SOS from Newbie. Help !!!

Sal

Sal, here`s hoping you didn`t give in to the crave but if you did people are still here to help. Toss them out and start over. You wouldn`t be the first to fail here. We have all done it. This isn`t easy but it is well worth it and it will become easier with time. Best wishes and let us know. Failing is nothing to be ashamed of. If you really want to stop giving up is. You can do this. A few bumps in the beginning but it will get manageable.

• Like 3

Sal, Welcome and Merry Christmas!

Cravings are like surfing: you have to ride the waves. There are all sorts of tools folks share on this board that make it way easier to get past the initial challenges but what worked for me is to understand the cravings were a RELEASE OF THE DISEASE.

Nicotine addiction is no different from any other drug addiction/disease. Educate yourself on the physical process of withdrawal so you can reframe the urge to smoke into the understanding that the signal will be there so long as we feed it. Once we stop feeding it (eventually) it stops demanding we do so.

This is a great place to share so stick close-these folks know what they are talking about.

• Like 4

Merry Christmas Sal, I hope you did not give in and smoke.  These cravings are a normal thing that is going to happen.  I finally, for myself, realized that it was not so much a physical thing but more so a mental thing.  Smoking was my normal response for forty years when I was nervous, uncomfortable or just felt stressed.  I have accepted that I will always have those feelings, even when I still smoked I still had to deal with those feelings.  I never thought I would be able to quit but I have not had a cigarette in six months and it gets easier everyday.  You just have to focus on other things when the crave comes. You can do it, believe in yourself!

• Like 3

@Sal, how are you doing today? Hopefully you didn't cave to a crave because honestly four hours is a drop in the bucket compared to forever. You REALLY have to decide that you have to quit! It's going to suck, there will be tough days but there will also be easier days and with each crave you get past it WILL get weaker. 

Did you try the air cigarette? What things do you do where you don't smoke? Do those! Keep your oxygen on 24/7, you can't smoke on oxygen!!

AND if your wife is willing, ask her to not bring cigarettes home. I know that I would not be able to be in a house knowing there were cigarettes there when I was newly quit.

• Like 3

@Sal I agree with @jillar.  It must really be hard know that cigs are in the house. When I smoked that last one I had I knew it was the last one.  There was not a reason to buy more. I did not smoke in the house but I also threw away my outdoor ashtray.  Did not want to smell of see it when I took the dogs out.  I know that your wife also smokes/or did and you had mentioned that she wanted to quit with you.  That is a tough place to be.  You are going to be on edge, grumpy, have trouble sleeping etc.  A different way to look at it is, you have each other.  If one or both of you don't quit someone will be without their love, their life partner way to soon.  I have been a widow for a decade, their are many of us here. Losing your spouse is something that you do not recover from. There are no do overs, there is only the here and now to change your life.  There are many here that have health issues, chronic pain as well.  I know you feel bad but it will only get worse if you keep smoking.  I don't think you want to take that chance.  It is Christmas Day, give yourself the best gift ever so next year we can talk about how much better you feel. 

• Like 4

@Sal You need to fight the crave!! Drink some water, take a walk. eat some candy!!

When I first started my quit I ate a ton of red licorice every time I wanted to smoke.

It will get easier trust me. Don't through your quit away you will have to start all over.

Go to the social page and play some of the silly games!!!

• Like 2

Yes, the clues given to you on how to get past the craves. Most of the above posts have things to try to help you past your crave. From taking walks to using an air cigarette and everything in between.

So its been one hour since your last cigarette?! 

• Like 2

Holidays can be especially difficult, but don't let them be your excuse.

Do you have a list of things to do instead of smoke?

The CD is great, but have some other stuff in your arsenal.

(gum, mints, a quick walk, a shower or bath, come here and read or play games, singing always helped me, a lollipop, cuddling or dancing with a pet if you have one)

You can do it.....you really can!

Do you have a favorite mantra yet?

I repeated Smoking Is Not An Option - NO Matter What

You will be surprised how strong you are once you commit to the quit.

• Like 4

@Sal, You are the only one in charge there.  This is a hard thing, at first, I know you are struggling with how to do it.  Everyone is giving you ideas to help you but you have got to want to help you.

You are not going to let a little 4 inch long stick of paper take your life.  You are already on oxygen, you know how serious that is.  How would you feel if you did not have oxygen, if you ran out, what would happen.  Well that is what you are facing.  If you continue to smoke your lung function will continue to go lower until they will not work at all even with oxygen. You know all of this to be true. You have to do this for yourself, we can give you all the support and advice but until you fight like hell to get thru the first few days nothing will change.  You have to be the hero in your life!!

• Like 4

@Sal I hope you are hanging in there, That you are asleep.  It will come again in the morning. Try to change things up, instead of coffee have juice or a hot chocolate. Crossword puzzle books would

help keep your mind busy. Go to a hobby store and get regular puzzles, model cars, planes, things you can put together.  They now have coloring books for grown ups that keep your hands busy.

• Like 3