What’s the dealio?

Brioski

Hey guys, I don’t really feel like this is an sos, just a vent, a frustration, a day. It’s been a day. Works stressful, busy, etc., whose isn’t. I feel like I’m ok and I don’t “want” to smoke but I so so do “want” to smoke.  It feels like the stress and worries were less bc I had a cig to fall back on.  It’s something to do to help not think about things, and now it’s something to worry abt not doing, if that makes sense. I know this is bs, but junkie is trying to romance it too, it’ll relax u, something to do in the morning, after work, when get home, etc. where’s the will to keep going, keep trying and worrying about not doing. Sometimes I read people r cool with it within 2weeks (not me lol bc 2 weeks is today), some are 3 months, some are 6 months, some a year!  What’s the dealio?  😔

Baby Reaction GIF

• Like 6

Hey @Brioski, sorry you're having a tough day, its to be expected at two weeks quit. I know two weeks seems like forever but it really isn't when you consider how long you smoked. That's going to equate to a lot of triggers and those are what you have to get through at least once to lessen the pull of the nicodemon. That's why we recommend the One Year Pledge: https://www.quittrain.com/topic/318-the-one-year-commitment/

It's a commitment to yourself to stick close to your support for your entire first year so that you can have the support you need, should you need it.

As far as how long you'll feel this way, there's really no telling since everyone's quit is different. I smoked 35 years and it took me the whole first year. In contrast, my quit buddy smoked for around 20 years and had no problem with his quit. 

Hang in there because it won't always be this hard, I promise🤗

• Like 5

Thanks for posting this @Brioski. It’s a helpful discussion for me, too.

My experience quitting has not been linear, it goes in odd zigzags. Sometimes I feel good, strong, and in touch with the positive aspects of quitting. Other days, I feel shattered. Today, for instance, all the emotions I used to dull with nicotine are quite raw. I know this is not permanent. For the first couple weeks of my quit, the impulse/longing to smoke was constantly buzzing through my body and brain. Now on day 54 it’s not a hive of bees any longer, more like a dull thud. So that’s a good trend. I’m very determined to keep this quit. But along the way, I have definitely had some days I’d like to fast forward through, either that or…

hidingcat.gif

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, DenaliBlues said:

My experience quitting has not been linear, it goes in odd zigzags. Sometimes I feel good, strong, and in touch with the positive aspects of quitting. Other days, I feel shattered. Today, for instance, all the emotions I used to dull with nicotine are quite raw. I know this is not permanent. For the first couple weeks of my quit, the impulse/longing to smoke was constantly buzzing through my body and brain. Now on day 54 it’s not a hive of bees any longer, more like a dull thud. So that’s a good trend. I’m very determined to keep this quit. But along the way, I have definitely had some days I’d like to fast forward through, either that or…

So well said DenaliBlues!  Sometimes reading each other's journeys is all that it takes to make it one more day!  

• Like 6

I am about 9 months out and I still have those feelings. Had a really bad day this weekend, lucky for me the car decided not to start.  Have to get it towed in for service.  I could have taken that a couple of ways, God is helping me out and making sure I save the money for car repairs. Double Win LOL.

I can only tell you it will pass, you will have those days. The one thing I remind my self is that I did not think I would get past the first day. I did, as long as I remember I have come so far and I will never have to start over.

• Like 5

That you're posting here instead of doing anything else is good.  Please don't hesitate to use the SOS - it really is a great quit too to save your quit.  The whole act of posting and engaging in a conversation with helpful folks helps to overcome the cravings and guess who's the boss of cravings now ...

My tool was a hammer that I used on the crave while screaming in my head "DIE CRAVE DIE".  Except I did scream it out loud at work once.

There are many tools, please do use whatever works best for you.

• Like 6

That Nico Monster ...he's playing with your head ....tell him to Naff Off....your a beautiful non Smoker now.

Our brains are our worst enemies....,you were a smoker for decades ...it's going to take time to unscramble 

all those wires ....your so early in your quit ....you have just started your journey ....be patient and kind to 

Yourself ....after all your Amazing ....your achieving what millions of smokers couldn't achieve...

Be positive ...no negatives here ...it's all good ....some things are just worth fighting for .👍🐸

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Brioski said:

I feel like I’m ok and I don’t “want” to smoke but I so so do “want” to smoke.

That is the quitter's paradox: I don't want to be a smoker, but I sure could go for a cigarette.

We conditioned ourselves for years with cigarettes.  There was nary a situation that came up during a day that a cigarette wouldn't fix.  We accepted a lot of lies born of addiction as gospel truth.

Time and repetition will allow for a reset.  Keep doing what you're doing...you'll get there in time.

• Like 5

here is something to consider...plants cannot move so to protect themselves they produce toxins that are harmful to the animals that ingest them.  The nicotine in the tobacco plant is actually a pesticide that the tobacco creates to kill the animals that would eat or in this case smoke it.  so the next time you have a crave for a cigarette just remember that is the tobacco plant trying to kill you.  create a picture in your mind with that theme and see if it helps take the edge off of those craves.  ditto that for caffeine

• Like 3