Introduce Yourself!

KEL

Happy New Year and welcome to the new quitters. It also seems there is an uptick in returning quitters which is damn encouraging for me! Thank you so much.

Thought we could start a thread and introduce ourselves in one place.

I am Karen and have a little over three months (this time). I did Allan Carr's book, seminar (twice) this time. No NRT. Feeling really rather great (surprisingly so). I believe this group has helped tremendously. I post daily and pledge "NOPE." Its a commitment to myself and to the other friends on this site who are trying (and succeeding) in releasing the demon.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone (better).

K

• Like 11

Great idea @KEL, I'm Jill I'm 57 and live in sunny California. I've been addicted to nicotine since I was 17 and took my last puff on May 29, 2016. 

I stumbled upon my first forum accidentally by googling my quit symptoms and the support I read there led me to sign up and I am convinced that its having all that support from people who had or were currently going through the same thing that I have remained smoke free since. 

That board is long gone now and a good number of us are here now to pay it forward as well as reaffirm our own quits 😊

• Like 10

@Dawna Sending this out to you.  I see you have joined the site, our newest member.  I am Kris from Texas. nothing special to say about me other than I have been smoke free since June.  The people here have been of unending support in my quit.  There is always someone here or checking in if you need us.  It may sound silly that a bunch of people from all over the world can help you but they can.  Sometimes you need help to get through the cravings. Sometimes you just need to talk about things that are going on in your life.  They are here for all of it.  You just have to reach out and they will be there to listen, to offer advice, to give you support in this or any challenge.  You must want to quit or you would have not joined the site.  I hope you will let us help you anyway we can.

• Like 7

Hey guys, I’m Kenzie & this is my second time quitting and returning to this site. 🙈 I’m 27, and started smoking when I was 14. I’m from Texas! I quit smoking again 12/12/2021. I log in here everyday and kind of creep around when I’m feeling like I want to smoke, and it really does help! Plus it’s comforting to know I could SOS and have so many awesome people to help. 😊 

• Like 8

@kenzie_peyton, So nice to meet a fellow Texan. I am an old lady, 62, been there and don't want to be there again.  Gonna give you the truth straight up.  You are so young, you have got to stop smoking right now.  If you do not you will become one of us old people around town coughing like a lung is going to pop out any minute.  Don't tell me you have not seen/heard it.  I am so grateful I do not do that anymore. It is enough to make people sick.  Next thing, you think it won't happen to you. If you continue to smoke you will have the most horrible wrinkles across your upper lip.  When you see old ladies whose lipstick bleeds up into those wrinkles, you will not have to worry about that.  Of course, the main thing is your health but you are a beautiful young woman and you will be so all of your life if you quiit for good.

• Like 7

@kenzie_peytonNice going there love! 24 days by my count. You know it gets easier.

I quit when I was 24 for a decade. Not even an issue. And then picked back up when my drinking escalated. And here we are two decades later.

It takes what it takes but my prayer for you is that you need not spend as much time as me (and some others on this site) wrestling the demon.

@AceWhiteHowdy to my SoCal friends! I grew up in LA....

@KrisYou are not an "old lady!" Just getting started-not even on SS! Keep the faith darlin'.

• Like 3

@KEL Sorry to tell you but I do feel like an old lady.  I am on social security, widows benefits that start at 60.  Not something I planned to do early but my health went south, so here we are. I am trying hard to keep it together but having a hard time right now.

@KrisOK but you are NOT SMOKING! That is truly awesome and the other issues will hopefully begin to sort themselves out soon. Keep the faith as one of our newest members says!

Wishing you a beautiful day....

• Like 2

Ok..for those who don't know me ....

Im Doreen from Liverpool ...71 years young ....started to smoke age 11...hanging out with ,the  clever big kids.

Scared into my final quit by my doctor telling me ..my feet were at risk of me and them parting ....

Hubby passed .2 years ago...after suffering for over 15 with Copd / Emphysema....,just short of our 50 wedding Anniversary...

Joined the other group before sitting on the Train ...

Nancy my fairy godmother...took me under her wing and led me along ...

Made some wonderful Friends ...that I will love forever ...and a toyboy....Boo.Lol...

Met Jo ,when I visited Oz....spent some magical time ...before COVID....

Feeling more healthy now than 20 years ago....

Keep the Quit ...and the magic will happen ...👌🐸

• Like 11

Hello to everyone on the train.

My name is Tim and I had been smoking for roughly 40 years before I finally decided to quit. I quit at the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic. I had a roommate who was struggling with a bad case of COVID-19 which was a disease the affected your lungs. It took the fear of dying from this disease to push me over the top. So I decided on April 4th 2019 to quit smoking. I did it cold turkey and faced my biggest test 3 days later when my roommate died of COVID-19 in the hospital alone. So, it was a rough beginning to my quit but I vowed to never smoke again as a tribute to him. I am presently at 1 year and 9 months quit. So, believe in yourself and have faith. Everyone can do it.

