This is the SOS I should have sent out earlier.

JustinHoot99

So I finally pulled the trigger on replacing a storm door that's needed replaced for about 6 months.  It's one of those tedious, sometimes aggravating projects, w/ lots of steps that I really didn't want to do but it had to be done.  From tearing off the old one to installing, then cleaning up the mess took about 6hrs.  I was having huge cravings multiple times.  This is the kind of project a cigarette would have given me a reason to take a break from the job.  In the past, multiple times I would have come up w/ a reason to leave in my car (need a fresh fountain drink, probably need a tube of caulk, etc) so I could go have a cigarette and give myself a break.  Instead, I just worked on it for 6hrs straight, forgetting to even eat lunch, just because I wanted it over with.  So many times I thought how much I wanted to leave and go smoke.  So many times I thought how when the project was done, I could tell my wife I was going to go hike, but buy a pack on the way.  Nobody would know.  And darn straight I would have enjoyed every last puff.

But I made it through.  I wanted to smoke about 6.  But I did not want the 7000 that would come with the 6.  And I didn't want to spend $4000 for those 6.  I know full well I would lose all my mojo if I have even 1 and it always takes me well over a year before I can bring myself to start a serious quit.

Should have taken a break and gotten on here cause it was getting real.  But, it's good to get some experience learning how to deal w/ an aggravating situation w/o nicotene.  

OK, that's my whine.

• Like 15

Yikes, that WAS a close call Justin! Glad you remembered the promise you made to yourself about having to smoke those 7000 cigarettes! Yes, PLEASE let us help you through it if it happens again. You don't have to suffer alone and sometimes just getting it out gets it off your mind and the crave lessens.

And please, remember you still need to take those breaks, just do them in an area you never smoked in. You can also try sucking on candies. I was hooked on soft peppermint puffs my whole first year quit. Bought them by the tub lol. So find your go to candy or gum, it should help a lot too. :) 

• Like 8

Glad you made it through the project without giving in.

If you understand triggers, there are the daily ones which, because they're daily - like after food, before bed, etc - are tackled and overcome early in the quit within the first few days.

Then there are the occasional triggers - like this project, vacation, visit by an old friend, etc - that are infrequent but will happen within the first year.

Finally, there are the life triggers - loss of a loved one, losing a job, etc - things that happen occasionally in our lives.

Each trigger type needs to be overcome with the same strength and determination as the daily triggers.  We cannot feel too confident after overcoming the daily triggers because the other types hit just as hard.

Stay strong, friend.  You're dong great.  Glad to see your ticker.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, d2e8b8 said:

If you understand triggers, there are the daily ones which, because they're daily - like after food, before bed, etc - are tackled and overcome early in the quit within the first few days.

Then there are the occasional triggers - like this project, vacation, visit by an old friend, etc - that are infrequent but will happen within the first year.

Finally, there are the life triggers - loss of a loved one, losing a job, etc - things that happen occasionally in our lives.

Each trigger type needs to be overcome with the same strength and determination as the daily triggers.  We cannot feel too confident after overcoming the daily triggers because the other types hit just as hard.

I really like that.  Well put..

Thanks @Steven Drojensky and @jillar

• Like 3

@Doreensfree Thats pretty gross.  A quick estimation of number shown is around 1000 so I would only need a pile 7 times that large that I would need to smoke before I would have the strength to start another attempt to quit.  I kind of needed to see that picture this morning.  Thx

You know what else I have found particularly repulsive?  A women with a cigarette dangling from her mouth (men too, but for me, particularly women).  Something just so disgusting about that to me.  You can google female stars who smoke which I've done and you will see pictures of famous acrtresses lighting a cigarette.  Just something so gross about that to me and I will sometimes visualize that.

• Like 2

Film stars were given all thier cigarettes free ...for smoking them and advertising them in films ..

That's why alot of then died far to early with smoke related illnesses....

Don't give them a penny more of your hard earned money ....

If you haven't watched the 3 Documentaries here ....please take the time to see them ...

It was my light bulb moment ....

• Like 3