Can't quit trying not to but the urge is great.

Tokiea

Hello @Tokiea! NOPE, NOPE, NOPE, NOPE!! It will be SO worth it if you stick with your quit! I literally thought that I was losing  my mind during my initial quit. I was not fit to leave my bed. I cried and cried and cried while curled up in the fetal position with the blankets over my head for three days! I was gnashing my teeth, biting my tongue, moaning and groaning, and screaming silent screams over and over and over again. And that was on the patch!!! But I survived. I made it through! And you can too!!! Water, juice, walk, run, shut yourself off and away from society and let the ugly run it’s course, but ALWAYS stay close to the train! Do whatever you have to do to quit! It feels AMAZING! SO flipping AMAZING! I WAS a 40 year and 2 pack a day smoker! I started when I was 15.  But, now? Now, I am a non smoker! Now, I don’t smoke! AND IT IS AMAZING!!! 🤗
*I’m a newbie quitter. 3 months shy come Friday of having been quit for a full year and I’m so excited about! I never thought that ‘I’ could do it. But ‘I’ did and ‘you’ can too!

Edited by Gus
  • Like 7

Thank you @intoxicated yoda

and you are welcome! I feel the same way you do about seeing the ‘little pieces of struggle’ others suffer during their initial quit. It helps so much. Being open and honest about it helps you and everyone else! It helps you know what you might experience and some ways to help get you through! This train we are on can’t be stopped! It’s powered by the best crew of quitters available! 

Edited by Gus
  • Like 7

Hello and welcome @Tokiea.....

Great decision to take your life back ....being ruled by addiction is Crap ...

You can do it ....you just need some tools to help you along ....

Go to the Main Smoking Discussion Board....there you find a huge amount of great information ,they 

are pinned in green ...

We have all been where you are ....it's doable ....you just need to wait it bad enough ....

And to believe in yourself ....Read all you can ...then read it again ....🐸

• Like 8

Once we allow ourselves to get hooked on nicotine, we have two choices.

Choice A: Confront the addiction head on by quitting and deal with temporary cravings for a little while.

Choice B: Continue smoking and living in a constant state of fluctuating withdrawal and resign ourselves to a lifetime of addiction.

Choice A is an exercise in delayed gratification that will reward you for the rest of your life.  Choice B is a life sentence that will take everything and offers nothing in return.

The choice is obvious.

• Like 9

Welcome @Tokiea

Quitting smoking is a great thing but it can be tough early on.  It is very doable, though, as the people on this site can attest to.

Read up on addiction to nicotine in this site's quit smoking main board and continue to reach out for help if needed.  Knowledge about the addiction and support from former smokers can really help you in maintaining your quit.

• Like 7

Welcome Tokiea, congratulations for making the decision to take back your life. You can do this because you are stronger than the addiction. You just need to believe in yourself and get educated on this addiction. So, read as much as you can and watch all the videos. Knowledge is power and always remember we are here for you.

Edited by Mac#23
  • Like 4

Welcome, @Tokiea! Yup, quitting is hard. Hardest thing I ever did ,.. but I had no choice. Well, actually I did have a choice...quit or die! Stick w the train. The online support you will get and the knowledge you will learn here are what got many of us through the tough times. I can't stress enough read everything you can here, watch Joel's videos and join in the forums. Knowledge is power! 😷 

• Like 6

Ya smoking sucks and dying sucks worse

Your urges to smoke are no greater than anyone else's, sorry to say.

The will to not smoke has to win the battle over the will to smoke, and until that day dawns you'll always just lurk here.

Join the club- quit sticking something in your mouth and lighting it.

It will be tough at first, but you'll slowly gain confidence in your quit as it gets stronger every day.

Choose you, it's the best gift you can give yourself this holiday season.

And hope to see ya around ;) 

• Like 5

I am completely nicotine free .

Nowadays when i have an uneasy feeling or restlessness or or some cravings which i cant control .

I chew black pepper instead .

Believe it or not , The cravings and the anxiety goes away after chewing it .

Whenever the anxiety and cravings comes again , i chew the black pepper again .

It has been working for me .

That way i don't have to depend on sweets or junk foods for a better feeling .

Maybe it will work for you too :)

Edited by Sunshine59
  • Like 4

They are telling you the truth.  It is going to be hard. You might cry and feel like you are losing your mind. It is in fact that we have been addicted to a drug. It is a painful thing to give up somethng that we thought was just a habit, that we do something that does not matter.  They often say that quiting smoking is harder than quiting so called drug addiction.  Guess what smoking  is an addiction to nicotine.  It is so much easier to give in to our addiction.  We can walk into any store and buy this drug legally.  We can use this drug in public. As far as I know there are no rehab programs that treat nicotine addiction.  The world still sees smoking as choice, they do not understand this for the drug addiction it is.  There in lies the problem.  We are left to fight this battle on our own.  Welcome to rehab, all of us here are going thru rehab.  Many have done it, they are the professionals that will help us.  I am six months in but I am still in rehab.  I have not yet made it to the point that I don't want to smoke but I am to the point where I know I am not going to smoke.  I take this as a victory, a celebration. Nothing done well is without sacrifice, we have done these hard things before and we can do this one. We just talk to each other when things are tough.  There are so many here to support you, just reach out.  We will be here.

• Like 4

On 12/22/2021 at 11:09 AM, Sunshine59 said:

I am completely nicotine free .

Nowadays when i have an uneasy feeling or restlessness or or some cravings which i cant control .

I chew black pepper instead .

Believe it or not , The cravings and the anxiety goes away after chewing it .

Whenever the anxiety and cravings comes again , i chew the black pepper again .

It has been working for me .

That way i don't have to depend on sweets or junk foods for a better feeling .

Maybe it will work for you too :)

do you get the peppercorns or what exactly?  I'd like to try this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I get it. It’s so hard to see the light when you live in the weeds. My advice, just keep saying NOPE. Yes, sounds stupid but gave me a 9 year quit so far. Every time that demon says smoke, you say NOPE! It will pass. Every single time, say NOPE and I promise it will get easier over time. You got this! 

• Like 5