Getting ready to quit smoking...joining a community for help

PatriciaLM

Hi!  I've been a smoker for 43 years, although I quit for 3 years when I got pregnant and the first two years of my son, but slowly one puff at a time I fell back into the old habit.  Since then, I have tried to quit many times with different strategies like the patch and the gum, but have failed.   I figured the hardest part for me, is when all is done at the end of the day, and I'm enjoying peace and quiet, the cigarrette is like a companion...sounds silly right?  But that's what it is for me.  So I just came back from a new Doctor's appointment to help me quit and we figured out that a support group during those hours that I miss "my companion" could be a good strategy.  So, here I am, and will keep you posted for my quit day.  Looking forward to meeting you all.

Patricia

• Like 8

Welcome aboard @PatriciaLM and congratulations on deciding to take your freedom back😊 You will get as much support as you need here from members all over the world and in all phases of quitting. From newbies to old phartes with a year or more quit. So we get how hard that first week/month/year can be.

Be sure to check out all our various forums, from educating yourself through our threads and videos to Social forums for when you want to get smoking off your mind but stay close to your support 😊

Lastly,  I'll just throw this out there, you're here now so why not start your quit today? 😊

Edited by jillar
  • Like 5

Welcome aboard, Patricia.

You have made a wise decision in quitting smoking.  I smoked for about 20 years and didn't think I could quit but joining an online support group similar to this one gave me the knowledge and support to quit for good.  I think you will find the same support here.

It is great to have you here.

• Like 5

Welcome Patricia! I am one of this newbies @jillar mentioned. 6 month quit on the 17th of September. I smoked for 40 years! And I loved smoking! I lived my whole life around my smoking. I also suffer from anxiety. I will not say ‘if I can do it you can do it!’  But I promise to help you in anyway that I can! Just stay close to us and reach out when needed! 🤗

Edited by Gus
Sentence structure
  • Like 6

Hello  and welcome! You may have never thought you would be on this journey. I did not think so either but doctors and medical (health) issues come in to play. Then we are faced with tough situations.  That was the case for me.  I am still new to this but these people have helped me so much. They do not  judge or make you feel bad about anything you post.  I COULD NOT DO THIS WITHOUT THEM!

K  

• Like 6

Welcome aboard the Train Patricia.  Good call on giving up the smokes.

19 hours ago, PatriciaLM said:

I figured the hardest part for me, is when all is done at the end of the day, and I'm enjoying peace and quiet, the cigarrette is like a companion...sounds silly right?  

Nope, not silly at all.  We conditioned ourselves with cigarettes for years.  I figure we all came to view the cigarette as our companion to some extent.  A bad companion, but a companion nonetheless.

Quitting is a process.  A big part of the process is figuring out how to navigate without cigarettes.  It takes time and patience, but you'll get there.

• Like 5

Today is the day I'd like to have smoked my last cigarette. I've been a casual smoker for years. Not too many for it to feel like an issue, but recently I've been smoking more often. I'm going through a big life change and perhaps that's a coincidence but I bought cigarettes for the first time in at least a year a few weeks ago. I'm going to throw them away after this post but I may need some help not to casually slip into old habits...

• Like 5

Welcome @TallD and congratulations on deciding to quit once and for all. I think we all found that casual smoking never seems to stay casual. Soon you're smoking more and more so we adhere to NotOnePuffEver.

We can offer you all the support you could want as well as a ton of threads and videos about our addiction. So stick close, throw those smokes away once and for all and lets get you your forever quit 😊

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, jillar said:

Welcome @TallD and congratulations on deciding to quit once and for all. I think we all found that casual smoking never seems to stay casual. Soon you're smoking more and more so we adhere to NotOnePuffEver.

We can offer you all the support you could want as well as a ton of threads and videos about our addiction. So stick close, throw those smokes away once and for all and lets get you your forever quit 😊

Thanks. I've thrown them in the bin. Means a lot to have such speedy supportive words of encouragement!

• Like 6

On 9/30/2021 at 5:46 PM, PatriciaLM said:

we figured out that a support group during those hours that I miss "my companion" could be a good strategy.  So, here I am, and will keep you posted for my quit day.  Looking forward to meeting you all.

Welcome PatriciaLM.  This is a wonderful place for support in quitting.  I smoked for 42 years and tried every possible method to quit but was not successful until I landed here.  Stay close to the forum, educate yourself, play some games and make some new friendships.  We are here to help you on your journey.  You can do this!

• Like 6

Welcome to the board Patricia and TallD....

Congratulations on reclaiming your lives .....

We have tons of great information here on the Main Discussion Smoking Board....

Start with the ones pinned with green ....

Stay close to the board ....ask any questions you may have ....don't worry ,we have heard most of your concerns....were here to help you through this amazing journey ....

Patricia....why put more poisons in your body ..just to rid of them later .

Just jump on ..the time is now ...🐸

• Like 2