Not about smoking, but you are my support group

Kate18

Going for ketamine infusions in two days, on Monday. I wish I smoked. I crave oblivion. Would smoking help? No. NOPE

I don't want to live, but smoking wouldn't change that. 

If you are on the fence, quit smoking. Don't smoke. Find your reason to quit. I found mine a year and a half ago. Covid.  Whatever frame of mind you are in, trust me, it won't get better with smoking. If you are depressed and smoking to mask it, seek professional help. It is essential. Don't smoke. Just don't smoke.

• Sad 1

I hope that things are better for you Monday! 🤗.                      My smoking was

masking some severe anxiety issues I didn’t even realize that I have. I’ve smoked since I was 15. I knew that I had issues, I just had no clue how bad they are until I quit smoking. Over time it’s lessened exponentially, but I still have triggers that will have me  a heap of tearful uselessness in a heartbeat. I’m dreading the holiday season this year as I suffer from SAD, but I do have hope that there will be enough time between my quit and then that I will muddle through as always. 
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please stay close to us. We are here for you. 

• Like 3

Thinking of you, Kate, and hoping that you start to get some relief from the treatments tomorrow.  Hang on and keep giving yourself every chance to turn things around and experience the peace of mind that you deserve.  Amazing job on not giving in to cravings and realizing that smoking is the last thing you need and would not help in any way.  

• Like 2

Wow, it's the morning after my first ketamine infusion. Interesting experience. Profoundly relaxing. I was cautioned that it could take three or four infusions before I felt better. About three hours after the infusion, I realized that I was feeling more alert, felt like going on a walk. Walked a mile, came home, cooked, and did some chores that I'd procrastinated because I felt apathetic.

It isn't a 180 degrees turn around, but it's definitely more than 90.  This morning, 6:40 am, the pleasant effect still lingers. 

So, returning to helping people quit smoking...

Smoking and ketamine; I wondered if there could be a benefit for people trying to quit smoking. I didn't find a lot, but see the third paragraph about SGB. Let me know if you've had it or know anyone who has. 

I read on WebMD on ketamine and addiction in general:

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/ketamine-for-addiction-what-to-know

More research on how ketamine affects addiction is needed, but it may change how your brain deals with cravings, motivation to quit a drug, and controlling behavioral reactions. Ketamine treatment might also make behavioral therapy more effective, which is a big part of overcoming addiction.

For ketamine to be helpful in addiction treatment, it must be used under the close care of medical professionals. Recreational use could lead to addiction and other dangerous effects.

From PubMed,  https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29339170/

Smoking cessation strategies are of prime medical importance. Despite availability of various pharmacological agents in combating addiction to nicotine, more effective medications are needed. Based on recent findings, the glutamatergic system in the brain may provide novel targets. Here, we evaluated the effects of acute administration of sub-anesthetic doses of ketamine, an NMDA receptor antagonist, in both male and female Sprague-Dawley rats trained to self-administer nicotine. Animals were injected subcutaneously with 5, 7.5 and 10 mg/kg ketamine or saline and the effects on the number of intravenous nicotine infusions during a 45 min session was measured. Ketamine treatment significantly reduced nicotine self-administration in a dose-dependent manner. 

And then there is this:  https://ketaminehealthcenters.com/blog/stop-smoking/

It's a ketamine clinic, but this treatment is with SGB, a local anesthetic. Sounds like a miracle treatment. 

This minimally invasive procedure has low risks and no major side effects and takes less than an hour and a half! Results and relief have been seen within 30 minutes and can last from a few months to years. SGB can be used to treat many conditions such as Anxiety, Depression, Lymphedema, Nicotine Dependence, Migraines, Facial Pain, Upper Extremity Pain, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, Post-Herpetic Neuralgia, Hot Flashes, and Hyperhidrosis. 

The overall benefits of SBG include improved quality of life, better sleeping habits, decreased alcohol and substance use, improved cognitive function, improved physical functioning or exercise capacity, and healthier relationships.

• Like 3

Never give up Kate!  The medical and mental health fields are always coming up with new treatments.  I am very thankful this has worked for you. You are so brave to share your struggles, which will help others dealing with depression! 

• Like 2

On 9/28/2021 at 7:10 AM, Jordan7 said:

That's great to hear, Kate!  Sounds like an amazing improvement from just one session and hopefully you'll have many more good days ahead.  How far apart are the treatments?  

Six treatments--two each week for six weeks, then another three weeks later, and yet another five weeks after that one. They it's "as needed." Some people come back every few months, some people go much longer. I had the second two days ago. No dramatic boost in mood this time, but the good mood established on Monday persists. Truly, if this helps with nicotine addiction, it could be a game changer. The only problem is the expense. Insurance doesn't cover it for addiction treatment. On the other hand, smoking is very expensive. 

• Like 1