Strategic Quit Planning - Choosing the time of day for your quit

JustinHoot99

I chose my quit time to be 6:30pm (16 days ago).  This wasn't a randomly chosen time.  By choosing 6:30pm, it was late enough in the day that since I immediately showered after that last smoke, there would not be so many waking hours left in the day that I would feel like going out to buy more cigarettes, because then I would have to shower again.  The advantage to this was that when I woke up the next morning, I could tell myself I already had a half day under my belt.  I was already thinking in terms of being an ex-smoker, not in terms of whether I had the strength to start my quit.  AND, all I had to do was not smoke for 12 hours (until 6:30pm) and I would be able to say I had 1 day of the chemical withdraw over with.  Much better than waking up and thinking I have 3 full days to go and wondering if I even had the strength to get started.  Psychologically, knowing I was only 12hrs from having 1 day over with really meant a lot to me.  And after going that 12hrs, at 6:30pm, I immediately put a red X on my calendar so I could go to bed knowing I was already into my second day.

The point?  Plan your quit, do it strategically. 

• Like 7

Great post @JustinHoot99, the time starts as soon as you put out that last cigarette. I quit at 10:15 pm. Right before bedtime and truth be told, I actually quit around 5:00pm but proceeded to smoke all the butts in the ashtrays before cleaning them once and for all! So I agree the time you pick is a good idea.

I wanted to let you know also about our tickers that you can add to your signature. Its a great way to watch all the time, money and cigarettes NOT smoked add up 😊 There's a tab at the top of the page if you'd like to make one for your signature 😊

• Like 4