Any silent readers out there been thinking about quitting but just unsure about committing?

JustinHoot99

Have you been following along, reading posts, but too nervous to actually pull the trigger and start your quit?
Does just the thought of waking up and knowing you can't have a smoke give your belly butterflies and cause severe anxiety?

Afraid you can't handle the let down of having yet another failure on top of the umpteen past failures?

That pretty much sums up me a bit over a month ago. After 40 yrs of smoking, I'd been through a lot of "count down is made but no lift off" tries plus 6 attempts where I actually got past 3 days but failed in less than a month. 

But I'm glad as heck I decided to try one more time or I would not be at day 34 of my quit.  My best quit in the past was only 18days.  What was different this time?  If I knew, I'd write a book and be a millionaire.  I can tell you that having a support group has been extremely helpful.  If I had to give my best guess, that would be it.  I spent a lot of time on here when I quit 34 days ago (cold turkey).  I read new posts, old posts, introduced myself, commented on about everything even if just to say I don't have the experience to have a good opinion.  Just typing is very theraputic.  But having the support and feedback of the many people on here that were either starting their quits or have been quit for many years was priceless.

I guess what I'm saying is if you've been following but nervous about trying, just introduce yourself.  We can help you with planning your quit and support you if/when you do decide to quit, or just answer any questions you might have.

I found the hardest part of quitting was just getting up the nerve to pull the trigger on day 1 and actually start my quit.  What I found was that the fear was completely overblown.  So say yes to better health (and saving money and time) and being back in control of your life.  Quitting is doable, as many people on this site can attest to. Having a support group go through it with you just makes it easier.

• Like 11

Couldn’t have said it any better @JustinHoot99! Every bit of that is true too. A week short of 7 months quit and I would not have made it without QuitTrain. 🤗 So  please, if anyone has found yourself hesitating on starting your quit just say hi and we will be glad to help in any way that we can!

Edited by Gus
Added some info
  • Like 7

Thank you for your post Justin!  I have stopped and started so many times and here I am again.  At least I am not giving up my desire to stop.  This Thursday 10/14 we go on a small vacation for 4 days so that’ll be my new quit date.  I will stay as close as possible, commenting, seeking support or just reading.  My support group is strictly online because I am a closet smoker. Please don’t ask me to open up to any friends or family members because it’s not going to happen.

Ok folks, so here I am again.  Getting myself ready.  I sure would like to be able to figure out why I keep going back to cigarettes.  It’s got to be more than just addiction.  I mean gheez!
thank you for being here!
I am ready!  Thursday is the day.  Now I just need to convince the cigarettes that I am ready.  Ha! Just kidding.  The cigarettes are standing straight and tall in a pack of 20 and waiting for me to cave.  Ugh, hoping I can do this.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tara smith said:

My support group is strictly online because I am a closet smoker. Please don’t ask me to open up to any friends or family members because it’s not going to happen.

Bet you felt kind of alone as a closet smoker.  You aren't.  Other than accidentally when driving past me when I was driving and smoking, nobody has ever seen me smoke.  Not even my wife.  It is this disgusting addiction that repulses me so much I would never do it in front of anyone.  So I know EXACTLY why you aren't going to open up to your friends.  This site served as my place to open up and get support and it can help you as well.  Keep in touch.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Tara smith said:

I sure would like to be able to figure out why I keep going back to cigarettes.  It’s got to be more than just addiction.  I mean gheez!

You keep going back because you're addicted to nicotine Tara. We all are. That's why we're here. What worked for me was getting rid of the cigarettes number one. I also had to clean and put away or throw away the ashtrays. I also stayed close to the forum which we recommend you do for your whole first year. This way when a bad cravecomes we can help talk you through it. 

Remember you're the boss not cigarettes. You don't have to quit, you're choosing to. This made a huge difference in how I thought about smoking. 

• Like 6

It's a Addiction ....The Tabacco Companies go to great lengths to make sure we stay addicted ...

They keep adding new poisons all the time ....

The good news Tara is ....your no more addicted to what any one here was ...

You fight this monster with Knowledge.....learn all you can about why you keep smoking ...

Make the decision never to smoke again ,and stick to it ....

You can do it ..

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Tara smith said:

Ugh, hoping I can do this.  

You can.  It's a simple process.

Remember the two rules of quitting: (1) DON'T SMOKE! and (2) If you have any further questions, refer back to Rule #1.

You don't actually have to do anything.  You just refrain from smoking.

• Like 6

On 10/12/2021 at 6:35 AM, Tara smith said:

Thank you for your post Justin!  I have stopped and started so many times and here I am again.  At least I am not giving up my desire to stop.  This Thursday 10/14 we go on a small vacation for 4 days so that’ll be my new quit date.  I will stay as close as possible, commenting, seeking support or just reading.  My support group is strictly online because I am a closet smoker. Please don’t ask me to open up to any friends or family members because it’s not going to happen.

