I am back...and in need of some help.

JustSomeGuy

Hi everyone.  I don't really know how to start this...so here goes...

My name is Ron.  Some of you may remember me from a long time ago.  The QT and QSMB community really helped me quit way back in Dec 2013.  Feels like a lifetime ago.  I "met" a lot of good people who helped me stay smoke free for over 5 years.  I'm hoping you all can help me once again...but this time, quit for good.

You see, I never got to my 6 year quit anniversary.  Just a few months before that time, at the end of the night of my bachelor party, I made a drunken decision to smoke.  Being drunk isn't an excuse.  I wanted to smoke.  I messed up, plain and simple.  That was 3 years ago in 2018.   I've been smoking on and off ever since.  So let me be the poster boy of what can happen when you take your quit for granted.

I look around here now and I see familiar names and faces who started their quit around the same time as I did...and while I'm happy to see them, I am also filled with embarrassment and envy because I threw mine away.   But that quit is loooonnng gone.  I am here today, back as a newbie once again.  But this time, I want to quit for good for my 1 year old son.  He means everything to me and  I want to be around for him as long as I possibly can.  Thanks for reading.

Today is my 3rd day going smoke free.  

• Like 12

36 minutes ago, jillar said:

Welcome back @JustSomeGuy, I remember you from QSMB when I quit in 2016. Sorry to read that you gave up your quit but it's good to see that you're here now and ready for your forever quit. And it looks like you have great incentive this time :) 

Jill!  Good to see you.  5 years is amazing! :)

28 minutes ago, Linda said:

@JustSomeGuy We!come back,you  came to the right place,but sounds like you already

know that.. Lots of support and good people to help you on your journey!!

Thanks Linda.  I know I'll need it.  Today is a rough day being at work.

20 minutes ago, JustinHoot99 said:

Definitely good that you are ready to quit again and came back for support.  It ain't "almost 6 yrs", but 3 days is the start of a new "6 yrs" and then some.  It often takes years to get to 3 days.

Thanks Justin!  I like the way you put that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome back!  I frequented QSMB when I quit in 2016.   I’m not so active here anymore but soooo glad I saw your post!!

You know the drill-  stick close to the board!  

Good job getting back to The Quit! 

Here are some familiar words:

Don’t  stick anything in your mouth & light it on fire!! 

N O P E!!!  Not one puff EVER! 

-L4L

• Like 6

3 hours ago, JustSomeGuy said:

But this time, I want to quit for good for my 1 year old son.  He means everything to me and  I want to be around for him as long as I possibly can.  Thanks for reading.

That is all the motivation you need.

I have a one year-old daughter.  When I think of the things I would do for that kid, quitting smoking seems like an easy task.

You've got your "why" so the "how" will practically work itself out.

• Like 8

Thanks everyone for the very warm welcome.  I really appreciate it.  And I'm glad to see the strong support from the community hasn't changed.  

Today was harder than the weekend.  At work I usually had my set times when I would go out for one.  But I pulled through to fight another day.  I really wanna keep this going.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, JustSomeGuy said:

Thanks everyone for the very warm welcome.  I really appreciate it.  And I'm glad to see the strong support from the community hasn't changed.  

Today was harder than the weekend.  At work I usually had my set times when I would go out for one.  But I pulled through to fight another day.  I really wanna keep this going.

@JustSomeGuy Good job making it through!! Get some gum or candy or something. Maybe take a quick walk. But what ever just don't smoke

Everyday will get easier and you will get stronger. You got this!!!

• Like 3

In the 90's I did the same thing on my 1 year anniversary. I felt crushed, hated myself and vowed to smoke until I die! 4 years later i came to my senses🤣. We all come back...but like you it took me 4 years and you 3 years..😏 It is great to have a reason to quit like your new son but only you have the responsibility.

What changed it for me was this fact and  it was the game changer.

I will only be successful when I die. It has to be clean from day one to the my final day on this earth. My dad, uncles, aunties and others did it- 

and so we come to NOPE, NTAP. Read them slowly and let the words embed in your unconscious.

NOPE means NOT one puff EVER....

It does not mean Not one puff EXCEPT..

NEVER take another puff..

