Chrissy Fare.... what's Christmas Food for you?

notsmokinjo

Omg...salivating.

I love me some lemon myrtle. Over winter I took to chucking a couple of leaves in milk (oat for me) in a pan on the stove, warming the milk and adding a handful of white or milk chocolate buds (none for me, but I'd add some Activite) and stirring till they melted...best hot choccie ever.a few crushed in a jug of ginger beer or lemon cordial goes down well too.

Um @Cbdave...after thought but isn't the lack of Bundy in your house grounds for handing in your queenslander card?

Oh and glad you liked the coleslaw alternative.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Omg...salivating.

I love me some lemon myrtle. Over winter I took to chucking a couple of leaves in milk (oat for me) in a pan on the stove, warming the milk and adding a handful of white or milk chocolate buds (none for me, but I'd add some Activite) and stirring till they melted...best hot choccie ever.a few crushed in a jug of ginger beer or lemon cordial goes down well too.

Um @Cbdave...after thought but isn't the lack of Bundy in your house grounds for handing in your queenslander card?

Oh and glad you liked the coleslaw alternative.

G’day Jo

Actually there is bundy…… but it’s in a can with coke in it!

• Haha 1

About time to fire up the smoker.  I'm smoking a turkey tonight and a ham first thing in the morning.  Finally decided on apple wood pellets for the turkey.  Keeping it simple with the ham, maple wood pellets and a brown sugar glaze.  Sugar Britches laughs at me for how much internal debate I have with myself over choosing the right wood flavors.

Speaking of the better-half, she will be making deviled eggs tonight....that woman makes a damn good deviled egg.

Merry Christmas folks.

• Like 5

Love it, one year there was a family fiasco, husband decided he must smoke a turkey at the last minute.  I told him he would never find a fresh not frozen turkey.  Guess who lost, that would be me and I hate to eat crow but that is what I did(as per Andy Griffith)  We also love deviled eggs, mine will never live up to my husband's,  I was allowed to boil and peel, then step aside and let the magic happen.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

Oh !!! Boy .....this sounds delicious.....set another place at the table 👍😀

Always room for one more Doreen.  We'll leave a light on for you.

13 minutes ago, Kris said:

Love it, one year there was a family fiasco, husband decided he must smoke a turkey at the last minute. 

I have an uncle that tried to deep fry a turkey one Thanksgiving before giving it time to thaw out.  Fortunately, everybody lived to tell about it and the property damage was minimal.

final judgment GIF

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I will warn you when try these you will find a favorite.  I would ask @Boo for Sugar Britches recipe. I don't have one as my husband was a little of this and that, but always great.  There are so many ways to go.  Some people use regular mustard and mayo, my husband used powered mustard, sometimes, pickles, olives, balck and or green, of course there was mayo involved.  The only thing I know for sure is he always sprinkled with paprika as the finishing touch.

• Like 1

G’day 

My youngest made it up from Melbourne, haven’t seen him in too long and his mum just can’t leave him for a min. I’m pushing to get some time with him.

We were to be hosted at my nephews but my great nephews in hospital with pneumonia. Poor little tyke is only 18 months old and has been pretty sick but  he will get out tonight. 
Last min I’m getting things together with my boys and we are getting everything we need for 6 people and heading of to nephews on Christmas morning. So this has turned out a Christmas to remember for many different reasons ……..

• Like 6

On 12/23/2021 at 5:26 PM, Kris said:

I will warn you when try these you will find a favorite.  I would ask @Boo for Sugar Britches recipe. 

Sugar Britches' recipe is pretty uniform.  The secret is to knowing just how much mustard and salt to go with the number of eggs being prepared.  Many a good deviled egg has been ruined by people overdoing it on the mustard and salt.  Sugar Britches knows the formula.

It is strictly a matter of preference, but she also uses dill relish rather than sweet relish.  I've had both and prefer dill relish.

On 12/23/2021 at 5:26 PM, Kris said:

The only thing I know for sure is he always sprinkled with paprika as the finishing touch.

It's not a proper deviled egg until they have been sprinkled with paprika.  Some folks get cute and try other toppings...but they always come back around to paprika.

• Like 4

Devilled Eggs are a thing down here too...

If I'm taking them to an event with dad's relos we do Bogan Devilled Eggs.... for every 6 hard boiled eggs, peel, cut in half scoop out the yolks and add 2 tbs mayonnaise, 1 tbs curry powder and a pinch pepper, mix and stuff back into egg whites then sprinkle with paprika..... if I'm off to mum's relos I whip out me Country Women's Association cookbook and mix my egg yolks with 1/3 cup Mayo, 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon Finley chopped chives and 1 of finely chopped flat leaves parsley.

Now I want a curry egg and lettuce sanga, guess I'll have one for lunch today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

G’day 

Well today’s a big day on the Christmas feast calendar. Hams been finished and it’s time for the bone to go to the freezer. Next time we see it will be winter and it’s due to be pea and ham soup……. 

• Like 6

It is 6:00 p.m. local time, meaning we are at T-minus one hour from our big New Year's Eve seafood extravaganza.  We got lobster.  We got shrimp.  We got salmon.  We got scallops.  We got crab cakes....

There's no way of knowing what the future holds, but I know I'm not going into the new year on an empty stomach.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1