Relapse

Matthew0225

Hi Matthew, sorry to hear you have relapse! If you can get straight back on the train. The longer you leave it to quit the harder it becomes. Take the lessons that you learnt on to this quit and make this one the one!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What were your original reasons for quitting? I’m sure that they are the same. Focus on them. Say them over and over in your head. I know that you haven’t given up because you are reaching out to us. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

HI Matthew

I know when I quit it felt so awesome to know I was back in control and not the addiction. Try to remember those moments where you felt good being a non smoker and happy of your accomplishments in that. Jump right back on the train, you did it before so you already know you can do it. We all rooting for you! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

No SOS....before ....Duh !!!!!....

Ok , All you can do is dust down ...take your seat ...buckle up....and go back to basics ....

Read up on everything ...watch the video,s....

Now you know that ciggerette,s still taste crap...as they did when you first quit ...you know it the right thing to do .....🐸

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The motivation has to come from you @Matthew0225, but we're all proof it can be done. I suggest you read the topics here and see if something strikes you enough to quit. 

I also moved your thread to our main board because the SOS board is meant to be used to save a quit so don't hesitate to use it if needed after you quit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Matthew0225 unless you get back on the train and SOS when those strong urges appear, you will continue repeating this cycle over and over.  That smoke may taste good and give a short lived feeling of satisfaction but all it does is keep you hooked.  You can do this!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Matthew0225 said:

I relapsed.  I know.  I'm looking for help finding the motivation to quit again.

Motivation is fleeting and fickle.  It takes commitment to quit.

Figure out why you want to quit and the how will take care of itself.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boo said:

Motivation is fleeting and fickle.  It takes commitment to quit.

Figure out why you want to quit and the how will take care of itself.

Couldn't say it better.

Life is far better without fighting a nicotine addiction, regardless of whatever issues you have going on in other aspects of your life.  Take the BS of smoking out of your life and your life will get better with time.

Think of your life as a smoker and then as a nonsmoker and decide which is better.  Most will say being a nonsmoker is better and since you are back, I assume you feel the same way.  There is freedom there.  Once you make the decision, commit to staying smoke free.  As others said, post an SOS if you need to.  You can do this.

• Like 5

Hi, @Matthew0225. My thoughts on motivation might be controversial, and they may not apply to you. But perhaps it will be useful to someone else another time, so here goes: Do not feel ashamed of your relapse.

Shame is a trap. For me, feeling ashamed about my inability to self-regulate intensified my urge to smoke, to try to numb those feelings of failure. That created a closed-loop system of feeling awful, then smoking, then feeling awful, then smoking. My shame fed the cycle.

Shame also impedes our ability to be honest with ourselves. Because shame is excruciating, it’s human nature to avoid feeling that way. So we engage in denial instead. “I’m smoking so much less than I used to… it’s not affecting my health… I really love smoking… it’s my free choice… everybody’s got to die from something…” You know the narrative. It’s 100% BS, of course. But shame feeds the distortions, which tightens the grip of the addiction even more. 

I wish I had understood this cycle earlier. It undermined my motivation to quit for a long time. But better late than never. So my advice now, for what it’s worth: If you’re in a shame cycle, break it. Regrets? Plenty. Sorrow? You bet. Anger? Absolutely. Longing for freedom? Great. Channel all those squirmy feelings into energy that helps you commit to your forever quit. But along the way, tell shame to take a hike.

• Like 5

Everyday I'm just one bad decision away from smoking again.  I don't think you're looking for motivation.  I think you are looking for absolution.  I only say that because if I was in your shoes that's what I'd be looking for.  So I will tell you that you do not need absolution from anyone.  What you do need to resolve in your own mind is whether you fell off the train or jumped off the train.  I can already tell you that if I relapse it won't be accidental.  And that's ok.  Life is full of twists and turns, successes and failures, ups and downs.  It's the next step that counts.  I hope it's to take your seat on the train again.  If so, welcome back and stay vigilant.  

• Like 4

No need for shame ....you won't be the first ..or...the last ...it's a addiction ....

It would be a bigger shame if you didn't jump back on and find your Freedom ....

This is a insidious addiction that takes no prisoners ....

Something's are worth fighting for ....I think your life is one of them ....dont you ?????🐸

• Like 5