I am 4 days shy of 20 years but frankly it is the staying quit that really matters.

On the day i quit my mates had been quit for 15 years. 15 years seemed like Mount Everest in time. Well I started on 2nd October 2001. Today my mates are all alive and well. 35 years quit and on the cusp of 60.

You know you can do it...

• Like 5

Those are all great advice.  I'll grab the gum from my car to chew on when I need something.  Yesterday I drank a lot of water just to get past the cravings.  And I'll definitely check out the games...I remember those helping a lot last time.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, breath said:

In the 90's I did the same thing on my 1 year anniversary. I felt crushed, hated myself and vowed to smoke until I die! 4 years later i came to my senses🤣. We all come back...but like you it took me 4 years and you 3 years..😏 It is great to have a reason to quit like your new son but only you have the responsibility.

What changed it for me was this fact and  it was the game changer.

I will only be successful when I die. It has to be clean from day one to the my final day on this earth. My dad, uncles, aunties and others did it- 

and so we come to NOPE, NTAP. Read them slowly and let the words embed in your unconscious.

NOPE means NOT one puff EVER....

It does not mean Not one puff EXCEPT..

NEVER take another puff..

I am 4 days shy of 20 years but frankly it is the staying quit that really matters.

On the day i quit my mates had been quit for 15 years. 15 years seemed like Mount Everest in time. Well I started on 2nd October 2001. Today my mates are all alive and well. 35 years quit and on the cusp of 60.

You know you can do it...

That's exactly how I felt and still feel.  Getting to 5 years again feels like Everest!  Heck, even getting to 1 month feels daunting. 

I've lurked on here a few times the last couple of years when I've tried to quit.  Sometimes it lasted weeks.  Sometimes a few days.  But it never stuck.  I don't think being a guest and reading posts helped me out.  Maybe I wasn't ready to quit yet, but I am now.  That's why I reintroduced myself and came clean.  I wanted to have that added accountability and help.

Wow 20 years is so amazing!  I remember you from the QSMB days.

• Like 5

Welcome back @JustSomeGuy.  That sweet little boy is a wonderful reason to quit.  You want your life with him to be full of happy wonderful memories and not illness and health issues.  You quit once before and can do it again.  Hang close and we will definitely help you stay on track.  

• Like 5

7 hours ago, JustSomeGuy said:

And I'll definitely check out the games...I remember those helping a lot last time.

Early in my quit I played Chicks or Sticks a lot.  It was like I traded one addiction for another.

While I don't play the games much anymore, I still feel an allegiance to Team Stick.

You can distract yourself from craves and fight the good fight in the numbers game.

• Like 3

Well welcome aboard glad to see that you have decided to quit even though it is again.  You should remember what you will have to conquer but we will be here to help.  No need to feel embarrassed -- feel strong and realize you have quit for the last few days and came back here -- sometimes that takes a lot of courage.  As you have seen much to do here but the support is strong.  And congrats for becoming a father-- that will be motivation!!!!

• Like 2

The weekend was tough.  On Saturday I was supposed to go on a group ride with my motorcycle buddies.  But I decided not to go because I usually smoked on every pit stop and I didn't trust myself completely yet.  Then on Sunday, I passed on dirt biking in the forest for the same reason.  I know I made the right choice to protect my quit, but riding is usually what keeps me sane and relaxed.  Without it, I found myself on edge and short-tempered.  My quit is good...but I feel frustrated and not myself.  I don't know if that's related to quitting.  Hope this feeling goes away soon.    

• Like 3

I agree trips can be very scary.  The place I white water kayak is 2 hrs away.  I've been going most Saturdays.  Smoking relieved the boredom of the long drive.  And physical activity is actually a big trigger for smoking.  I read physical activity causes nicotene levels to drop faster.  That is why when you are active, like riding, you always wanted a smoke during pitstops, and why I would get out of the water when kayaking and go have a smoke.  Now the nicotene is out of your body so there's nothing for it to "drop" to, but you still associate the pit stop w/ the "need".  I think it's great you put off the trips for the bigger prize.  But at some point, when you feel safe, you will have to face up to it.  When you go, make sure you buddies know you don't smoke now, and request that under no circumstances are they to give you a cigarette.  

• Like 3