• Like 11

My name's Christian, and I've been quit for 20 years now (smoked from age 18 to age 33).  Being a nonsmoker is a fundamental part of my identity, and I continue to benefit from the lessons that I learned from my quitting process.  While I haven't had a craving or thought of smoking in about 18 years or so, I remain vigilant because I fear the addiction:  the depth and power of my addiction (and the difficulty of those initial stages) were really unsettling and frightening to me.  In addition, like many people, I have experienced the health effects of smoking:  my brother died at 42 from lung cancer; my mother died at 70 from throat cancer; and I suffered a major heart attack and cardiac arrest at age 40 (my prior smoking obviously a major cause).   

I've devoted much of my adult life to education, and I'm an English professor at a community college.  It's work that I love and that I'm privileged to do. 

Christian99    

• Like 11

I am Greg.  I had some very strange health problems a year ago that lead me to finally quit 9 months later after many unsuccessful half assed attempts.  The doctors never could definitely diagnose me with anything so their answer was to put me on cholesterol medication.  I didn't see the point in taking medication for a condition they couldn't diagnose so they fired me as a patient and I fired them as my doctors.  At that point I decided that I'm here for a good time, not a long time...but it's hard to have a good time when you're coughing, wheezing and seeing 4 or 5 of everything.  (Random bouts of double or multiple vision was one of the issues I had.)  So took my health in my own hands and cleaned up my diet, eventually quit smoking after 27 years and now I'm cleaning up my diet again.  So far I can't complain about the progress I have had and the support from all you folks here on the train has been awesome.  

Edited by intoxicated yoda
  • Like 10

Growing up in So Cal ive always been athletic and enjoyed outdoor sports.

All of them.

Smoking interfered with my performance so it had to go.

Successfully quit once for almost 10 years, then took a puff and was hooked again for 7 years before my final quit in Feb 2021.

I own a contracting company that deals with fire protection and im sure I looked stoopid puffing on a grit

I now own the fact im an addict, and I can never ever take even one puff and im good with that.

Now that im smoke free im back to playing ice hockey and running triathlons at 55+ years old and in great shape & kicking butt

This site is key to my quit-

• Like 13

On 1/4/2022 at 9:00 AM, KEL said:

Happy New Year and welcome to the new quitters. It also seems there is an uptick in returning quitters which is damn encouraging for me! Thank you so much.

Thought we could start a thread and introduce ourselves in one place.

I am Karen and have a little over three months (this time). I did Allan Carr's book, seminar (twice) this time. No NRT. Feeling really rather great (surprisingly so). I believe this group has helped tremendously. I post daily and pledge "NOPE." Its a commitment to myself and to the other friends on this site who are trying (and succeeding) in releasing the demon.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone (better).

K

• Like 1

Hi Everyone

After smoking for the last 12 years or so, initially just socially and then out of habit and gradually more and more daily, It's my first time to 'properly' quit. Lots of times I've said I'd stop and I never do, or I only do it for a day or two.

I got engaged over the holidays so I am busy planning wedding and have a goal to aim for and want to be healthy and smoke free for it.

I never start a new year resolution so I waited a week and began then. I'm now 1 week quit.

Good luck to all other recent quitters and well done and continued success to all those who've quit already and have made a new habit of not smoking.

Joan

• Like 8

Welcome @JoanD  Congratulations on 1 week smoke free.  The first week is the toughest so big congrats on that.  Also, congratulations on getting engaged.  That is awesome.

For what its worth, I smoked for 20 years, initially just socially and then it became a habit and addiction so I know how you feel.  What worked for me was accountability (joining a support group of fellow quitters, like here, and sharing your experiences and reaching out for help as needed) as well as learning more about nicotine addiction (lots of this info can be found in our site's quite smoking discussions section)  This really helps.

You are doing a great thing in quitting smoking.  There is a lot of support and knowledge you can gain here.  Welcome aboard.

• Like 6

Welcome to qt @JoanD and congratulations on being a week quit, you're already through hell week. That's awesome😊  

And congratulations on your engagement. What a nice day you'll have being present in the moment instead of always looking for that time and place to light one up. Not to mention the stink😣 

You'll have all the support you need/want and there's quitters here from all over the world so there's usually someone around 24/7. 

So take a look around, lots to do here from educating yourself on our addiction to Socializing to help get your mind off your quit 😊

• Like 6

Welcome @JoanD Congratulations on your 1 week quit!!!

The train is a great place to get support for your quit, from

people that have been there and understand. I would have not

been where I am in my quit without the great people here.

So take your seat, stick close and enjoy your ride to freedom!!

• Like 6