Covid up tick

Linda

Okay, I am going to ask, what is happening in your part of the world?  They say one in three in our area are testing positive for this new omicron.  I decided I had to go out to the grocery store today for fresh veggies and milk. I wore my mask and most were.  The store was not crowded so that made me feel at ease.  First thing I see just a couple of blocks from my home is a free testing site.  Cars are backed up in the center lane and police are there to direct traffic in and out.if the parking lot. I had never seen this before, not even at the beginning of the pandemic.  I think if might be a response to the kids going back to school after the holiday but I am not sure.  At least I got that out of the way and won't need to go back out for a couple of weeks.

Cases are skyrocketing here @Kris. We're seeing numbers over 500 daily! And you can't find any at home Covid tests at any stores because they sell out as soon as they get them! Not sure about testing sites but they won't test you unless you're showing symptoms. Luckily because of all those vaccinated and the fact that the Omicron variant is milder our ICU's aren't overwhelmed but there are a lot of people hospitalized.

Same here guys ...numbers are scarey ...hospitals are having a tough time coping ...

I did manage to order free lateral tests yesterday ..7 in a pack ...

Grandkids had to go to thier school yesterday for a test ,before they went back today ...

Up till now Boris is not changing any rules ,only travel ...

Same here @Doreensfree, just travel and the mask mandates. No shutdowns like before. But man we went from over 500 a day to over 800 yesterday and over 1200 new cases today! And that's just our county! 

The hospitals have started restricting visitors regardless of vaccination status but it wasn't by order. Luckily our ICU is still low but our regular beds are filling up 😞

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I ordered them, too, right after talking to my two youngest sons, who both got Covid recently. Kevin was pretty sick for a few days, with a pretty high fever, and Ian said his felt like a regular cold. Ian happened to be in the US, when he got it. He said there were over 1,000 people in line at customs, in the Airport in Chicago, so pretty sure he got infected there. Kevin was sitting next to a guy, in his office, who had been to a holiday party, with a known Covid positive person. When Ian got back to his base, in Japan, over 500 people, on base, had tested positive in the past 2 weeks. That is 1 out of 10 stationed there. They have strict rules on base, too.this Omicron is everywhere. Though it’s more highly transmissible than previous variants, it seems to be less severe. So, there’s that. By the way, both Kevin and Ian were fully vaccinated.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just want to touch base on this.  How is everyone feeling with the new information we are getting?  Here in Texas they are calling off the mask mandates.  In the couple of times I have been out, I have worn my mask and practiced the same social distancing.  People look at me like I am out of my mind.   How do we forget so soon that we had a vaccine, we would be safe, only to have a variants that would come and take so many lives when they thought they were safe.  They had been vaccinated and thought they could go back to normal life, traveling, being with friends and family. Even just going to a movie, a concert, out to dinner.  Next thing we know people are very sick, in the hospital and dying.  

They say we are moving into an endemic, like the flu, that we will now just have to be vaccinated every year.  Believe me, I get vaccinated for everything, flu, pnuemonia, shingles. 

Is anyone else letting their guard down? Funny thing is for me this is the first year I can remember that I have not had a cold or bronchitis.  I think part of it is not smoking and part avoiding exposure. 

@KrisThey are rolling back the mask mandates here in Southern Colorado (tourist town with lots of retirees). I don't wear a mask all the time but definitely when I am shopping or in a space with many folks (like a recovery meeting). I am vaxxed and boosted, rarely get ill. But I am with you. In addition to avoiding COVID, distancing and masking helps us to not be exposed to other bugs. Stay well my dear.

Edited by KEL
  • Like 2

There are no rules here now ...( Sigh)....even if you have COVID ...you just go about your daily business 

Effecting who knows ....no testing ...nothing ...

I still wear a mask when I go mixing with others ...it's only my age group that bother ...

I'm vaxxed and boosted too but being high risk I'll probably be wearing my mask for a long time to come. It's sad here in my city though that people mock others who wear a mask still. Especially while driving alone. I've found myself doing it but only because my estranged husband takes my car and has passengers in it and goes to all kinds of public events leaving me vulnerable to all kinds of germs. 

Of course it doesn't help that I've ALWAYS been a hypochondriac to a small degree lol

Edited by jillar
  • Sad 2

I applaud you for making sure you are not exposed. I am going to keep up the mask and social distancing.  @jillar I did not know you and your husband are estranged.  I would think he could be considerate of your health and limit any exposure to you by his behavior. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Nobody should ever be mocked for wearing or not wearing a mask. There are certain situations that I will always wear one and others I won’t. If it‘a mandatory to get into a store, I’ll wear one because I’d rather not have the stores closed. 

• Like 3

Well, I have now joined the ranks of the I Got Covid Club...as of this morning! 😷BF wasn't feeling well past few days....sore throat, cough. We did the BINAXX NOW at home tests ...which we have used before. This time his test comes up positive, mine comes up negative. We are vaccinated and boostered and wear mask most of the time when out and about. Went to Urgent Care and had the PCR test done....mine came back positive! I don't feel too bad....had a sore throat for one day, some sneezing, a little coughing...it feels like having a cold....which I haven't had since I quit smoking 5 years ago!!

• Like 3

Get well soon Roz...hoping it stays mild.

Despite being tripple vaxed I still opt for a mask at 5he shops. I don't care if it's not mandatory, I feel better with it.

I'm guessing BINAXX tests are what we call RAT Tests down under. The kids all have to do 2 a week before school, Monday and Thursdee mornings. 

Most of our restrictions are gone now but numbers are higher than they have ever been. Worse still we are preparing for a really bad flu season.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/16/2022 at 6:48 PM, Rozuki said:

Well, I have now joined the ranks of the I Got Covid Club...as of this morning! 😷BF wasn't feeling well past few days....sore throat, cough. We did the BINAXX NOW at home tests ...which we have used before. This time his test comes up positive, mine comes up negative. We are vaccinated and boostered and wear mask most of the time when out and about. Went to Urgent Care and had the PCR test done....mine came back positive! I don't feel too bad....had a sore throat for one day, some sneezing, a little coughing...it feels like having a cold....which I haven't had since I quit smoking 5 years ago!!

Hope it's going well for you Roz ♥️

I've dodged it for the past couple of years but felt a bit of a runny nose and a scratchy throat yesterday so tested myself this morning and sure enough .......................... came up positive!

IMG_2165.thumb.jpg.f7b7dedb957e0695486de8e7162c5f0a.jpg

Guess I'll be staying home for the next while. At least the wife's away visiting some of her distant relatives for a week so that's not a worry right now. The puss is here taking good care of me though. Or, maybe that's really a 'feed me' pose 😉

IMG_2163.thumb.jpg.d04d8c74d91f598e7e9ac5f32178f833.jpg

Hope you're on the mend and feeling better now Roz! Both you and your significant other 🙏

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2