still seated

darcy

Hello People,

bunnies, dogs, cats, too

Just saying aloud, I am struggling.   Keeping busy helps.  It is when I am tired and/or down mentally or emotionally that there is only a thin veneer of NOPE.

Grateful to be quit.

Having trouble shaking the belief I had prior to picking up again.  The one that said," This is your sticky quit. I don't have another come back in me."  

Anyway, thanks for hearing my struggle.   Hoping your day brings many opportunities for belly laughing and sharing with those you hold dear.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, darcy said:

Having trouble shaking the belief I had prior to picking up again.  The one that said," This is your sticky quit. I don't have another come back in me." 

Yes, that is tough.  But the fact that you are quitting again means you realize that you would be better off smoke free.  Fight through all of the negativity and mind-games the addiction plays on people. 

Fighting through the early days and keeping the quit this time means you will not have to go through this again.  And, over time, you should see that a smoke free life is worth these early struggles.

Congratulations on 2 weeks smoke free, Darcy.  Keep up the great work.

• Like 2

Keep grinding it out, Darcy, and know that difficulties beyond the first week or two are not at all an indication that there is anything wrong with your quit or approach.  I think that's really important for newer quitters to hear, as pronouncements about how "nicotine is out of the body in 3 days!" or claims that all one needs to do is adopt a positive attitude or exhortations to "STOP ROMANCING THE CIGARETTE!" can sometimes imply to a struggling quitter that something is deficient in her/his approach.  I definitely felt that in some earlier failed quits and even in the early stages of this, my forever one.  But I've come to understand that some people are just not wired in ways that make them super receptive to those messages, and it was important for me to let my experience be what it would it be instead of simply attempting to redefine it (or worse, to chastise myself for it not being what/how it was supposed to be).  So I embraced the ambivalent, messy, even angry quit; and, amazingly, that slowly and organically transformed into a durable, peaceful, and happy one. 

But it took me a long time to get to that point.  I recall a day in 2002, months into my quit, when--after many terrible days in a row--I stood outside my office building with an unlit cigarette in my mouth, matches at the ready, and tears streaming down my face.  But, thankfully, I persisted.  And in retrospect that moment really marked a turning point for me, one that I've subsequently generalized as follows:  Things finally began to get better for me when I realized I would stay quit even if things never got any better for me.  I sure hope (and chances are very good!) that it won't take as long for you as it did for me to turn that corner, and I'm sharing my experience with you to enable just that.  But know that as long as you remain smoke-free, you're making progress, regardless of how crappy you feel at day 2 or 20 or 120.  And the freedom you're gaining is, quite possibly, even more transformative than you think.  

Keep up the great work, friend--we all know you can do it!  You ARE doing it!

Christian99

Nearing 20 Years Quit

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Christian99 said:

Keep grinding it out, Darcy, and know that difficulties beyond the first week or two are not at all an indication that there is anything wrong with your quit or approach.  I think that's really important for newer quitters to hear, as pronouncements about how "nicotine is out of the body in 3 days!" or claims that all one needs to do is adopt a positive attitude or exhortations to "STOP ROMANCING THE CIGARETTE!" can sometimes imply to a struggling quitter that something is deficient in her/his approach.  I definitely felt that in some earlier failed quits and even in the early stages of this, my forever one.  But I've come to understand that some people are just not wired in ways that make them super receptive to those messages, and it was important for me to let my experience be what it would it be instead of simply attempting to redefine it (or worse, to chastise myself for it not being what/how it was supposed to be).  So I embraced the ambivalent, messy, even angry quit; and, amazingly, that slowly and organically transformed into a durable, peaceful, and happy one.    

This all gets back to the one question.  The only question that matters in determining the success of a quit: Did I smoke today?

If the answer to that question is "no", you're good to go.  If you answered "yes", you're not doing it right.

If you craved a cigarette all day but didn't smoke one, your quit is good.

If you romanticized cigarettes all day but didn't smoke, your quit is good.

If you were cranky or weepy or a little bit of both but refused to light up, your quit is good.

Quitting smoking is a one question test that is graded on a pass/fail basis.  The degree of difficulty one has in taking the test is not a factor.

Not smoking is the only thing that matters in a quit.  Everything else is a peripheral issue.

image.png.822a83e7c1c2cfd2517466d816c2f306.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boo said:

This all gets back to the one question.  The only question that matters in determining the success of a quit: Did I smoke today?

If the answer to that question is "no", you're good to go.  If you answered "yes", you're not doing it right.

If you craved a cigarette all day but didn't smoke one, your quit is good.

If you romanticized cigarettes all day but didn't smoke, your quit is good.

If you were cranky or weepy or a little bit of both but refused to light up, your quit is good.

Quitting smoking is a one question test that is graded on a pass/fail basis.  The degree of difficulty one has in taking the test is not a factor.

Not smoking is the only thing that matters in a quit.  Everything else is a peripheral issue.

image.png.822a83e7c1c2cfd2517466d816c2f306.png

THAT was awesome! Well done, Sir!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1