Week 2 without a car

Well, I made it through week 1.  7 days looks close to infinity when you first start.  For anyone new, I had my wife hide my car keys for 21 days which effectively cut off my access to cigarettes.  I've only driven twice in the 7 days (I work from home), both times for specific needs and carefully smelled by my wife when I returned.  I must say removing access to cigarettes does reduce the cravings.  I could ride my bike a distance to get them, but so far I haven't given in to that.  I realize I will eventually have to face life w/ access to my vehicle, although I am saving a significant amount of money in gas, especially since my car was my primary place to smoke (never on my property or in front of anyone).
I have been having some cravings, you know, those romanticizing moments were you imagine taking a deep drag and all that.  Fairly typical for ex-smokers to have that those fantasies, at least in the beginning.
I'm still filling out my daily task list of about 10 fitness related things I have to do.  Having tasks I have to complete and checking each task off is helping I think.  Sometimes when I get the craving or start to fantasize, I'll run off and do my pushups or some other task.
My other tool is lots and lots of typing on this site.  Just letting my thoughts meander and getting support means so much.
Well, heres to making it through the next 7 days, one day at a time.

• Like 8

This quitting journey, for me, is a spiral. For the most part, the deep cravings are gone. And, truthfully, pretty much subsided after about 60 days. Now its the reminders, especially when there is an emotional trigger. Its just putting in the time..

Glad you are doing so well and happy you are here.

• Like 6

Thanks everyone.  Appreciate the support.

Start of day 8.  One thing I have noticed about getting past "targets" like 3days, 1wk, 10days, 2wks ... is that they seem to be triggers for cravings.  I can't explain what goes on in the brain that causes this, but maybe it's because the celebration and good "vibe" you get is actually causing you to give focus to the fact you have "deprived" yourself of something.  Obviously not in your conscious mind, but in the subconscious.  Anyway, I have to be cognizant of the fact I have seen that and experienced it and be on guard.  

Well, enjoy a smoke free day everyone.

• Like 6

Way to go with week #1 @JustinHoot99! Sounds like you are building a lot of "quit muscles" alongside your other muscles... every crave conquered is another rep.

For me, milestones don't seem to trigger cravings, but as time passes the craves are packing a harder punch. Perhaps my addiction is going through its death throes - there's a nice thought. I'm on day 26, just 2 days away from the 4 week/month mark. And today its as if the addicted part of my brain knows that the little annoying garden-variety-wanna-smoke itches it's been trying have not gotten it a fix, so now it's having a furious tantrum and hurling major craves at me instead. But NOPE.  Another recovery program I once participated in has a mantra: "First it gets better, then it gets worse, THEN it gets different." Gonna ride this train to Different!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, DenaliBlues said:

And today its as if the addicted part of my brain knows that the little annoying garden-variety-wanna-smoke itches it's been trying have not gotten it a fix, so now it's having a furious tantrum and hurling major craves at me instead. 

At times, it does feel this way.  In my quitting experiences, one of the major signs I was in trouble was the "romanticizing" about smoking.  The mental thought of taking a deep drag, the holding in my fingers, the taste of the heated smoke passing through and into my lungs.  These are the worst cravings my mind will hit me with and I must learn to immediately go do "something" so I break the thought train.

• Like 4

@JustinHoot99, I used to get my worst craves when I was celebrating something. I had some pretty good craves leading up to my one year anniversary! That's why we can never be complacent with this addiction!

@DenaliBlues, A tantrum is exactly what it is! Just keep standing your ground because you're doing great 😊

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JustinHoot99 said:

In my quitting experiences, one of the major signs I was in trouble was the "romanticizing" about smoking.  The mental thought of taking a deep drag, the holding in my fingers, the taste of the heated smoke passing through and into my lungs. 

The skies would part.  The sun would shine down.  Pretty ladies would bring me a cold beverage.  A band of cherubic angels would appear in the sky and play my favorite songs for me...

At least that's how I misremembered smoking a cigarette when I was craving one.  Gone were the memories of huddling under a small covering while smoking in the rain.  Smoking on windy days and catching a bit of ash in the eye.  Those cigarettes in the morning that set off a coughing spell.  And so on, and so on.

Addiction presents smoking as a pleasant and calming experience.  In reality, smoking sucks.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yep....Romancing the smoke .....

Boo is spot on ....how quick we forget that hacking up crap from our lungs ..burnt fingers ....brown fingers 

And that burnt lip when the cig sticks to it ..giving you a blister ...how wonderful they were ...🙁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boo said:

The skies would part.  The sun would shine down.  Pretty ladies would bring me a cold beverage.  A band of cherubic angels would appear in the sky and play my favorite songs for me...

lmbo.

1 hour ago, Doreensfree said:

Yep....Romancing the smoke .....

Boo is spot on ....how quick we forget that hacking up crap from our lungs ..burnt fingers ....brown fingers 

Yep, those times got cut from the final edit of my fantasy smoke.

• Like 2

End of day 8.  NOS!!!!  
I don't know if I'm going to make it though.  Not the smoking part but the diet requirements on my check list.  Everynite for maybe a year or more, I was eating a large bowl of icecream before bed.  It's not a big deal for me cause I exercise a lot and the rest of my meals were pretty decent.  But my wt had creeped up to 182 from 172 around October.  My ideal wt (the wt I feel my absolute best at) is around 168.  So I put "No nite time junk food" on my daily check list.  I've been eating apple w/ PB, or a pear, and 2 slices of cheese since start of my quit 8 days ago, but I'm really getting some cravings for a big bowl of chocolate IC.  On the other hand, the scale numbers are creeping down and I really like that too.

I'll let you know how this one goes.
Discipline is just choosing between what you want NOW and what you want MOST.

• Like 3

Hey @JustinHoot99, have you looked at the calories in peanut butter?! You could eat your ice cream and forego the PB. Or get frozen yogurt, that has less calories.

Quitting is hard enough on its own, there's plenty of time after your quit is solid to worry about a few extra pounds...😊

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jillar said:

Hey @JustinHoot99, have you looked at the calories in peanut butter?! You could eat your ice cream and forego the PB. Or get frozen yogurt, that has less calories.

Quitting is hard enough on its own, there's plenty of time after your quit is solid to worry about a few extra pounds...😊

I have apple slices w/ just a hint of PB so the cal's are pretty low.  I did breakdown and have a bowl of IC last nite.  First box on my list I couldn't check off this month.  But I plan on making it at least 8 more days again.

• Like 1

Finishing up day 9.  Had to have wife give me my keys so I could drive to get a new crown and get some tooth rot or whatever its called ground away.  Didn't really think about smoking on the way there or back.  Knowing I would have to pass the smell test when I returned home helps some.  But it was nice when I got back and realized I did not have a craving during the drive.  

• Like 3

Yep!, It is hard for me to give up smoking and I am not willing to give up anything else right now.  The smoking is the main thing that I have to quit to safeguard my health.  I am not going to worry about weight right now.  I will deal with that when the time comes.  The only thing I can suggest it to find other things to satisfy your ice cream craving. Summer is coming, maybe ice cold watermelon or cantaloupe. Berries mixed in low fat cool whip. Frozen bananas dipped in chocolate and rolled in nuts. Maybe some of those might help.

• Like 1

Start of day 10.  We all like "celebration" dates like 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10, 14, 21, 30, etc.  We call 10 "entering double digits".  Creating special days is beneficial because it gives us a little positive boost to counteract the negative feelings we get dealing with our addiction.  But he reality is, every day not smoking is a reason for celebration.  However, I will still pat myself on the back for entering double digits.

• Like 4