Holy shit did I miss you guys!

Nolongerhere

So tonight, a friend of mine on Facebook, went to high school with him, posted a status about how he hated that he smoked and just wanted to give it up. I took my time and the knowledge that I have to help him out. I do really hope it helps him quit. The message went as goes.

"Firstly, you are not alone. Next thing you need to know is that there you cannot quit if YOU don't want too. I am sure you know that already, but still. It has to be something that you just can't stand wanting to do for another day. With that said, The longest I have gone without, has been a little over 3 months. I have been smoking since I was almost 20. There are no gimics, no cheats, or anything like that. You just have to quit. If you have a quit buddy to keep you accountable, that is awesome. If you want one, I will gladly do that with you, I need to quit too. I however won't be ready to start tomorrow, but the day after I can. What I mean by no cheats or gimics is; some people suggest using NRT's (Nicotine Replacement Therapy) which includes nicotine gum, patches, e-cigs to an extent, etc. The only way to quit smoking is to quit. Is to remove the nicotine from your system and never smoke again. Easy analogy is NOPE. (Not One Puff Ever) Quitting, in my opinion is the easy part, remaining quit is the part that sucks dick. I personally am under the opinion that cold turkey is the only way to go. the gum and patches and vaping is just replacing one form of nicotine for another, you are curbing your cravings, not the addiction. One mentality that you will HAVE to continually remind yourself is that YOU ARE AN ADDICT. (I've made the error of not thinking so) You are always going to be an addict, and that's that. But it's not all hopeless. You need to retrain your mind to quit smoking, that is the best way to remain quit. For example, a lot of us like to smoke after eating, or sex, or while driving. It'll take time to get fully there, but you HAVE to retrain your mind to know that you don't need a cigarette. You can want one all you want, as long as you don't smoke, you're solid. SUGGESTIONS: Personally what has worked for me in the past is to pick a date, have your last puff off of your last cigarette at midnight, and make sure that you get at least 8 hours of sleep. My reasoning behind this is; the average smoker begins having cravings after about 2 hours since last smoked. If you start off by getting at least 4 times that in, you're off to a nice start. My next suggestion would be to set your quit date on a day where you will not have to do anything for the first 3 days. Take vacation, or take just 3 days off, but take that time. Your life can depend on it in the long run, just do it. And for those first 3 days....don't do ******* anything. Nothing, don't go anywhere, just stay at home. watch tv, read, whatever. (prepare accordingly so you don't have to leave home). My reasoning behind this is; for the average smoker, 72 hours is the hardest part. It is the time when your body will be withdrawing from nicotine. After 72 hours, most if not all the nicotine will be out of your body. After that, it's all just retraining your brain to NOPE. Finally, I suggest to educate yourself as much as you can stand. Know your enemy. You will be the only one fighting this battle, so educate yourself about quitting and triggers especially. I started up again after a night out drinking when my quit buddy failed, I failed too. Keep yourself (and any quit buddies accountable at all times). Drinking at first, I recommend doing it in controlled environments like at home, and minimally. I also would recommend not hanging around with friends who smoke for awhile, but know that you can't cut them off forever, so just prepare yourself to deal with those triggers. To finish with the educating yourself- www.whyquit.com is an amazing website to help. READ, READ, READ! I would suggest to sign up for a NoSmo message board at www.quittrain.com and/or www.quitsmokingmessageboard.com and read and talk as much as possible. Those people can help you, they have helped me in the past. It can be done, you just have to do it."

Needless to say, I think I am ready to give it another go, and will be making my triumphant return within the next week. Hope this message can maybe help some newbies here who may be struggling.

• Like 2

I don't know how many of you still continue to go to QSMB. But I posted the literally exact message in their board, and was bombarded by psycho-old ladies accusing me of promoting this site, being in-sincere, and not having any idea how to quit at all because I relapsed. Over here, the most heckling I've received is from Wiley's train gif. lol I kind of ranted off on them, so I imagine I will be banned anyway, either way, it feels good to be home. Home isn't what the dwelling looks like, but the people who occupy it with you. And there are nothing but good people here. I will keep you all in the know of my plan, but it's what I want. I have come back with some new knowledge, and a better mentality about it and myself!

• Like 9

I don't know how many of you still continue to go to QSMB. But I posted the literally exact message in their board, and was bombarded by psycho-old ladies accusing me of promoting this site, being in-sincere, and not having any idea how to quit at all because I relapsed. Over here, the most heckling I've received is from Wiley's train gif. lol I kind of ranted off on them, so I imagine I will be banned anyway, either way, it feels good to be home. Home isn't what the dwelling looks like, but the people who occupy it with you. And there are nothing but good people here. I will keep you all in the know of my plan, but it's what I want. I have come back with some new knowledge, and a better mentality about it and myself!

psycho old ladies  :rofl:

of course we are all sane young fillies here  :crazy:  :girl_crazy:  :girl_cray2:

• Like 6

Hi, TAC!  I hope to see you and your friend here with forever quits very soon!!

UH … Nancy I think it's HAT not TAC …. Please edit before the bakon see's that …  :P

• Like 5

I also would like to give a comment of commendation to MQ. In the early stages of my relapse, I constantly thought of all the conversations we've had in the past, good or bad. It really helped in the sense that, though I feel I have a pretty good attitude about quitting, I now know where I was lacking in attitude. I thought I had completed the transformation of changing my state of mind, and I hadn't. Replaying our talks has helped me realize that, and know where I need to be to make it an absolute thing. So thank you for having those talks with me in the past. As well as everybody else I've had the pleasure of talking with and having help me here before! By the way, is Colleen and Babs still around, I MISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS them! lol

• Like 2

Glad to see you back, HAT.  I hope you and your friend can help hold each other accountable.  Tell him there's plenty of room on the train for him and the coffee is free.  :)

Wait, the coffee is free?  Ava told me it was $1.00 a cup and that if I pay her she'll make sure you get it....

• Like 2

Wait, the coffee is free?  Ava told me it was $1.00 a cup and that if I pay her she'll make sure you get it....

She's a bum and is charging for coffee to buy books.  You're not the first person to bring this to my attention, sadly.

Ava.  Nevermind. lol :friends:

• Like 4

I also would like to give a comment of commendation to MQ. In the early stages of my relapse, I constantly thought of all the conversations we've had in the past, good or bad. It really helped in the sense that, though I feel I have a pretty good attitude about quitting, I now know where I was lacking in attitude. I thought I had completed the transformation of changing my state of mind, and I hadn't. Replaying our talks has helped me realize that, and know where I need to be to make it an absolute thing. So thank you for having those talks with me in the past. As well as everybody else I've had the pleasure of talking with and having help me here before! By the way, is Colleen and Babs still around, I MISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS them! lol

Hey, no problem.  Colleen and babs are still here.  They've been busy lately but still pop in.  :)

• Like 1