Happy Foods

notsmokinjo

So was off in the music thread sharing some Aussie music when the name of a band triggered a whole series of happy food memories...although in this case it's a drink. 5hen I got thinking about how some foods just make you feel happy when you eat them or think about them.

So what's yours and why...

Today my happy food memory is Lime Spiders..... a glass of lime softdrink with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.... makes me think of summer holidays on my uncles farm crowding into the kitchen to get a treat.... remembering putting on advocates concerts with the cousins, being torchered with bugs and spiders and lizards and snakes by the same cousins so getting an extra scoop to make up for having to put up with the boys all day.

• Like 1

That's a sweet topic @notsmokinjo. My people hail from Canada so it was summers in Vancouver picking blackberries down the lane from my grandmother's house. She used to make a lattice-topped pie. I am pretty sure I took after her: she smoked for 40 years or something but lived well until her late 80's. 

• Like 2

Oh....blackberries in summer, climbing through the bracken ferns to get to the ferral blackberry bushes while staying at my Great Aunties house...she would make blackberry jam and then a batch of scones to eat it with, lecturing us the whole time not to go near the blackberry bushes cos that's where the snakes are....

Isn't it fun, when you think about these things you can feel the burn of the Sun through your tshirt and you can smell the eucalyptus on the air....it's like a time travel  or is that just me.

• Like 1

Recipes my mother inlaw used to make.  Yesterday made casserole of layered mushrooms and eggs and sausage balls.  Good for any meal.  Honey and cinnamon butter as well. I really miss my inlaws!

I married into a great family!

• Like 2

I am or was a pretty good cook when I had people to cook for.  Now it is just me. Most of the time I do not feel like it.  I try to cook a casserole once a week, the rest of the time it is the easy or quick stuff.  Baked chicken, steak, salad. I wish you lived closer too! Most of my true cooking was done for others.

• Like 1

Round about late May or early June...it's time for peaches.

I'm sure some of the peaches at the grocery store are fine.  However, peach perfection is usually purchased direct from the farmer off the back of a flatbed truck.

If you don't have peach juice running down your chin and aren't making m'mmm type noises...you're not doing it right.

• Like 2

We have a peach festival here in July.  All the fresh peaches you could want, you can even buy a bushel.  They also have a huge farmers market there with everything you could want. They close down the city square in Weatherford Texas. There are vendors of arts, crafts and food.

• Like 3

I agree totally, no matter how hard I try I can't come close to my Mom or MIL.  I like to say they taught me to love good food.  They are both gone now but my weight is worse now.  Just old age and the fact that I can't do many active things like in my youth.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Tomato Soup and cheese toasties (toasted cheese sandwiches)...

This was one of the first meals I learned to 'cook' and it's the first meal i taught the kid....she just sms'd asking if we could have this for dinner...27C ain't really soup and toasty weather but guess that's wot were having.

• Like 2