Where are all the Newbies ???

Doreensfree

Hey Guys ...yes ..you ....the Newbies ...

Where are you ???....

Come and tell us ....were missing you around here ....

Us Oldies ,sitting here twiddling our thumbs ...we want to help...

Give us something to do ....😁

And if anyone else wants to take a seat ..there is plenty ...just jump on ...

You won't regret it ....

Make the move ...Change your life ....

See you all soon 😊

• Like 12

@JonGuirl, that's what I'm thinking and hoping it's because more and more people are just not starting this nasty habit. I know in California, where I am, smoking is outlawed pretty much anywhere in public not like when I first started smoking and it was allowed everywhere.  

Edited by jillar
  • Like 2

Also ...those who have been here before and relapsed , might feel embarrassed to come back ...

No need to feel that way ...we would love to see you back ..never give up trying ...

Ciggerette,s are still killing people ,that will never change ...

Don't let pride stop you from feeing yourself from this deadly addiction ....

Don't leave it too late ....

• Like 3

Hi @Marie71, glad to see you're still on the train. We've had many members who quit with the help of Chantix. I used it myself years ago and quit for three weeks and stopped taking it because of how expensive it was and relapsed. So I recommend taking it for the whole three months minimum to ensure your success 😊

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marie71 said:

I’m new and I’m still around! I started Chantix a week ago and I finally feel like it is starting to help. Anyone else use Chantix successfully?

I don't think I ever did, I tried the gums and the patches but what worked for me was the whyquit.com reading, and Allen Carr's book.   I honestly read that 10 YEARS before I quit and put it down because I KNEW I would never be able to smoke again if I finished it and I guess I was not really ready.     Dumbass me   LOL

The bottom line is the fact that you are motivated and are  going to eliminate nicotine, tar, and all the other poisons one way or another and once you make your mind up to do it then you will.     It may be easy and it may not but once you truly commit and take your last puff then every day or even hour is a step in a positive direction.   Never look back and never get lured back to it for any reason.   

I know a couple that quit, were happy after 8 years of no smoking, ran into some old friends who smoked and thought "ah what the hell, one or two won't hurt" and had beers and some smokes with them and the CURSE that day because they had it whipped and now after 8 YEARS they are just as hooked as they were when the quit.   Once you get your freedom keep it at all costs - do never cave to any kind of temptation.

I still have this on my bulletin board:

If I have one cigarette I will be back where I started.

WHERE I STARTED WAS DESPERATELY WISHING I WAS WHERE I AM TODAY

• Like 6

Glad your still here Marie ....

In my 52 smoking career ,I tried every quit plan there is ...

Coming here, Allan Carr...and Listening and Learning ,this is what made the difference ....

Quitting with a group...joining in ...all helped ....

If Chantex gets you to your Freedom ,this is great ..All roads lead to Rome ..🐸

• Like 3

Yes, I was a serial quitter/restarter. Doreen can attest to that from the QSMB days. Sigh.

I gave up, but I never REALLY gave up. I kept coming back. I think it took a couple of years, or three, before I could drum up the motivation to quit.

To be honest, now, after more than 2 years quit, there are still moments -- perhaps every couple of months -- where I'll have a smoking dream or a quiet longing for a cigarette. 

Then I'll smell the second hand smoke of a smoker and think, "really? Do I want to smell like that? Pollute my lungs like that? Fund a cigarette company executive's new yacht."

So, I finally quit. Recently, I accepted a dare. 

I came across a group on YouTube called Team Fearless. Awesome! @Doreensfree, you'd love these guys (based on the photos you post   :)  )

They dare you to work on yourself for six months. I think I listened to this track a dozen times. I bought two of their MP3 download albums on Amazon. I made a CD and listen to them nonstop in my car on my commute to and from work.

I accepted their dare to work on myself for six months. I mean, I quit smoking, didn't I? Wasn't I ready for the next step in self-improvement? I posted on their site (I'm "Marius18") that I was going to do it. I'd do it or delete the comment and crawl back in my hole. (But I wouldn't start smoking again, that's for sure.)

