Hello šŸ˜¬

Brioski

Hello, quit train-ers :)Ā Ā 

Iā€™m ā€œnewā€ to the official train but have been a lurker for around 1.5 years šŸ˜³. Ā I stopped smoking 8 days ago due to a 5 day hospital stay with pneumonia and oxygen for 3 of those days. While in there and before going home, I thought to myself Iā€™d be pretty dumb to go back to smoking, especially being given the gift of pretty much being trapped in a room w/o option to smoke and get through the first few days of physical withdrawal. Ā Then again, it was pretty dumb to think cigs helped throughā€¦everything. Waking up, going to sleep, getting ready to do the dishes, after doing the dishes, driving, etc. ironically the time I thought would be hard is easy (?) for me, after eating. Ā I think Iā€™m doing ok? Lol. My fiancĆ© is amazingly supportive which I feel like I donā€™t even deserve, he quit in feb 2019 when I went to the er w breathing problems and it was anxiety w asthma. Ā He quit that night then and there.Ā 
Iā€™ve been smoking 20 years, Iā€™m 37 years old. Sorry if this post is all over the place.Ā 

Iā€™ve had quite the past few months. My Dad, best friend in the world, passed away in December from smoking complications/lung cancer, he was 67. Ā It was the absolute worst seeing him go through that and I hope to the heavens he is breathing as clear as Iā€™m getting to be now. Ā  Also, in the beginning of March, I discovered I was pregnant with 3 positive pregnancy tests, only to find out a week later that it was a ā€œchemical pregnancyā€, basically meaning no embryo forms and hcg levels go up (positive) and then down (negative not pregs). Ā  Then this health scare/hospital stay. Then quitting. Lol I swear Iā€™m not trying to sound ā€œwoe is meā€ just a few weird big things to process.Ā 
looking forward to getting to know u guys more and actually excited to play the games section of quittrain as I am no longer a lurker šŸ‘€šŸ˜‚.Ā 
take care all!

B

• Like 11

Welcome aboard the Quit Train Brioski.Ā  Congratulations on eight days smoke-free.Ā Ā 

Ā 

11 minutes ago, Brioski said:

Ā I stopped smoking 8 days ago due to a 5 day hospital stay with pneumonia and oxygen for 3 of those days. While in there and before going home, I thought to myself Iā€™d be pretty dumb to go back to smoking, especially being given the gift of pretty much being trapped in a room w/o option to smoke and get through the first few days of physical withdrawal.

Ā 

Fate pushed you in the right direction.Ā  Good call on keeping the momentum going.

• Like 7

Congratulations on your decision to quit ....

Sorry you have been through your ordeal....and the loss of your Dad...

So happy to have you on board ...if you have been lurking ,you have got to know us a little ...

Looking forward to getting to know you better ..

We can always use a new chick on the counting game ...šŸ˜šŸø

• Like 6

Welcome aboard @Brioski, Congratulations on 8 days quit, you're already past Hell week, the hardest week on all!šŸ˜Š

Sorry about your dad passing away. I'm sure he's watching over you and proud of you for quitting. My father also passed away from a smoking related cancer and I continued to smoke for another four years šŸ˜£

Be sure to reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns and be sure to check out all we have to offer here on the various forums and tabs at the top of the pagešŸ˜Š

• Like 5

Welcome @Brioski and congratulations on deciding to quit smoking.

Ā 

I am sorry for all that you have experienced recently but it is good that it encouraged you to quit.

Ā 

Since you've been a lurker here for quite some time, I assume you are familiar with this site.Ā  There are a lot of supportive and knowledgeable quitters here, some for years, some early in their quit, but you can gain a lot of support and knowledge from a lot of their experiences. Ā 

Ā 

You mentioned the games section - that is a great source of distraction from smoking and just general fun as well.Ā  Looking forward to seeing you there.

Ā 

You are doing a great thing in quitting smoking.Ā  It is great to have you here.

• Like 6

Thank you so much, guys. Not too familiar with how to work site so may have questions. Ā Esp w games Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ll play them wrong lolol. Ā 
Ā 

Thank u all for being supportive. Feels good.

Ā 

Itā€™s cool too to see your rectangle tickers/signatures at the bottom of your posts, never saw them before.Ā 

Ā 

think Iā€™m gonna go for a walk down and up my driveway. This time of day, as well as morning, cooking, and driving, seem to gnaw at me. Just put two corned beefs in the oven, more for fiance bc he loves it (Iā€™ve been too sick since st pattys day to cook it), I can definitely leave it, blegh. May make some pesto for myself to have instead. Anyone either love or despise corned beef and cabbage?

