Giving up my car for 3 weeks this time.

I agree. HUGE win. Focus on that my friend. The more things you do without smoking retrains your brain. I remember five years ago I bought a new car and resolved not to smoke in it. That was one of my favorite things, i.e. long road trips and smoking during said long road trips. I was able to wean myself off that and now I rarely think about smoking and driving. 

Its really just practice in not doing something we used to do.

Anyway-blahblah. Just happy you are still on the train tonight

• Like 4

Congrats mate. That is an achievement and a win. See the thing with a successful quit is we need to celebrate the wins. They may be small, the may be big but celebrate them, reach over and pat yaself on the back. 

Fun fact, 4 or 5 months into my quit I had a melt down panic attack because I was scared to use my sewing machine because it was so linked to smoking for me...sew a seem, have a durry....rejoice in your achievement it's a big step, come Wednesday's dentist trip you already know you can do this, cos guess what, you just did.

• Like 4

This would have been a 3 cigarette trip in the past.  Gave her my key to hide again.  Won't need car again till next Wed when I have to go to the dentist.  

I feel like such a putz for feeling great for having driven my car w/o inhaling burning leaves.  Such is the life of an addict.  Celebrate every win.

We done !!!!....

This is a massive achievement.....you should feel proud ....🐸

• Like 3

I don't know how people ever quit smoking w/o a team behind them.  Around 20yrs ago, my father in law quit smoking w/o NRT, internet, etc.  He promised himself he would buy a riding lawnmower if he quit, and then just quit and that was it. Hasn't smoked since.
I have to have my keys hidden, make lists to keep me occupied, and come here for therapy. lol
Oh well, I'm still thankful to have you all here to give me therapy cause smoking is a messed up thing to do.
image.png.ae9bc4bf78ec2108bc099c9af7642971.png

• Like 5

20 years ago these companies probably weren't as efficient at hacking our brains as they are today.  keeping us confused and malnourished keeps us buying their products.  I found it much easier to quit cigs by quitting coffee, sugar and any food that's processed.  I still want all those things but it seems to be much easier to say no to all than just one.  

• Like 3

I quit for ten years without a problem. Then this last go around it has taken me five years to get five months. Everyone is different so its no good (and damaging) to compare ourselves to others who don't seem to have a challenge with quitting.

Also, I am mindful that we really don't know the true benefits of coming on this board, falling in like and love with people we are unlikely to meet but to whom we tell our deepest, darkest secrets. Yes, we quit smoking. But I think there is magic here that goes beyond that-community, understanding, compassion. All things we looked for in the cigarette and didn't find. Maybe we all looked for those things in other people, situations, things too and didn't find.

And here it is on the QT.

• Like 7

The cigerette our parents smoked ,are not the same as today ...

After watching the 3 Documentaries here ,I learnt they are adding stuff all the time to keep us addicted 

People actually spend their working days finding ways to keep the poor smoker hooked ...🙁🐸

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

When I quit, I sprayed the car down with Febreeze, seats, carpets, headliner.  Wiped down the rest of the car with water containing vinegar, baking soda. It really cut down that smoke smell.  Kept the windows open in the driveway during the day and in the garage at night.  Happy to say the car no longer has that scent.  When I first quit it was hard to drive without a smoke because the car was a reminder.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kris said:

When I quit, I sprayed the car down with Febreeze, seats, carpets, headliner. 

Just finished vacuuming and fabreezing when I came in and read this. 
Actually, since my car is the main place I smoke, I'm constantly fabreezing.
Right now it smells very stale in the car.  I'll be leaving the windows open the next 2 weeks other than at night or when raining.

Think I'm going to go on a bike ride now.  Want to burn some calories.

• Like 4

Day 5 of NOS ending.  NO Smoking.
image.png.98607d234f5083d1da043bed0b0e7a72.png

I should mention my exercise.  As I've said, I intentionally developed a habit of exercising everyday 5 years ago.  Now I crave exercise as much as I crave cigarettes (and yes, I still want to smoke).  I do a lot of types of exercise, but one form of exercise I do is called MovNat.  MovNat is a combination of getting outdoors and exercising in nature, but also ground based exercising that can be done indoors or outdoors and requires no equipment.  There is a ton of youtube videos on Movnat, just google it. It's especially useful as you get older as it focuses on mobility.  In fact, many movnat practitioners are also into Parkour.  I'm 61 and I'm working on vaults over bars, forward rolls, side rolls, swinging on bars, etc.  Well, thats my little plug for Movnat.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, intoxicated yoda said:

what is HIIH?  I've heard of HIIT but never HIIH.

HIIH is High Intensity Interval Hiking. About 6 years ago, I started getting tired of working out in a gym and started adding hiking at a local park w/ a 1mi loop trail.  Then I started adding things like situps/pushups and off trail hill climbs during my hikes.  Now I've got brake rotors hidden in the woods for some wt lifting, a log for flipping, heavy stone for throwing, and have even built a few things off the trails.  I've got about 50 assorted exercises and choose about 10 each hike spaced out at various intervals.  I hike quickly between each exercise, do a set of 10-30 reps.  Hence High Intensity Interval Hiking.  I think I coined the abbreviation HIIH just so I could tell people I get HIIH everyday.  Love it though.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kris said:

@JustinHoot99you know you need to send a screen shot to all your friends, you bet those Kardashians will say they came up with it. (they claim everything) I have always wandered how these things get started LOL

lol.  That is truly a messed up family.

End of day 6.

I needed to get rid of a couple bags of leaves and a bunch of cardboard, plus it was a beautiful day and I missed the park, so I had her give me the keys on the condition she would be home to "smell" me.  It was great getting out on the trail for a short hike, plus just getting off the property.  Other than my workouts within 1 block, thats only the second time I've been gone or driven in 6 days.  Felt good.  Naturally there were some triggers but I made it.  I can't brag to much though as it is much easier when you know you are going to get the smell test as soon as you get home.  Even after my 3 wks are up, I'm going to be very careful and ease back into driving. 
I'm really liking having my daily list of 11 health related tasks I have to check off individually each day.  Not only is it good for me and creates a habit, but when I start getting bored while working (I work at home) and a craving starts, it's a great time to go get one of my tasks done.  Anything to occupy the mind.

Hope all you wonderful people had a productive and smoke free day.

• Like 7

Not sure if you mob up north have a product called Nil Odour ... it's like the Chuck Norris version of fabreeze. A few drops in your cat and smells gone.

Really just popped in to say good luck at tge dentist tomorrow.

Oh, and we have had members here who have just decided to quit and they were done, then we have had others who have fallen off the train more times than I have fingers and toes, some who have dragged themselves to the 1 year line with much angst, the point is every quot is different no two journeys are the same but the destination doesn't change so just keep swimming.

• Like 6