It's anonymous, nobody reads these things, so what do I have to lose? Only thing is, someone on their staff must be monitoring the comments on YouTube videos. They replied that they'd be checking back in 6 months. Rats. Now I HAVE to perform! I just hate it when I'm being held accountable for something I said! (Kidding) (Not kidding) (kidding)

I started in with the planks and attempting to do a pushup. Now I have back spasms. Doctor. Referral to physical therapy and massage. Muscle relaxants. Had to call out of work.  

When you quit smoking, there's no telling what you can do next. I have a big, hairy, audacious goal with fitness. I'm 71 years old, and I am going to get myself in the best shape of my life, ever. I needed guidance--my gym doesn't have body builder trainers (aka "eye candy," right, @Doreensfree), but I found DDPY on YouTube and am joining the group. Just posted the most gross "Before" pictures ever. 

Quit smoking, those of you who may be lurking and wondering if you can do it, how you can quit. You will quit, I have faith in you. If you're here, you'll find a way.

You'll find a wide range of people here who want to support you and help you through your unique journey. And remember, quitting smoking is just the start--not the end--of your self improvement. Who knows where it will lead next?!

Work Out Girl GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

• Like 4

On 4/29/2022 at 6:59 PM, Marie71 said:

I’m new and I’m still around! I started Chantix a week ago and I finally feel like it is starting to help. Anyone else use Chantix successfully?

@Marie71 I used chantix to successfully quit.   Be sure to take as directed and finish the course.   You should be starting, or will be soon starting to lose the cravings and experiencing a strange taste when smoking, if you still are that is, and if you’ve already quit, good for you

Edited by Wayne045
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here's one! And this post asking this question is why I actually signed up so I could reply.

Hopefully any decrease in activity is due to fewer smokers, but as others point out that doesn't necessarily mean fewer nicotine addicts. Fingers crossed, however!

As for myself, I now have 20 hours under my belt in this quit (I almost typed 'try' but it's a QUIT not a feeble 'try'!), and doing good so far! Been sitting with my nose in Allen Carr's book - even typing it up to really let the info sink in, and my cravings isn't near what it has been before. Started reading here the same day I read the book the day before yesterday, but I think I got a bit scared to sign up as my cravings aren't really bad at all. 'Will reading about other people's experiences with The Bad Cravings TM make me feel mine stronger?' 'Will I start to expect what happened to others to also happen to me, thereby creating it in the first place where I might not have had them if I didn't do that?' etc, etc. I have a strong tendency to overthink things, to put it mildly!

But I read your question and felt obliged to answer! And at least I can get a ticker (provided I managed to set the damn thing up correctly, lol! I suppose I'll see with this post! Ah, nope! I suppose I'll have to fiddle around with that one a bit more, haha!)

Edited by Shymaid
Ticker not there, lol
  • Like 3

Welcome aboard, @Shymaid. It's great to have you join the Train! The first 20 hours is a big deal, so good on you for making it through. You are smart to be reading and absorbing everything you can, to lay a strong foundation for your quit. That - and plenty of distraction tactics - can be super helpful during the early days. You'll find a lot of different perspectives and experiences on this forum. Everyone's journey is different, so start a thread and tell us what your own quit is like. What you share might be just the thing to help another newcomer take the plunge someday. This community can help you learn, talk things through, and stay occupied. The people here are very supportive (and wonderfully wacky). So glad you're on this journey with us!       

• Like 3

Thank you, @DenaliBlues!

As I've always blown the withdrawal pangs waaaaaay out of proportion before and this is the first time I've gotten them under control, I've been a bit afraid of self-sabotaging. Another thing I'm very good at, lol. And perhaps because I'm very VERY surprised, as all other attempts has been pure hell from the first hour!

But perhaps I'll start a thread with what works and what doesn't so far. Being a bit shy doesn't always make it easy to share things openly online.