Ā 

thanks again for warm welcome ā¤ļø

• Like 3

I love corned beef and cabbage but its probably because its only once a year Lol. You mentioned our tickers in our signatures. They are a great way to watch all the time, money saved and cigarettes NOT smoked add up. I LOVED logging in and seeing mine that whole first year. Here's the link to make yours if you want one too:Ā https://www.quittrain.com/tickers/

Ā 

And if you need directions on how to put it in your signature you can find them here:Ā https://www.quittrain.com/topic/15042-creating-a-ticker/

Ā 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Brioski said:

Ā Anyone either love or despise corned beef and cabbage?

Ā 

I'm not a fan off either but everyone is different.

Ā 

7 minutes ago, Brioski said:

Itā€™s cool too to see your rectangle tickers/signatures at the bottom of your posts, never saw them before.

Ā 

I believe you can get your own ticker at the link below.Ā  If it doesn't work, @jillar one of our moderators can help you with this.

Ā 

https://www.quittrain.com/tickers/

Ā 

EDIT:Ā  Looks like Jillar beat me to the instructions in the post above mine.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 3

Welcome @Brioski! 8 days quit is amazing! Iā€™ve just recently reached the Lido Deck and Iā€™m telling you this is completely doable! Stay focused! Stay quit! Iā€™m thankful that you have support on hand, but remember there is almost always someone here and if absolutely necessary send out an SOS!!! Iā€™m thankful that you have decided to join us! šŸ¤—

• Like 6

Welcome @Brioski! Good for you, using that unexpected hospital stay to quit the poison sticks!! I did the same thing when I wound up in hospital 5 years ago...Ā 

Ā 

I like corned beef and cabbage and eat it basically once a year on St. Patrick's day...although I sometimes crave a Reuben sandwich once in a whileĀ šŸ˜‰

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Brioski said:

Anyone either love or despise corned beef and cabbage

I love corned beef and cabbage. I donā€™t get it often enough though. My mom made the best that Iā€™ve ever had.Ā 

• Like 2

Corned beef and cabbage fan here, but I bailed on making it this year so let me know if you have any leftovers.Ā  A big welcome to you and congratulations on getting through the hardest week.Ā  It sounds as if you have an amazing attitude and great support that will help carry you through the early days.Ā Ā 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rozuki said:

although I sometimes crave a Reuben sandwich once in a whileĀ 

Ohhh! This puts me in mind of the Reuben sandwich Cafe International restaurant right on the river in Helen Ga serves. On a cool fall day after hiking some trails and a spot of shopping? Perfect!!!

• Like 3

Welcome aboard the Train, @Brioski! So glad you've joined us. Way to go on being 8 days into your quit. Itā€™s impressive that you can actually form complete sentences at this stage. 8 days into my own quit I was capable only of monosyllabic grunting noises and pathetic whimpers. You are doing great!

Ā 

And things will get even better. Count on it. For me, 40+ years of addiction are not pivoting overnight, but there are more gifts to quitting than I thought. I donā€™t stink. (Well, as long as I occasionally bathe.) I breathe easier. Iā€™m not held hostage to the nicotine fix. My partner is really happy. No more yellow stains on my fingers. And this forum is a great resource for info, real-world experience and supportive distractions. Good for you for embracing this opportunity for yourself and your loved ones.

Ā 

P.S. I would pay big money to not have to go anywhere near corned beef and cabbage. Silver lining = more for others.

• Like 4

Huge congrats on 8 days.Ā  I'm at 30 days.Ā  For me, the weeks after week 1 have been a turmoil of ups and downs.Ā  It's gotten easier to manage after this period, but the cravings or at least "reminders popping up in my head" are still there.Ā  So many things I need to relearn to do w/o a smoke.Ā  But it can be done and you can get a lot of support here.Ā  There are a lot of long term quitters here who will help.Ā  Post as often as you like.Ā  Often times I will come here and just type something up just to distract myself.Ā  It really helps.

• Like 4

I like corned beef.Ā  The cabbage...not so much.

Ā 

19 hours ago, Gus said:

Ohhh! This puts me in mind of the Reuben sandwich Cafe International restaurant right on the river in Helen Ga serves. On a cool fall day after hiking some trails and a spot of shopping? Perfect!!!

Ā 

The German potato salad there is really good as well.Ā  And there's primo trout fishing within walking distance of the place.Ā Ā 

Ā 

I'm a simple man.Ā  Don't really need much more than that to have a good day.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, intoxicated yoda said:

@GusĀ I've been to that place a few times.Ā  I always heard it referred to as Hell in, GA.Ā  LOL.Ā  It's a cutsy place tho.

Iā€™ve never heard it referred to as that and Iā€™ve been going there at least once a year my whole life. Thatā€™s crazy. And anyway, the devil did come down to Georgia, but Johnny fiddled him a new one. So no hell ainā€™t here.Ā 

• Haha 3

@DenaliBluesĀ Fishing is not one that I had problems uncoupling from smoking. I never needed to smoke when I fished. Fishing is my ultimate destination, my ā€˜when and whereā€™ that I can absolutely forget the world. I shouldā€™ve never smoked. Maybe became a professional fisherman. Hmmm.Ā 

• Like 2