Zyban

Marie71

Hi Marie, I didn't even know Drs still prescribed it to quit smoking. I had a friend who took it years ago to quit and was successful until she quit taking it. I tried one of her pills to see if it would help me too and all it did was get me feeling speedy and anxious. Which is ironic given that its an anti anxiety med lol.

• Like 1

@Marie71Don't worry to much about if it did or didn't work for someone else.  The question to ask is is it helping you?  If it is then stick with it and I'm all for you using it to get you over the hump.  If it isn't helping you then you probably don't need it.  Only you can make that determination and everyone here will try support you by whatever means we have.  good luck and stay quit.

• Like 3

Hi again @Marie71. I had a long talk with my doctor about bupropion (the generic name for Zyban) a while back. It is still often prescribed in low doses (either by itself or in conjunction with NRT) as a smoking cessation aid. There is good research indicating that it’s effective. Because I was such a heavy smoker, my doctor said NRT – lozenges, gum or patches - and bupropion could be used together. But I ended up going the NRT route alone. I didn’t want to add a second chemical withdrawal process to my already smoke-pickled brain. Also I ended up quitting smoking asap due to some unexpected surgery, with no time to let the meds build up in my system.

But every person is different. At the end of the day, whatever method helps you kick nicotine and smoking to the curb is great. Pick a path and rock your quit!

Have you set your date yet? I remember from earlier posts that you are worried about the anxiety of quitting. Just remember that smoking, itself, can intensify anxiety also. Withdrawal pains are temporary, but smoking pains pretty much never end, they just repeat on an endless loop. You deserve freedom from that!

• Like 3

It came to a point, health wise, I could no longer lie to myself.  I cried for days, I was so afraid that I could not do it.  I did not set a date. I had a few packs left from a carton.  I made the decision when they were gone I was done.  And so the day came.  I became a nonsmoker.  I still struggle, I still cry, I still get angry and I still am a nonsmoker. Who knew I could do it.  I didn't and yet I have.  So can you!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Marie71 said:

I’m not giving up!

Glad to hear it! 

Personally, I had to just dive in and take the plunge when the opportunity arose. The addiction wants to maintain it's grip - it will use fear and compulsion to try and keep you prisoner. But you absolutely CAN break free! It may be painful at times, but there are lots of creative techniques you can use to cope, and people here who understand what it's like who will support you. You can do this. Before you know it, you'll be on the other side. 

out-of-jail.gif

• Like 3

Hi Marie--

I used Zyban for about the first six weeks of my quit.  I think they recommended a three month course at that point, but I felt like I couldn't remain on it because of the tough side effects for me:  jitteriness and (more importantly) insomnia.  I stayed on it as long as I could, though, because I think it it DID help a little bit with the smoking recovery.  I also used nicotine gum for a couple of months.  More important than both of those, though, were lots of exercise and new, healthy diet.  

You can do it, friend--

Christian99

20 Years Quit

• Like 4

@Marie71 I see that @jillar gave you my timeline. I also see I did'nt answer your question.  I did not use Zyban but instead used nicotine lozenges. I know for sure gave me a fighting chance but all the people here wore the gloves that threw the punches that is my sucess. They/ I will help you when you are ready to jump in the ring.

• Like 3