Quitting

Kdad

@Kdad, you're going to have craves. Some bad, but the only way past them is through. Every time you beat a crave it gets easier the next time. 

You REALLY need to let yourself get through these times or the addiction knows what it needs to do to get its way.

You're the boss, not it!!!

• Like 8

Throw away all your cigarettes in house, car, porch. Get rid of patches and lozenges. They are nicotine and thus, will stop any withdrawal. Using them just prolongs the pain and no quit will happen. Stay on this board constantly, playing silly games, reading everyone's posts, and importantly, getting in that chat room. When you get the urge to smoke, start walking. Around the block, again, and stay busy for as long as the crave lasts. Take up crocheting. Lots of men do it. Keeps the hands busy. Watch Joel's videos more, and then more. Quitting nicotine is one of the hardest jobs I've done. It is a job, too, but since it is one that will hopefully add a couple of decades to your life, and quite a bit of quality, it's worth it. It WILL get easier; time is different for everyone; for me, between 4-7 months I started to see the change. Some get it sooner. But it will happen. It takes what it takes for each of us. I had to try many things before I finally was able to do what worked. 

• Like 6

@Kdad It will get better, the longer you go.  Is it hard, yes, you are going to crave, be angry, sad, exhausted and try to find a reason to smoke again.  I did all those things.  I still do all those things sometimes but the one thing I do not do is smoke.  This is all about you, you have to be the one who wants to quit, the one to struggle through the bad crap.  You get to be the one that is determined, driven, strong, courageous.  You get to be the one that is going to feel better, not have health issues.

Your family gets to have a healthy leader, the one that wants to be there for all the important stuff.  You get to be the one who saves all that money, puts it somewhere and then take your family on a wonderful vacation on your 1 year anniversary. You get to make memories that will last a lifetime.  First thing you have to do is insure you will have a long wonderful life is to quit smoking..

You can do this!!

Edited by Kris
I am a bad typist
  • Like 5

@Kdad, in those first days of my quit, I could not conceive of a day or a week - let alone a life - of not smoking. I had to break it down. My only job was to make it through the next 5 minutes. Then I started again, with the next 5 minutes. All damn day! That - plus doing some truly bonkers things to distract myself and stay busy - got me through. To my utter astonishment, I was alive at the end of that first day, and I hadn't smoked. I thought my head was going to explode, I thought my insides would fly apart, I thought my legs wouldn't stop shaking, I thought the craving would drive me insane. None of that happened. I made it through. I did not smoke that day. Or the next. Or the next. 29 days into my quit, I feel sort of halfway human again. We know what this is like, how hard it is. We also know it's possible. We're here for you.   

• Like 6

think of quitting smoking like going to Bali.  you have an incredibly hard and challenging journey through some of the worst places on earth, but once you get there it's paradise and you can stay forever.  So when things get really tough, just put a vision in your mind that you are going to a paradise and nothing will stop you from getting there.  

• Like 5

I hear what you are saying but I have to get honest. Yes, I am having a bad night.  I am not going to smoke. I do wonder why I am working so hard to do this. I have accepted the fact that smoking is causing serious health problems.  I want to b here to see my grand children grow up.  On the other hand, it seems like the only time I hear from my son, it is to babysit my grandson,  I love having him here, but seems they do not have time to spend with me when they pick him up. I get it I was young once, working full time and taking care of my home. I know they are going non stop. I do not call them or ask for anything if not needed. Now, that I am older I can't do what I used to. My son has been very good at coming over to take care of the yard and other things around the house.  There is just no time for them to stay for dinner, go out to dinner. watch a movie, play a board game, watch a sports event.  My son also lost his father in law last year so now he has me and his mother in law to look after. She is a little more well off, and can hire extra help, I can't.  I made sure everything was done by Saturday.  Sunday was family time and almost all of those were spent at my in-laws, which I did not mind.  I loved them and the fact that they loved me. It is just that everyone for the most part is gone, my husband, his parents, my mom and my best friend have passed.  I miss them, I do not see death as a bad thing,  I only worry about how I am going to get there.  There are days when I think I should just continue to smoke and enjoy the time I have left. I know it makes no sense, I just know I am not happy in general.  Does anyone else have these feelings? Does anyone else think they should bow out gracefully with a little help?