Ok folks, so here I am again.  Getting myself ready.  I sure would like to be able to figure out why I keep going back to cigarettes.  It’s got to be more than just addiction.  I mean gheez!
thank you for being here!
I am ready!  Thursday is the day.  Now I just need to convince the cigarettes that I am ready.  Ha! Just kidding.  The cigarettes are standing straight and tall in a pack of 20 and waiting for me to cave.  Ugh, hoping I can do this.  

be strong.  you can do this.  one step at a time.

• Like 2

Thank you!  I am going in my 3rd day of camping with family and no cigarettes.  Three more days of camping and hopefully I will have a strong hold at the beginning stages of being a non-smoker.  This road is all too familiar and glad to be on my way.  Hopefully stay close to you all.

ENJ🙂Y Today and stay nicotine free!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tara smith said:

Thank you!  I am going in my 3rd day of camping with family and no cigarettes.  Three more days of camping and hopefully I will have a strong hold at the beginning stages of being a non-smoker.  This road is all too familiar and glad to be on my way.  Hopefully stay close to you all.

ENJ🙂Y Today and stay nicotine free!

A lot of people believe in you.  

image.png.f00f9c3930e82ef77a901b4a49109042.png

image.png.2f876aa37975a78e89324e0cc2022ce6.png

image.png.01bb499b69c5cc2db8b92d0c3e015cb1.png

image.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/11/2021 at 8:06 PM, JustinHoot99 said:

Have you been following along, reading posts, but too nervous to actually pull the trigger and start your quit?
Does just the thought of waking up and knowing you can't have a smoke give your belly butterflies and cause severe anxiety?

Afraid you can't handle the let down of having yet another failure on top of the umpteen past failures?

... yes.. 😒

• Like 4

Welcome @Edy, lots of us felt the same way until we stumbled on this forum full of like minded people who knew what we were going through because  they were either going through it too or had already been. That's what this place can do for you 🙂

• Like 4

Welcome @Edy

Glad to see you ...thinking about it ,is worse than just doing it ...our minds can be our worst enemies...

you can do it ...

we have all been where you are ....

Read all the pinned green threads on the Main Smoking Discussion Board ,this is a great place to start 

• Like 4

Hello @Edy! I hope that you decide to just go ahead and start your quit! Taking that first step IS the hardest. Quitting is not easy or pretty. It can be an ugly mess at times. But I promise it’s worth it. I promise we are all here to help you through it. Reading everything available on this site is the most helpful and those videos are helpful too. I hope to see you around! 🤗

• Like 3

ok.. today is my third day quit .. with a little bit of help from nicotine replacement tablets .. 

first day wasn't too bad .. but yesterday i was feeling nostalgic, sad, like a depression creeping in... as if i had lost some a dear friend .. (terrible feeling) and so deceitful! .. 

Actually, today is my brother's birthday - but he died - lost to another addiction .. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I’m so sorry about your brother, @Edy. Addiction hurts so many people. Depression and anxiety will most certainly be a part of your quit. Hopefully yours will be mild and of short duration. Mine was not. It was horrible and messy. But I survived. With the help of this board and all the good people here that helped me through. Stay close to us and keep posting. It helps so much! Also, there is an SOS forum that you can reach out on if you are close to lighting up again and want someone to help through the crave. I hope that today is better for you. 🤗

Edited by Gus
Tag
  • Like 4

@Edy Don't give in to the nicotine monster!! It is not your friend!!

You know that !!! Sorry about your brother. Honor him and beat your

addiction, you can do this with the help here!!! 3 days is an awesome 

start. Stay close here and post and read!!

• Like 5

@EdyWelcome! I too lost a brother to addiction. Its really quite common; I think we are all addicted to something. I agree with @Lindato dedicate our actions to those we love who, for whatever reason, couldn't do it. This is not an easy road being an addict. But there is a way out and everyone here is committed to supporting you get to the other side. Best wishes!

• Like 4

Also, it is a grieving process. Most (if not all) of us used cigarettes as a substitute for connection. For me, it started when I was in a devastating relationship with alcohol (and a man-it all fits together). I got rid of the booze, the man and I healed but the smokes remained. They became my companion as life just didn't seem to turn out the way I had hoped. Finally, through a lot of hard work and the help of these loving souls on the QT, I was able to put down the cigarettes.

Today I am headed out to see a former smoking companion. She is still smoking but knows I am not. I know there is a trigger there but am trusting it will unfold for both of us in a healthy way-she wants to quit so maybe instead of me feeling sad that we don't "share" that anymore, I can be excited that there is a new chapter for us. 

Anyway its super normal to feel sad but smoking will not change that. Rather you will feel sad and angry that you are in a toxic relationship if you pick up again.

Sorry for the ramble but I hope something in here helps to give you strength.

• Like 5

@Edy, congratulations on three days quit :) I'm really sorry about your brother and @KEL, I'm sorry you lost your brother to addiction too. The best way to honor them is to kick your addiction to the curb and take control of your life once again. You both are doing great :) 

As far as missing a "friend" Edy, it's a totally normal feeling when we quit. They were with us through everything, literally. Unfortunately they weren't there to sooth us even though we thought they were. They were there to satisfy our drug addiction to nicotine and the other 1000's of chemicals that are in cigarettes! No thanks! And believe me as you get farther into your quit you will see it too.....

Edited by jillar
  • Like 4