Smoke free campus

Christian99

I'm really gratified that my college has finally gone entirely smoke and nicotine free (including e-cigs).  For the last five years or so, we had a policy that smoking was permitted only in parking lots, but the smoking would creep towards the buildings--especially (but not only) in inclement weather.  The administration realized that the best approach was to adopt a more universal prohibition, and so far compliance seems to be pretty good.  I'm glad, too, that they've tried to support this new policy by expanding access to cessation tools (meds, group therapy, etc.) that are available to members of the campus community.  I remember advocating a policy like this about twelve years ago during a full, formal faculty meeting and being pretty much shouted down as being a representative of the "nanny state."  Well, perhaps I was getting a bit ahead of where we were as a college and a broader culture at the time, but I'm thrilled that it's finally come to pass. 

Maybe related or not, I had a student see me after class last week and share that her significant other was trying to quit; she asked if I had any advice for him.  She knows I'm a former smoker because I included that fact in my initial introduction to them on the first day of the semester.  It's important to me that my students to know me as a person, and few things are more central to my identity than that.  I also wear a pretty obvious (some might say garish) lanyard around my neck every day that proclaims "Proud to be Tobacco Free!"  I was really touched that she thought I might be able to help; however, I'm realizing right now that I forgot to mention this site.  Ugh.

What got me thinking of this is the 3 month celebration post by a quitter about how, as a teacher, he's really happy that he's no longer smoking.  I totally understand that, and for me, a lot of it has to do with the kind of example I wasn't and now AM setting for my students.  Of course, I don't want to overstate that influence:  as an educator of adults, I'm hardly the most significant figure in their lives, and often they're taking my class just to fulfill a requirement.  But, still, I'm pleased that I no longer have to try to hide my addiction or internalize feelings of shame for it.  And maybe a couple of people will, in fact, be helped as a result of my presence. 

Keep up the great work everyone--

Christian99

Nearing 20 Years Quit    

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Christian99 said:

And maybe a couple of people will, in fact, be helped as a result of my presence. 

I have no doubt that more than just a couple will be helped by you Christian. You have always been so open about your first year quit struggles and willing to share them through your blog and in bits as they pertain to other's posts.

It meant so much to me as a newbie to have members with long quits take the time to support me and respond to my threads. That you would still be here helping people find their freedom almost twenty years after you quit means a lot and I thank you for that 😊

In California our campuses are all smoke free for many years now. And the use of vaping as well now. In fact there's very few public places that allow smoking. Smoking has even been banned at parks in my county.

• Like 5

I also wear a pretty obvious (some might say garish) lanyard around my neck every day that proclaims "Proud to be Tobacco Free!"  

I know this feeling ....I have a huge sense of pride I finally kicked this horrible addiction ...

I don't think it will ever leave me ....

It's a wonderful feeling ...😁

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jillar said:

In California our campuses are all smoke free for many years now. And the use of vaping as well now. In fact there's very few public places that allow smoking. Smoking has even been banned at parks in my county.

California has been such a leader in passing legislation relevant to smoking--I think you're really lucky to be there!

C99

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

@Christian99Originally from Cali and moved to Colorado 7 years ago. Not as progressive certainly but they also don't have the population. I did teach (business law) at the Department of Corrections and there is no smoking on the "campus(es)." I found that pretty interesting, i.e. go to prison and quit smoking. One way to do it! 

I am super open about my sobriety but not about my quit. Not yet anyway. 

I remember someone just like you who was really open about recovery. I overheard him talk about his AA meeting in court one day. I never forgot what he said and it did light the spark that took two years later. Ironically, he was in my courtroom when I was a judge five years later and I was able to thank him for being so open. You (we) may not realize it, but our recovery does help others.

Thanks for your post.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2021 at 2:01 PM, Doreensfree said:

I also wear a pretty obvious (some might say garish) lanyard around my neck every day that proclaims "Proud to be Tobacco Free!"  

I know this feeling ....I have a huge sense of pride I finally kicked this horrible addiction ...

I don't think it will ever leave me ....

It's a wonderful feeling ...😁

Wow, Doreen, where did you get it? I'd be happy to wear a button on my work apron at my job.