dog looks like he wants to leave home.....

The Gas is the Gas!

Mine is beginning to calm down now - and I am getting ontop of diet now...

Hmmm well those symptoms sound a lot like IBS, but I agree I wouldn't just jump to that conclusion. While IBS can appear from nowhere, there are many different 'strengths' and finding (and avoiding) the cause is the only cure really.

Yours could simply be down to a shock to the system with the change of diet.

The main triggers for Tasha were; diet, stress, anxiety and me smoking (boy was I a selfish bastard!). Now we have sorted those out her episodes have gone from multiple episodes a day to maybe a couple in a month. Wheat seems to be a trigger for her, but of course everyone is different.

I think you should try to abstain from eating a particular thing for a few days and see what happens. Change the item every few days and keep a diary of which was cause the problem. It might take weeks or even months to do this, but in the long run if is worth it to find out which foods you may be intolerant to.

((((Hugs)))) for you Lisa

• Like 1

I also suffer anxiety btw and have been quite stressed recently...but I am now making small changes to the diet to see if this helps, like cutting down on cheese and eating a lower fat one less often, cutting out as much potatoes and bread and milk.

if it's not improved over the course of next week i'll go and see the doctor for sure.

L xx

I have suffered from IBS and I've also suffered from 'rqss' (recently quit smoking syndrome) I think you've got rqss, as boring as it sounds you might have to think about adjusting your diet a little, maybe get a balance of pre quit and post quit ... see how that works ... I have had days where I look as if I'm about to give birth ... but it's just a load of hot air ... I wake up in the morning and it's gone ... luckily hubby is at work at the moment because I've a sneaky feeling it escapes in the night lol 

• Like 2

I also suffer anxiety btw and have been quite stressed recently...but I am now making small changes to the diet to see if this helps, like cutting down on cheese and eating a lower fat one less often, cutting out as much potatoes and bread and milk.

if it's not improved over the course of next week i'll go and see the doctor for sure.

L xx

Hi Scottishgal,  

All the foods you've just listed are the one's I have to avoid if I want to 'function' properly ... to add to the list : pastry, pasta, rice are but just a few ... if I want to eat these foods I have them at lunch time or before lunch, and then I eat very simple foods in the afternoon and at night ie steamed vegies or salad, fish, fruit, eggs, basically no processed foods at night ... it works for me, it certainly won't hurt to give it a go ... you're not giving up anything you just eat it at a different time of day  :)

• Like 1

Yep I have IBS I was exactly like that at the start, farting like a trooper,, especially after dinner that was always the worst.

I had to cut eggs, beans, curries, fry's all that stuff out.

It's soo much better now, even way better than before quitting, a smoke in the mornings and I would be on the loo straight away for half the day after a smoke it was the same some days; (

Get yourself aloe vera in holland and barrett or health food store, just drink some everyday and it really does help massively.

Sue xxx

• Like 1

OK SG.... 

First off you are less than  two months quit and your body is going through a lot of changes right now. So before you go trying to fix something that may in fact fix it self with a little time, I would take small steps with it.  Don't get me wrong, I will always tell everyone that a visit to the doctor for a good check up is always a good thing, you should definitely do this.  

Your metabolism is right now doing a screeching slow down with out the nicotine, your body is now absorbing nutrients and drugs in a different and more aggressive way. ( for me it even screwed up my blood pressure meds.) If you have anxiety, be very aware of your caffeine intake because your body is now able to absorb more of that than it did... For example. The amount of nicotine that absorbed into your system from one cup of coffee when you were a smoker is now twice that amount now. So cut all of your caffeine consumption in half...  There are so many things that could be causing these symptoms.  

That being said.. we need some more info...

How long  and how much did you smoke?

What kind of cheeses... hard or soft??

How much processed food do you eat??

How much do you exercise and how???

I am gluten intolerant and could go on and on about eating healthy these days..  

• Like 3

It does sound very like IBS and stress is one of the causes of it, you will have to have a colonoscopy among several other tests done to rule everything else out first but it can take ages to get diagnosed so no harm in going to your doc and getting the ball rolling, could end up being nothing other than quitting but the fact you had it before would make me more enclined to think it might be. Could be an intolerance or anything.

Oh and Scotts the man in the know when it comes to diet and bowels;)

• Like 1

I do not have IBS.

However. Ditto. Same problem. Broccoli. Geez. Yeah, have been eating a lot of that. And cumcumbers. and celery and a million other things that I don't normally eat because I'm too busy smoking. lol! I've read flatulence (wow, what a great word) is a common problem to people who quit smoking. I'm sure waiting a bit, anyway, before I rush in asking for a colonoscopy. That's just me, though. . .

• Like 1

Only your medical doc can diagnose and provide proper treatment ideas so that's an awesome place to start. Also a nutritionist or dietician is highly recomended.

My opinion, your body is adjusting to the lack of stimulants from quitting smoking, an unhealthy diet and little exercise. Try to incorporate a more clean diet into your daily routine and try walking outside for some exercise. You could also get some probiotic supplements (ones kept in fridge with at least 20 billion ).

Here is a quick breakdown of my morning.

1. Breakfast was a scrambled egg on a bed of raw spinach, fresh cut watermelon, coffee. Super easy, super cheap, healthy, and filling.

Water

3 mile walk on treadmill.

I feel great and it took a little over an hour of my day so far and it's not even 10 am. My point? You don't have to go all out and make huge changes to your day, just start with your morning routine and see if those changes help you begin to feel better. Once you find what works start incorporating that into your other daily choices. For some people dairy and cheeses cause a lot of digestive issues so I'd definitely portion control those. A normal serving of cheese is like 2 oz which is like 2 sugar cube sizes, so not much at all. Any more than that and your in for some trouble :) Good luck and hope the belly starts to feel better.

• Like 1

Melody...

Just checking, as I think that there may be a misprint.

I almost thought that I read that a normal serving of cheese is the size of two sugar cubes...

Either you have massive sugar cubes where you are or I may need to have a look at portions in the bandit household

• Like 2

melody is next egg.

most women don't fart, they don't shut up long enough to build up the required pressure

heard one lay a nice loud fart at store the other day, looking at Tinkerbell floor mats- called her stinkerbell. Wife didn't like new nickname and punched me with that mood ring again. Still works, left a red mark on my forehead.

• Like 6