• Like 1

It sounds like you're truly ready to quit. That will make all the difference. I, too, was hesitant to share at first. I lurked on the site for weeks before I signed up. I initially signed up because I know that addiction feeds on isolation, and writhing around in my own head was a certain recipe for relapse. But I ultimately found this community to be more helpful than I ever imagined. Congrats on getting your signature up. You're close to hitting the 24 hour mark - way to go!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, DenaliBlues said:

It sounds like you're truly ready to quit. That will make all the difference. I, too, was hesitant to share at first. I lurked on the site for weeks before I signed up. I initially signed up because I know that addiction feeds on isolation, and writhing around in my own head was a certain recipe for relapse. But I ultimately found this community to be more helpful than I ever imagined. Congrats on getting your signature up. You're close to hitting the 24 hour mark - way to go!

Oh, that 24 hour mark is definitely felt! The NicoMonster has been having a temper tantrum for about an hour now, but I'm able to control it apparently! *very proud*

I'll write something up on how I came to my final turning point, and how that has turned out for the first 24 hours going Cold Turkey when the final hour has passed. Only 40 min to go now!

Isolation can definitely make things harder, but for me this time it's been not wanting to rock the boat too much at this fragile stage. I proved to myself that it was mainly a problem in my head about 6 months ago, so I've been focused on maintaining and strengthening the thought pattern of not needing nicotine.

• Like 3

Welcome aboard @Shymaid and congratulations on taking back your life! I too was a lurker on my first forum until I found that reason to sign up and post and boy am I glad I did.

The support you will receive by us in all aspects of your journey will help you immensely so when you start over thinking things post and we'll get you back on track 😊

As far as being worried this forum may create more triggers goes, I suppose it could and probably has to a few but the support far outweighs the risk of that happening. Plus we have lots of Social forums to help keep your mind busy and off of cigarettes so be sure to check those out 😊

Thank you, @jillar!

We all have to find our way when our legs are (very) wobbly those first few days at least. I did make note of the SOS forum very quickly, though! Haha!

So far, so good, though! And now that I'm signed up, I might just end up hanging around more than I intend to...

• Like 1

Good for you!   Stay with the commitment and never look back - it can be difficult at times but gets easier and easier and then down the road will come a day when you see someone standing out in the cold and rain getting their fix and you will think 'holy cow I can't believe I used to do that!'   😀

• Like 1

Welcome @Shymaid! It’s great to see a new quitter come on board and I see that you are well on your way to a rock solid quit. Hang around as much as possible and document as much as you feel you want to share. It helps you and others as well! I look forward to following your quit! 🤗

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonGuirl said:

Good for you!   Stay with the commitment and never look back - it can be difficult at times but gets easier and easier and then down the road will come a day when you see someone standing out in the cold and rain getting their fix and you will think 'holy cow I can't believe I used to do that!'   😀

Oh, I'm already wondering why I've wasted 25 years on this idiocy! 😂

44 minutes ago, Gus said:

Welcome @Shymaid! It’s great to see a new quitter come on board and I see that you are well on your way to a rock solid quit. Hang around as much as possible and document as much as you feel you want to share. It helps you and others as well! I look forward to following your quit! 🤗

Thank you, Gus! It feels very solid and like it's the only way I can go. When I get to that point, I usually stay the course. In my twenties I kicked a very bad Coca Cola habit; woke up one morning and didn't want any more, then just resisting buying any more for a few weeks. Stopped drinking about 8 years ago, though I hadn't had an alcohol problem since my teens. So it's not the first quit I've done, but most definitely the strongest addiction!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shymaid said:

In my twenties I kicked a very bad Coca Cola habit; woke up one morning and didn't want any more, then just resisting buying any more for a few weeks.

I love Coca Cola. An ice cold Coke was a reward I used for reaching milestones earlier in my quit. Horror of horrors, I HAD to quit drinking them. My anxiety levels went through the roof every time I drank one after I quit smoking. Coffee does me the same way but not as extreme. Yesterday was actually my first day of drinking fully decaffeinated coffee. It took me a very long time to wean myself off of caffeinated coffee. I miss my Coca Colas! Some people on here dream about cigarettes. I dream about ice cold Coke. LOL I don’t know what my mornings will be like without a nice hot cup of coffee in hand. I just can’t see myself continuing to drink decaffeinated coffee. What’s the point in it? HaHa 

• Like 1