Covid up tick

Linda

I'm actually feeling much better now on day 5 of my Covid journey 🙂 

Here's some take-aways I have so far from having contracted the strain of this virus that I got ( whatever variant that was?). And remember .... I'm an X-smoker just like the rest of you who smoked for decades and damaged my poor lungs way more than I ever wanted to.

1. There's no way to tell where or even when I actually got the virus. I'm pretty careful with masking and social distancing and hand washing since the onset of Covid yet still ....... I got the virus somehow/somewhere. It's a balance of living life vs staying safe at all costs and clearly, there was a bullet in the chamber for me after 2.5 years of dodging this thing.

2. It's NOT like a cold and it's NOT like the flu. It shares a few symptoms with those illnesses but somehow, Covid feels very different. I clearly had a mild case and I never felt it was affecting my lungs. More of an upper airways thing (throat & nose).

3. The brain fog I had was real and a little concerning. It scares me to not feel I'm in control of my focus and motor functions. I was not in control for at least two days or so (good thing I wasn't driving).

4. The fatigue I experienced was fairly mild - not like being knocked on your a*s as the flu tends to do. It was fleeting and came on me suddenly, without warning at times. Sleep was not in large chunks but in small bites.

5. I did not experience many symptoms that others experience like, fever and debilitating headaches. I suppose I was lucky in that regard. I was not sick to my stomach and ate regularly although in lesser volume. I kept hydrated throughout.

6. The coughing was unrelenting at times and unproductive mostly but sometimes producing a bit of clear mucus.

7. My biggest beef with having Covid is that I completely lost all sense of taste and smell! This still persists even though I am feeling pretty decent now and other symptoms are weakening. I had heard this was a very common symptom but I promise you; you can never understand just how profoundly this affects your daily routine until you experience it. I know I did not comprehend what effect that would have on me. Suddenly, mealtime is a disappointment - something to be avoided. Unfulfilling best describes it! Eating become merely a life sustaining function without the joy of mouthwatering flavours. Textures, temperature & spices are all you can hope to experience. I long for the return of taste more than anything at this point. Texture & sustenance is not enough!

Not sure why I wrote this down because it just my experience but perhaps it will serve some purpose in illustrating what some aspects of a Covid experience might be like for others? 

Edited by reciprocity
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

I'm so glad you're having a mild case @reciprocity. My ex SIL lost her sense of taste and smell too and it took a while for her to get it back. Hopefully yours is back soon.

Hope you and your boyfriend are doing good @Rozuki and on the mend now too....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for your well wishes!

Glad you are feeling better, Reci!

I had an extremely mild case. No loss of smell or taste for either of us. The BF had a little bit worse experience with it. Bad cough and fatigue for over a week. We both went for the infusion to create more antibodies to fight off the virus.

We, too, wear masks when out in public and wash or sanitize hands constantly. I did have to remind the BF to do this, sometimes! I believe the BF got it while out and about during the week while I stayed at home. 🙄

• Like 2

Sorry to hear you both went through this, girls. Somehow I continue to avoid it. I don’t go out much, but my boyfriend interacts with dozens of people, almost daily. Despite the recent increase in cases nationwide, almost no one is masking up anymore. We have both just gotten our second booster shots (Moderna). So if/when we do get it, hopefully it’s mild. My youngest son, who just traveled to Guam, from Japan, and back, got it for the second time, despite having been vaccinated with The J and J vaccine. Both times he tested positive, it was after traveling to a different part of the world. He said this time it felt like mild allergies. First time he had it, ( just 6 months ago), he said it felt like a regular head cold. Interestingly, the Armed Forces are not allowing the J and J vaccine any longer, because of reports of some severe heart side effects in young adults. Another son has also had it twice, but is also fine. He explained the worst part was the lingering cough, even after he felt better.

When John and I got our boosters last week, the Pharmacist told us to stop wearing masks. She said that we need to be exposed, in order to build up immunity. Not sure I’m buying that, but she may be right. Here’s hoping we all stay well, and if infected, come through it relatively unscathed….

Kat 

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

G’day 

Well that wasn’t what I would call a fun 5 days. I was kinda hoping if I got the COVID I’d have a mild dose but it seems that commodities like COPD and strokes and cancer do count.
I ended up getting monitored at home. It was oxygen meters and thermometers and constant phone calls from my GP and various nurses. They took away all my meds and put me on a special course of antivirals. I’m grateful for those recon they got me through. Just kept above the dreaded 90 on the oxygen level and the ambulance at the door to drag me off to hospital. 
I’ve spent my time in tracky daks in a blanket sitting up in a chair. Couldn’t lay down and fall asleep if you did your lungs would start to fill and you’d wake and cough to clear your lungs to breath. The pain in my chest was bad .. every cough was so painful. I though I was pretty tough but I’m not.

Recon I’m through the worst of it. I’m still coughing up fur balls but no pain. Starving hungry gunna have a big breakfast eggs bacon sausage grilled tomatoe….mmmm.

Please don’t feel sorry for me I’m on the mend. Please be careful. This COVID is pretty serious especially if you’ve got any other health problems.

Stay Safe

PS if you haven’t yet,  do yourself a favour…. Give the smokes away

• Sad 3

I am so glad you are feeling better.  I have avoided it so far and I am scared this new strain might be the one that gets me.  I wish I could have been there to fix you that good breakfast and a lot of comfort food that would bring back your strength.  Everyone should be pampered when they are that ill. Take care and keep us updated.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Kris said:

I am so glad you are feeling better.  I have avoided it so far and I am scared this new strain might be the one that gets me.  I wish I could have been there to fix you that good breakfast and a lot of comfort food that would bring back your strength.  Everyone should be pampered when they are that ill. Take care and keep us updated.

G’day 

Thats so sweet of you to say. Thank you!

I’ve had my sweetheart look after me. It’s hard for us both. She is clear and I have to quarantine away from her. She’s been my rock. 
Cant buy her flowers cause I’m yet to get out of quarantine so this is the best of them from my mid winter garden. They are not “store bought” but we’ve brought up two boys without “store bought” so I’m shore she’ll like them….

regards Chris

FB68AA4B-E63A-4081-B6D2-19C6D004D841.png

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, BAT said:

@Linda Thank You. I feel a little crappy but I should be better in a few days. Should be back at work by Friday. Hopefully. But for now I'm in my recliner with my remote and a Coke. Dr's orders. Lol

@BAT Hope so, don't push yourself!! Take care and keep the recliner warm lol

• Like 2