Post a Song you Like

babs609

Can't believe you mob all missed this opportunity...so your welcome....

And cos if ya listen to the lyrics this is all the states..

And cos when British kids grow up in Aus they get good...lol...

But you do know, the best state of all ain't even in The USofA.....The Kinks knew...that's right...it's:

In the the greatest land on earth....

• Like 3

I think we need a song count, did Louisiana out song Tennessee?

Well in honour of NAIDOC week I am limiting my musical offerings this week to the oldest culture in the world and only sharing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists. Keep your ears ready for original v cover #3 this week which will have a NAIDOC theme....it's a ripper....but thats later in the week.

So we can't really start a NAIDOC week without a welcome to country, for ours we'll head north to Brydon Bay (the most eastern point of mainland Aus) and a welcome dance from one of the north NSW nations..

While the didges are out here is some  fusion from truely great music, William Barton, first came across this young fella at a blues festival...but lately he's been going a bit more classical....

And last month at Hawkey's memorial, doing a song you will all know...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RIP Joao Gillberto

The classic recordings below with Stan Getz introduced Gilberto, Jobim and the bossa nova to the US and posts further afield.

You may be familiar with 'Girl From Ipanema'...

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Moving along with NAIDOC week, today is Jimmy Little day....well actually I'm going to sneak a Howard Blair in there, the first Aboriginal to go to Julliard, he was not even considered a citizen of his own country so had to get a special passport (we aren't squeaky clean Saz)...but I managed to find an old recording or a traditional Aboriginal hymn arranged by Peter Sculthorpe...

But as I said today is Jimmy Little day.... it's been hard to whittle down his huge catalogue to find which songs to play...and a little sad that political correctness has seen one of the songs I want be unavailable...see not only was Jimmy the first Aboriginal to break into the mainstream market and inspire a generation by being on telly...he was doing all of this when his people weren't citizens..he was the first Aboriginal to record and chart a song written by an Aboriginal (his dad)...if you can ever find it, check it out "Give the Black Boy a Go"...can't imagine why it's not online but considering it was written by an Aboriginal for an Aboriginal to sing and is historically significant I wish the wowsers would get over themselves .... So instead, here is his first chart topper (although I prefer the way he sang it when he was older)...Jimmy is just one of a few Yorta Yorta who you will be hearing from....but this performance on Bandstand was a first, made the country wake up and give his people pride...

Some voice just get better with age..

• Like 1