Healthy-ish Baking

notsmokinjo

Almond Bickies

(Bickies = biscuits = cookies)

Gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, egg free, vegan, low carbon.

Ingredients:

1 cup pure almond butter

1/4 cup pure maple syrup

Destructions:

Preheat oven to 175C (350f) line baking tray with paper

In a bowl use a wooden spoon or spatula to mix the ingredients until it gets to bickie dough consistency...3-4 minutes

Place 1/2 tablespoon size balls onto tray and flatten slightly (can do bigger but smaller is healthier, you get a treat and it's enough)

Bake for 12 minutes, Bickies are done when the tops are dry and have a few minor cracks. 

Cool on tray, will be soft but get harder as cool.

**You can use other nut butters, but almond is the best. You can not substitute the maple syrup for honey, it just doesn't work.

APPLE BLUEBERRY SLICE

Ingredients:

3 apples, cored, peeled (optional) and thinly sliced.

1 punnet (125g) blueberries (you could use other berries or a cup of sultanas/raisins)

180g (6.35oz) self raising flour

4 eggs at room temp

3 tbl spoons honey

Milk as needed (I use about 1 tbl spoons oat milk)

DESTRUCTIONS:

Preheat oven to 200c (390f)

Line a rectangle baking tray 35cm x 24cm (13 3/4" x 9 1/2")

In a large bowl beat the eggs and honey.

Add the flour and beat well the add enough milk to make a runny batter.

Mix the apple slices into the batter.

Pour batter and apples into lines tray, sprinkle berries on top, poming some down a bit into the batter.

Bake 35-45mins until golden on top or skewer comes put clean.

Cool, cut and enjoy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, egg free, vegan, low carbon.

This is a genuine question - what's wrong with eggs?

Also, why not post pics of the finished product ... yummm 

Edited by d2e8b8
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, d2e8b8 said:

This is a genuine question - what's wrong with eggs?

Also, why not post pics of the finished product ... yummm 

Eggs - some people are allergic and supposedly egg yolks have fat...ironically I can't eat these because of the nuts, eggs are one of the few things I can eat though. I made my sister (an organic health nut) a batch of these for her post birth, breastfeeding hamper and she would have one or two during her night feeds. 

Pics - Will have to snap some picks next time I make some and add them. Although next week I will be baking Anzac bickies every day to feed the hordes.

• Like 1

I used to be able to eat everything except things with blue food colouring.... I'm not actually allergic to anything but due to internal scar tissue and my reconstructed bile duct being too close to my stomach outlet I have to avoid a lot of things because the side effects of eating them are pretty unpleasant.

It's hard to eat out, unless I go Asian. But I'm a bit of a foodie so I think that's what makes it hardest. It could always be worse, plus I have discovered a whole trove of things I'd never have thought to eat before. 

• Like 3

It must be hard, there are things I should limit but I just can't do it.  I am good about trying new things. I just like to many things. Some I can't afford often. I am blessed, I never had to go hungry like so many.  I can't complain, I donate to food drives.  I can't imagine that, no one should have to go without food. We all should donate, no child should be hungry, they deserve a balanced diet and treats as well.  If you are blessed, you should also bless others!

• Like 2

CHOCOLATE CHIP CLOUDS

*Gluten free*

Ingredients:

4 egg whites at room temp. (I use 1 yolk for snickerdoodles and the other 3 either go in scramble eggs or to the fur babies)

1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/2 cup caster sugar (you can use monkfruit sugar or granulated splender, etc, to make it even healthier but I think it tastes different)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons cooking cocoa (or for a healthier treat cacao powder, which I use because it has an iron content plus other goodies)

200g (7oz) chocolate chips (I use vegan ones, but you can use any that you want.

Method:

Preheat oven to 160c (300g) and line baking trays with paper or silmats or wotever)

In a large bowl (glass is best, I dunno why but it is...don't use a metal or plastic bowl for this recipe) add the eggs and cream of tartar. Beat with a hand mixer until peaks form.

Gradually add sugar beating well between each addition until glossy and thick and sugar dissolved. (So I beat it in in 4 batches then for a good 2-3 mins after the last of the sugar goes in.

Add vanilla and beat.

Add the cocoa and beat.

Fold in chock chips.

Drop spoonfuls of mix onto the tray and bake for 34-40mins.

Cool on tray.

Once cool store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

@d2e8b8 here are some I baked this morning...

20220417_085035.jpg

They are sort of crispy and chewey.

• Like 5