• Sad 1

@Krisi understand where you are coming from but you have to ask yourself how do you want to go out?  sounds morbid, but it is a serious question that needs a serious answer.  i asked myself that question and the answer i got was i wanted to go out doing something freaking awesome.  then i ran across a video of this 72 year old woman that starts her day off with 200 pushups.  when she was 68 she was overweight and depressed, then she changed her diet and her mind and her life is better simply because she feels better.  I wish I could find that again.  The point is, you have a choice.  After I saw that I decided that it doesn't really matter so I'm gonna get myself in a position I can go out doing something awesome.  If a 72 year old can do then why can't I?  why can't you?  it will always be tough, that is life.  but never let what you can't do interfere with what you can do.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Kdad said:

Quitting again. 1st day down. I feel good about this quit but I really want a cig. Ugh!

Hey, awesome to get that 1st day done and out of the way.  I'm on day 10 and I find posting really help when the craves get strong.  For me, it's enough to distract me long enough to get through the crave.

• Like 2

@Kris I can relate to what you are saying. I too do not have much family left. It's a struggle sometimes to be gratefull for what we do have.But I know we have to win this battle for ourselves. I know you can do it and we will!!  Hang in there my friend. Reach out if you need to. I am here!!

• Like 2

@KrisI read your post a number of times and its greatly disturbing to me.

"I know it makes no sense, I just know I am not happy in general.  Does anyone else have these feelings? Does anyone else think they should bow out gracefully with a little help? 

You are contemplating suicide. I hope that you will call a suicide prevention hotline immediately and get some help from a professional.

Sending love your way today.

• Like 1

@Linda,@KELNo need to worry, if I need help, I will get it. I appreciate your concern.

We all struggle with things from time to time. Sorry the "word vomit happened".

I am really okay, my quit is safe, the house it still standing and my children (dogs) are still making me laugh.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the support!! One thing I am doing different is when I have a crave I go outside, breath in the fresh air, enjoy the moment. Taking these breaks really helps. I used to go outside to smoke so I am replacing it with a good habit. Plus I am using the lozenges. 

• Like 4

I am glad to hear you are working your way thru it.  Don't feel bad if you need to use a lozenge to take the edge off. They worked for me. 

If you get in a bad crave, just come here, we will try to help you get thru it.

• Like 2

Kris ...

I too have a son who is busy with his own family ...and a business to run ...

I visit his home once a week ...do little odd jobs for them ...ironing , clean bathrooms ...cook them a hot meal.

It keeps me busy ,plus when I have to ask for his help ,I don't feel bad ...

These are only little jobs ...and only do what I can ...nothing I carnt handle....

I dog share  too...King Louis spends alot of time with me ...

Your still in a early quit ....so don't be too hard on yourself ....❤️

47 minutes ago, Kdad said:

Thanks for all the support!! One thing I am doing different is when I have a crave I go outside, breath in the fresh air, enjoy the moment. Taking these breaks really helps. I used to go outside to smoke so I am replacing it with a good habit. Plus I am using the lozenges. 

Good for you K dad ....taking in that good fresh air ...

Hope the Lozenges continue to help ..😁

• Like 2

@KrisI am glad you are okay. But I would ask that you be a little more mindful of your posts in future. I take comments like yours very seriously because of my education, training, background and history. I have had many "thoughts" over the years that are very dark but would never post them on a public site. It puts too much emotional responsibility on other people who recognize the danger signs of mental illness. 

When people share ("suicidal ideation"), it is either a cry for help or manipulation. 

Since you said, "No need to worry, if I need help, I will get it," you either don't recognize that you need help (which is often the case with mental illness) or are seeking emotional support in a very damaging (for others') way. 

This site is for people struggling with a deadly addiction. If I were to post an SOS, I would expect people to show up with their very best advice to help me through. In turn, I want to show up for others who are similarly struggling with my very best advice. 

This means that we get emotionally invested in one another. So forgive me if this post sounds harsh but its not the first time I have seen you skirt the edges ("word vomit") in your posts. I guess from now on, I shouldn't take what you say seriously?

• Like 1

@KEL

I am sorry if my post caused you distress. I am not skirting any issue, I am just posting how I feel. If you don't take me as a serious person then don't read my post.  I do not know you, or you me. We have only communicated through the board.  This place is a gift, a blessing for people all over the world. A place full of wonderful kind people that have helped me quit smoking.  There is nothing special about me.  I do not have any education, training, background or history. All I can do is be honest and open with my struggles. All I can do is take a day at a time, each crave, each breakdown, each good cry that will get me to my goal.  All I can do is accept people, their journeys.

• Like 1