Post a Song you Like

babs609

OK so this should probably go in the confession thread... but when I was younger, so much younger than today I thought this was the Original version of HELP and when I heard The Beatles version the first time I thought it was a sh1tty copy....

So 100 years ago today my Great Grandfather was getting ready to take part in the second Battle of Villers-Bretonneux. He has been at war since 1914 and while he wasn't at the landing for Gallipoli he was in the first re-inforcements and fought in the trenches for the battle of Lone Pine, he was in the trenches of Belgium and France. He came home. So today as all the Aussies and Kiwis remember all who have served, in all the wars we have been to, when we reflect on the futility and horror of war we thank those men an women who gave the altimate sacrafice, we think of those who came back broken inside and out, we think of those still in far off places wearing the uniforms of our countries. So this ones for my GG Thom, its for my grandma's 8 uncles, brothers from a little mining town who went of to WWI, 1 died on the beaches at the landing, 3 of his brothers rest with him in far off Turkey, 1 is in Belgium, 1 is in France and 2 came home so broken one died of injuries 18mths later and the other took his own life. For those boys I remember. For my Grandad who went off to WWII and my great uncles Surrey, Jack, Bert, Ernie & Freddy. For Llyod who was at Korea. For Pete, Neil & Barry for Vietnam. For Allistair, Paul, Pat & Chris, East Timor, Iraq & Afghanistan. The boys in my family have surved in the army, the navy and the airforce. So for them, and for all those who have and do serve still ....

• Thanks 1

This song is based on true events, WWI, 1916 The Battle of the Fromelles is known as the Darkest day in Australian History. In just a few hours 5,533 Aussies were butchered in futile charges across no mans land.  1, 804 of these were the Victorians of 15th Brigade lead by Pompey Elliot (After Fromelles Pompey refused to follow British orders and never again would his soldiers charge no mans land if there was no probability of success and definitely not as a diversion for some other action). Pompey Elliot toured the trenches as the remnants struggled back in he greated ever man with tears streaming down his face. Dunolly is a country town in Victoria, all the young lads went off to fight in WWI, those that survived gallipoli went on to fight in France. After the Battle of Fromelles, only one remained alive and he was injured so badly he earnt his return to Aus, but he was coming home as the only man from his town to survive, a whole generation gone and only 1 left. This song is based on that.

Here are some of our boys in WWII marching to a national song, Waltzing Matilda...

then (especially the Yanks) I have included a Johnny Cash singing the song with his translation...  it reasonably ok... but I think Cole Joy was having a lend of him... a billy is just a pot to boil water in for your tea... and a jumbuck... is a frickin sheep.then (especially the Yanks) I have included a Johnny Cash singing the song with his translation...  it reasonably ok... but I think Cole Joy was having a lend of him... a billy is just a pot to boil water in for your tea... and a jumbuck... is a frickin sheep.