On my 5th day after quitting cigarettes! I just smoked one! I slipped and panicked

Leenyc3

I was a binge party smoker of long little Capri cigarettes. Then I started smoking them everyday and skip a day. I didn’t even smoke them right and smoked them to the back of my throat and didn’t inhale. Now I have throat problems. Doctor said I got a chance so I quit 5 days ago. I was doing well and then slipped up today and smoked one. I’m panicked now and my heads buzzing probably from the Oxygen. What should I do? 

Sorry you gave in to the crave!! Dust yourself off,get rid of the cigarettes!!!

Start over again!! There is a lot of good support here!! Read all you can , stay close

to the train, reach out if you are struggling!!! You can do this and we will help you!!

• Like 4

You’re fine. The buzzing will stop. My son has the same thing happen when he suffers a panic attack. Drink lots of cold water. Also, you need to get rid of any cigarettes you have access to. Toss the lighters and the ashtrays too. A nice brisk walk will also help alleviate your stress. The great thing is that if you don’t light up again you are already a non smoker…again. A lot of smokers fail on their first attempt. You are not alone on this! Try to pinpoint what your trigger was, make a note of it and try to avoid the same situation or adjust how you respond to it the next time it happens. I can tell that you are serious about quitting by the fact that you’ve reached out for help. Great going and stay close to the forum. We are here to help! 🤗

• Like 3

Welcome aboard @Leenyc3 and congratulations on deciding to quit. First of all I agree that you need to get rid of any smokes you have around, its a temptation you don't need! It takes about three days for the nicotine to leave your system so each time you reintroduce it you have to go through that all over again, who wants to keep doing that right?!

Stick close and check out all the great information we have about our addiction so you can better succeed too :) 

• Like 2

Ok thanks. I sat at home those days without cigarettes and as soon as I got out I bought a pack . Just in case or would make me feel better with them around. I’m reading Alan Carr’s book. I did take the class years ago and stopped for a year. It is more of the Romance I guess for me. My friend. On my beautiful patio in my chair with a glass of red wine. I can go days without a cigarette so my Doctor said it’s not the nicotine as much as the social part of it. Doctor said do not do patches,gum or such for I would get more nicotine then I’m smoking. I dunno

• Like 2

@Leenyc3Hi! Welcome. Alan's book really helped me. I made flashcards so I would have something to remind me of why I wanted to remain a non-smoker at the ready. I review them daily and, at the beginning of my quit when I was in withdrawal, on the half hour. If you are able to go "days" without smoking, that is amazing because I couldn't. The key is to address what you believe the cigarette is doing for you and look at that honestly. We all viewed smokes as a "friend," but they were never that. Since we imbued cigarettes with all sorts of qualities they never had, we can undo that belief as well. Wishing you strength. Stick around here-it really helps. Read everything and post often. 

• Like 3

Hello Leenyc3 ,

First of all please excuse my English , I am from India . Age 36

Smoking only gives a 2 minute satisfaction  , And after that you feel really bad for ruining your health

picture.jpg

If you can control that triggers or craving for few minutes . It will benefit your health in the long run :)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Leenyc3 said:

I started my quit again and feeling better. I almost gave up-scared to smoke again and say I can’t do it .

You can do it ...we are all proof it's possible ...believe in yourself ....you just have to want it bad enough..

Turn all your negative thoughts in to positive ones ....

Your freeing yourself of slavery ...your amazing ....

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Leenyc3 said:

Just don’t know how to get rid of the feeling of just wanting to go smoke one at anytime. How do I stop that urge?

There's no getting around it, but you will get through it.

Cravings are temporary and diminish with time.

9 minutes ago, KEL said:

Time. Practice. Patience.

Yep.

• Like 3

Ignore the slip. Get back to it. I was a serial quitter, seriously. I took me more than two years of attempts. I'd last for a month, a week, a day, two hours. And I'd slip. 

I wrote out my reasons, I copy/pasted gross pictures of the consequences of smoking--cancers of the mouth, gangrenous toes, etc. For a while, nothing worked. 

But I didn't quit on myself. I kept looking for a strong reason, an incontrovertible reason to quit. Mine was Covid. A smoker who gets Covid is asking for double trouble.

Find your reason, and there won't be any more slips.

:) 

• Like 3

Panic, panic how to just get thru another day, even before I quit, I had it everyday. How could I get thru everyday without the fear of everything.  Then I realized I have lived to see another day despite my fears.  No, I am not like everyone else and never will be but I can be content if I just stop fightng the fear.  If something is going to happen it will, I have not control over it.  It is okay to be fearful, to panic but I want to enjoy what I can when I can.  If I drop dead at the mall, in a bowling alley, at a wedding at least they are things I would not have missed.  I quit smoking to have the possibities of  all I might see, all I might do.  We only have one chance, I don't want to throw them away. You are young with so may adventures and possiblites. Do not throw that away lightly, smoking will only cause terrible things for you health. Keep you from the life you deserve. Be proud and stand strong the world awaits you!!

• Like 3

@BooYes. Its so fascinating to see what works for each person. For me, I just got tired of the GUILT. Once I made the serious attempt (4 years ago) and failed so many times since, it was like a pervasive fog. I felt so crappy about myself. I couldn't even argue with it anymore because I knew how it did feel to be free. So much better than smoking for sure.

@Leenyc3Just stick with it. Stay close to these folks because they sure know what they are talking about.

Gratitude for each and everyone on the QuitTrain.

K

• Like 3