JH Rule #1: What is the absolute best exercise (I can tell you)

Having some tough cravings this morning, so I thought I'd get on here to distract myself and talk about my favorite topic: Exercise.Many people wonder what to start with, should they join a gym, what's appropriate for their age, etc.
You are blessed to have my wisdom here, as I would argue that I know what the single best exercise for everyone is regardless of age, condition, or ability.
It's my rule #1 when it comes to exercise.

Exercise Rule #1:  The #1 best exercise for everyone is "the one they either like enough, or dislike so little, that they keep doing it". 

Any exercise that you are unwilling to keep doing will provide no benefit no matter how well planned or applicable it is for your needs.

For years I would lift wts in a gym 3-4 months a year, get burnt out, then do nothing for about 9 months.  I once liked working out in a gym, but it no longer appealed to me.  So I kept quitting and restarting.  What finally got me exercising consistently was to find something I enjoyed (and I now haven't missed a day of exercise in 3.5yrs).  For me, that meant doing my workouts in the woods on a trail where I jog, do body wt exercises, lift and flip logs, throw large rocks, etc (and imagine I'm some kind of 60yr old Spartan).  The point is, if you find something you like, you are much more likely to do it consistently. And consistency is the most important requirement of any exercise plan. If you are doing something you dread doing, you need to look for something else or you will eventually quit.

Edited by JustinHoot99
  • Like 3