Justins Intro - Quit date Sept 7, 2021

JustinHoot99

@MLMR I like your attitude in that you put the ticker back to day 1.  I see some want to call something like that a "slip" or something and think they can carry on with the count.  The moment you smoke another, the quit is over.  If you start again, you start at 0.  Otherwise, I think the subconscious will use that as just one more excuse to have just one because "you can just call it a slip, it won't hurt your quit so you can just pretend it didn't happen".  

• Like 5

Today marks 3 weeks of not smoking, the longest time period since age 20.  I don't say being free, just being in control.  It's all semantics, but from an addiction point of view, I'll never be free.  Just in control.  Still a great feeling.

But I'm kind of nervous about the period ahead, especially months 2-4.  Getting past 3 weeks was hard, but not as crazy as in the past.  But I had a lot of shiny new toys to distract me during weeks 1-3:
This web site w/ lots of information and people to talk to,
My Mt Dew Code Red I started drinking when I quit,
My calendar w/ all the red X's on the wall,
My visualizations.

I will still have these (except the code red which I've quit drinking), but they aren't as shiny and new anymore.  Of course, I will still be on EX asking for support and giving what little I can.  But from what I read, and have been experiencing now, the next couple months will require a lot of diligence in ignoring that voice in my head that would love to smoke.  Each time I remind myself that one puff will cost me $4000 over the next year and require me to smoke 7000 more cigarettes before I could muster the courage to stop again.  Smoking just 1 won't satisfy the craving, nor 2, nor 1 pack.  Only continuously feeding the craving forever will satisfy it if I take just one puff.

So I celebrate 3 wks of control (or freedom if you will), but continue knowing the struggle continues.  My logic side knows the cravings will eventually become less frequent, but the junkie voice in my head keeps saying "no, we'll always be here so you might as give up now".  I'll just stay diligent, stay on QT, and stay in control.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, JustinHoot99 said:

Today marks 3 weeks of not smoking, the longest time period since age 20.  I don't say being free, just being in control.  It's all semantics, but from an addiction point of view, I'll never be free.  Just in control.  Still a great feeling.

But I'm kind of nervous about the period ahead, especially months 2-4.  Getting past 3 weeks was hard, but not as crazy as in the past.  But I had a lot of shiny new toys to distract me during weeks 1-3:
This web site w/ lots of information and people to talk to,
My Mt Dew Code Red I started drinking when I quit,
My calendar w/ all the red X's on the wall,
My visualizations.

I will still have these (except the code red which I've quit drinking), but they aren't as shiny and new anymore.  Of course, I will still be on EX asking for support and giving what little I can.  But from what I read, and have been experiencing now, the next couple months will require a lot of diligence in ignoring that voice in my head that would love to smoke.  Each time I remind myself that one puff will cost me $4000 over the next year and require me to smoke 7000 more cigarettes before I could muster the courage to stop again.  Smoking just 1 won't satisfy the craving, nor 2, nor 1 pack.  Only continuously feeding the craving forever will satisfy it if I take just one puff.

So I celebrate 3 wks of control (or freedom if you will), but continue knowing the struggle continues.  My logic side knows the cravings will eventually become less frequent, but the junkie voice in my head keeps saying "no, we'll always be here so you might as give up now".  I'll just stay diligent, stay on QT, and stay in control.

You have a good start, and your right it will get easier. But you're right don't listen to that junkie thinking. You got this!!!

• Like 3

On 9/25/2021 at 7:14 AM, JustinHoot99 said:

've gone up from 176 to 180, which is quite a bit for me since my wt does not fluctuate a lot

Hey Justin.  Don't obsess about the wait gain while quitting.  You sound like you have a good attitude towards exercise and healthy eating.  Concentrate on the quitting and then everything else falls into place.  Your life will change immensely after quitting and you will feel better and move more.  

Keep that wonderful quit going!

• Like 5

Congratulations on 3 weeks smoke free, Justin.

I have to agree with Mee in the post above.  It sounds like you are relatively healthy from a healthy eating and exercising standpoint.  Continue the good work there but make sure your quit is your main focus.  Things will improve all over with time.

Keep up the great work!

• Like 2