Got my keys back

JustinHoot99

When I quit last time, one thing that helped me through a craving was asking my self if that next cigarette was worth $4000 and the 7000 that would come with it over the next year.  That's because I have never been able to start another quit attempt within in year.  Well, I quit for 44 days, then started smoking again, and managed to start my quit again about a week later.  I had my wife hide my car keys for 3 days so I would not have access to go get cigarettes.  Well, it's day 4 and they are sitting on the table now. It's very easy to quit smoking when it is physically impossible to access cigarettes.  There isn't much psychological withdraw because your mind simple accepts that there is no option.  And I must say, although I started the quit again and got to 3 days, I'm still in a daze about it all.  It's like I'm just going through the motions of quitting this time.  Before I felt positive, this time, somewhere in my mind, is something saying "sure you quit, but you know it won't last".  Well, I'm rambling and have to start working, so I'll talk to you later.

• Like 3

@JustinHoot99, sorry you're struggling today. I had many of those days that first year and use that to remind myself why I keep my quit. I also stuck close to home that whole first month and only ventured out with my never smoker husband because I didn't trust myself not to buy a pack.

Good on you for posting for help. Hopefully you're feeling a little better now.  A couple quotes I used my first year quit were: "This too shall pass". And " All good(?) things must come to an end". 

• Like 2

Hi Justin ....

You did good coming here ..fight the Monster .....your stronger than him ....

Do anything till it passes ....you can beat this ....

I used to shout out the slogans....had my trusty i pod blazing in my ears...singing and dancing all over the place ...have hot showers ...play games .. jigsaws...crosswords ....

It does get better i promise.🐸

• Like 2

You may have your keys but remember your drive is your courage to start over! Do not listen to that bad self talk, you can do it and you will do it.  Poor Ace, never smelt a Unicorn fart.  I smell them all the time (the dogs) sometimes that makes me want to light something.  I have a huge vanilla candle instead of a stinky cig.  The candle scent is also calming, try it.  

K

• Like 3

Justin,  I am the quitting queen.  I think I have quit at least 6 times in the last 2 years (heck, maybe more! ) I just won’t give up quitting.  Eventually it has got to stick!  I am on my new day 3 or 4 of not smoking.  Hang in there!!  The only thing I know to do is stay close to this group and hopefully I will be in a position to reach out here when the evil cig comes a knocking.  It’s crazy knowing that it all started with that one cigarette 50 years ago.  Today I will make the commitment to just say no to the smoke.  Justin, we have to remember we can not handle just one without going to another ….ever.  Please hang in there.  

• Like 4

well Justin it took me over 3 years to get to the one year of not smoking,

The advice I have for you is this:

Hard candies sugar free OK with sugar same, keep them in your packets at all times, Carmel and butterscotch worked real good for me ooo and the recola lozenges.

and any activity that will get your endorphins running, sing dancing , anything that requires you to be close to your wife.

include her in your quit,  Talk about the cravings with her by the time your done the cravings are usually over. 

I remember one time we were driving down the freeway and I caught a whiff of a smoke, I started speeding up and working my way thru the traffic to get closer to the smell.  My wife said what are you doing you just passed our exit ?  I told her and we laughed so freaking hard, she was amazed that I could smell a cigarette doing 70 MPH with all the vehicles on the highway

Edited by Opah
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...