Well I had a hard day but didn't smoke

KEL

It's not an SOS. Just ran into some challenges and could feel the draw towards smoking. It was my companion in the dark and messy spaces for decades so it makes sense.

Reminding myself it is not a failure to think about it. Its too soon to not still see smoking as my go-to when I feel emotionally vulnerable. The cigarettes told me they were helping me to feel stronger. We all know that was a lie.

I am shifting to gratitude that I did not have to smoke. Truthfully, I don't want to. I can feel the smoke penetrating my lungs and the pain that comes from inhaling after a period of abstinence. Then the headache. Then the self-flagellation that comes from giving up 5 minutes before the miracle.

We have all been there before.

Thanks for listening and hope your evening is peaceful.

• Like 10

Well done @KEL for seeing through nicotines lies! And you're so right, you would have felt terrible for giving up all the time you've invested to be free of this terrible habit. And remember each time you get through a trigger it gets weaker until its just a passing thought of days gone by.....😊

Like my uncle would have said, "ya done good kid" 😊🤗

• Like 3

@KEL nice work being grateful for finding the will to avoid smoking.  Old habits create grooves in our minds that take quite a bit of time to fill in but only one slip and they can be as deep as they ever were.  Gratitude is a great tool for filling in those old ruts.  Stay strong and have a beautiful restful night.

• Like 4

Thanks to my QT friends for responding. Just needed to get the thoughts out there for my own quit and maybe, just maybe, it helps others. I know that when anyone posts about their challenges, it helps me a ton. 

I've jumped over to NicA (Nicotine Anonymous) and have started to do step work around my nicotine addiction which is, perhaps, different from the alcohol. There is a great fellowship and meetings on line if anyone needs more support which apparently I do.

Not trying to detract from the magic of the QT-everyone has their own process and all that matters is that WE are relieved from the horror of the nicotine addiction. I'm going to pursue all the support I can as I am under no illusion this is an easy road. But the alternative is way worse.

Have a wonderful day everyone....

• Like 7

18 hours ago, KEL said:

The cigarettes told me they were helping me to feel stronger. We all know that was a lie.

I am shifting to gratitude that I did not have to smoke.

Recognizing smoking as one big lie built on many other smaller lies is a vital part of the quitting process.

Good job KEL, you have every reason to be thankful.

17 hours ago, intoxicated yoda said:

Old habits create grooves in our minds that take quite a bit of time to fill in but only one slip and they can be as deep as they ever were. 

I found this short video on neuroplasticity early in my quit.  I've posted it before and here it is one more time...

• Like 5

@BooSuper helpful and really intuitive. Our bodies are constantly changing. In fact, the only certain thing is change. We are physically not the same person we were when we were little as everything regenerates. We don't look the same certainly. So why wouldn't our brains change just like everything else? It takes practice-thank you for the reminder.

• Like 5

On 1/26/2022 at 2:43 PM, intoxicated yoda said:

Perhaps the guy in this video knows @jillar

On the subject of breathing techniques, I did the 4-4-8 breathing technique early in my quit.  Inhale through the nose for a count of four, hold the breath for four, and exhale slowly through the mouth for a count of eight.

I started doing this breathing technique early in my quit to deal with cravings.  I no longer crave cigarettes but still find the breathing technique helpful from time-to-time.  Taking a little pause for the cause to focus on your breathing is like hitting the reset button for your body and mind.

• Like 10

Welcome aboard @Pricci, I quit cold turkey but from what I've read from others who have successfully quit with the patch what you are feeling is normal. And regardless of what method you use to quit you're going to experience some anxiety or antsy feelings. You're body isn't getting it's fix and is having withdrawals. Something we all had to go through to get our forever quit. The good news is that its temporary so hang in there :) 

• Like 5

Welcome aboard @Pricci.....

Congratulations on your quit ...Take the time to read all the great information on the Main Discussion Smoking Board....there is tons of great posts to help you along ..

Your body will get used to the lower dose....there is no getting away from weaning yourself off nicotine ..

maybe  chew regular gum too....it may help you along ...

Feel proud ....no negatives ....all is positive ...

• Like 3

@PricciI too quit cold turkey this time. The weaning off is a bitch but once its done, its done. Then the thing to do is not pick up again as it starts the physical process all over. 

Welcome to the group-stay close. We've all been there and its that feeling that kept many of us in the loop of the addiction. But there is a lot of recovery here!

• Like 4

Patch is like torture. But if it’s working then good for you. I would consider it one of the hardest ways to quit. Constant nicotine even at low level has to trigger all kinds of troubles. Didn’t work for me. But nothing worked for me until this group and a decision to never put it in mouth again.

as for original poster…..how to say this in the nicest bakon way and not come off as an asshole…..your three months in….quit romantic thoughts of it….buck up as an adult who is now a nonsmoker and not whining spoiled baby….ok I failed. I sound like an asshole.  But really you made the hardest three months, past the first week, second week, and then month troubles….your like a strongman in the gym now. Act like it. Put your head up, reach down and straighten your big girl undies and walk proudly out into the world singing praises to yourself….looking back and wishing is about as useful as lighting farts on fire.  Nobody plows a straight field looking backwards…so let’s go missy…move positive and stronger today.

asshat out.

• Like 5

@Pricci Congratulations on quitting! Yes, you are going to experience all the withdrawal symptoms each time you step down. So, hell x’s 3. And then you quit wearing the 7mg patch and it’s the same as going cold turkey. I’m 10 and 1/2 months in to my quit. I used the patch. I skipped stage 1 and drastically reduced the length of time I wore the stage 2 and 3 patches. If your mental state can handle cold turkey, do it. My mental state barely survived being broken forever from weaning myself down. It would not have survived full blown cold turkey. I always recommend cold turkey unless a person’s anxiety issues are extreme. I hope that you have a better day today. Stay close! 🤗

• Like 3