Reeeeaaaaalllly want to smoke

Graciegirlva

Hi! I quit 8 days ago and I have been mostly ok. But I am having a strep day, forgot my chopped celery to snack on and I am on an office where I know there are a bunch of smokers. Usually I am the only one- but there are a bunch of people here who I could easily get one from. Ugh!!! I have tried deep breathing, having a mint (no nicotine replacement), I even looked at pictures of black lungs online. Still want one. This is the most I have been hit with this. Wow- it super sucks. 

You can get past this @Graciegirlva, have you tried the air cigarette. I used to pretend I was holding an invisible cigarette in my fingers and then go through the motions of "smoking" it. Taking deep drags and blowing out. It worked great at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing. Some use cut straws, pens, even licorice.

Good on you for posting. You've got 8 awesome days already, well done 😊🤗

Edited by jillar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi there Gracie, remember and say to yourself out loud: this will pass. 

Pictures of black lungs often did it for me, as strange as that may sound. Quite sobering…. Good for you that you choose health.

Did you take a look at Joel Spitzers videoclips? There’s plenty of material here:

Edited by MLMR
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Linda said:

@Graciegirlva  Hang in there!! You will be very unhappy if you smoke, I've been there!!!

Can you go for a walk? Drink some water and take some deep breaths!! Reach out

to us.

Thank you so much! Going for a walk would normally work, but in this office I would have to walk around all the smokers. But I walked around the inside of the office and got some water. 

4 minutes ago, MLMR said:

Hi there Gracie, remember and say to yourself out loud: this will pass. 

Black lungs often did it for me, as strange as that may sound. Quite sobering…. Good for you that you choose health.

Did you take a look at Joel Spitzers videoclips? There’s plenty of material here:

That is a lot of videos! Lol! Thank you!!

• Like 1

Make yourself some rescue bags, one each for the car, purse. desk I keep gum, hard candy and straws cut in half.  I don't work anymore but I would put one in desk for sure.  That way you will always have something available for distraction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey @Graciegirlva, you've got this.  You have already sweat the worst days of getting rid of the nicotine and now you need to learn how to redirect those craving thoughts.  Hang close to the forum, educate yourself and get to know us all.  We are here to help support you on your journey!