Nonsmoker for 1 week, 1 hour and 20 min

Hello!   30 year pack-a-day smoker quit cold turkey one week ago!   Having a rough time when cravings hit like an overwhelming crashing wave.   Please share any tips, advice, and words of encouragement.   This 52 year old momma bear could use all the wonderful support you can offer and I promise to pay it forward.  ❤🐻

• Like 10

Welcome aboard mommabear and congratulations on taking back your freedom! The first month or so is definitely the hardest but once past them you'll never have to do them again!😊

What helped me in the first few months was sucking on sweets, drinking lots of fluids to help the body flush out those poisons. Listening to my body. If it was hungry, I ate. Tired, I slept etc. Your body is already working like crazy to clean up the gunk so give it what it needs. Mine also craved sweets. I was stuck on soft peppermint puffs my whole first year quit lol.

But the very best aide I found was being on a forum with others who knew exactly what I was going through at any given time. You will find that here with us. 

We have quitters in all phases of quitting and we are open worldwide, 24/7 😊

I suggest to check out all the various forums and get yourself acquainted with the place and again great decision to quit🤗

• Like 6

Welcome, Momma Bear. I am pushing 58 and almost at 2 months into my quit now. Like Jill said, it is tough at first but push through it and you will feel better guaranteed. Lots of water and liquids. I have to watch the caffeine or else I get too jacked up. Post an SOS if you get squirrelly and we will help you through it. 🙂

• Like 7

Welcome aboard ....and Congratulations on your great one week quit ...

Youv,e made the best decision for yourself ....

We have tons of great information on the Main Discussion Smoking Board....they are pinned in green 

Also Joel's Videos ...they cover most of your Questions....

Take time to look around the board ...we have fun posts,games,funny animals....

Lots of things to do ,to pass the time ...

You can do it ....Believe in yourself 😁

Edited by Doreensfree
  • Like 7

Welcome aboard MommaBear.  You are doing a great thing by quitting smoking.

Support from fellow quitters and education about nicotine addiction really helped me in my quit.  You can find both here.

It is good to have you here.

• Like 7

Hi IamMommaBear! :) I smoked for 40 years and quit cold turkey too. The first weeks are hard but so doable. All of us here are proof of that. What helped me was staying close to this forum (even if I did not post or comment) I found real help in educating myself with the videos and different forums and posts. I found encouragement by reading other peoples journeys. Personally I found mantra's help,  just saying them out loud over and over whenever the urge hits, I made post it notes of sayings I liked here and stuck them over the computer and back door where I use to slip out of to go for a smoke. Fast short walks were a great. Keeping distracted helps too, There games here, videos and ways to socialize. Welcome abroad the train what a great wonderful thing you doing for yourself. Be proud of the 1 week, 1 hour and 20 min's we all understand how awesome that is!

• Like 8

Welcome aboard Mommabear, this is the best decision you will ever make. Plus, this is the best support site for quitting smoking. There are people here in all different phases of their quit so lean on us. I was a pack a day smoker for 40 years and now I have been quit for 1 year and 4 months. It is 100% doable but it requires staying vigilant to your quit.

• Like 9

Welcome aboard Momma Bear! We all get so excited when someone new boards the train! I had severe anxiety during my initial quit so I pretty much had to lay in bed with the covers over my head and just cry it out. I eventually overcame it. My biggest help was constantly reading all of the posts on this page and drinking plenty of fluids to flush my system. We are all here to help when needed and I do wish you well with your quit. 🤗

• Like 7

I appreciate all of the positive comments, shared experiences, love, advice and support from each of you.   Means more than you know.   Everytime I feel overwhelmed by a craving I come here and read the comments as well as the information from other posts.   Thank you so much.   I know that I am not out of the woods yet and the urge to give in is so powerful but with your help and my resolve I remain a nonsmoker!!!!!  ❤🐻

• Like 9

Hi @IamMommaBear, if you want even more inspiration consider adding a ticker to your signature. It'll show you all the time, money and cigarettes NOT smoked since you quit. I loved looking at mine every morning when I logged on and seeing those numbers add up :) 

https://www.quittrain.com/tickers/ 

Here's a link also on how to insert it into your signature :)

https://www.quittrain.com/topic/15042-creating-a-ticker/

• Like 5

Welcome, @IamMommaBear! I am coming up on 3 months, and, honestly, there have been some strong cravings, but none I couldn’t fight. Stay strong! What helps me is thinking about my 4 kids and 12 grandkids. They are my motivation. I know they would like me to stick around, as long as I can. We have more memories to make. I am already 70, so who knows how much time I have left?!  May I suggest you start power walking? It has helped me tremendously. I got so into it, that I bought a treadmill, so I can continue through the 100 degree days we sometimes get. We have an S.O. S. Forum, so you can post if you are seriously thinking about lighting up. Something I read here that really resonated with me: “Who, in their right mind would put something in their mouth and set it on fire?!” We are all here for you.

• Like 7

Welcome to the board iammommabear! Lots of long term smokers like yourself(and myself} on this site that have  kicked the cigs out of their lives. Good people with lots of know how and big ears and hearts. I hope to see you around for a long time. You are off to a great start on your quit and it`s great that you have found the site for support if and when you need it. You can do this thing and it will get easier in time. Best wishes.

• Like 7

Your body is going through some major changes @IamMommaBear.....

It's used to being fed hundreds of poison,s 20 or more times a day ...

knowledge is the weapon you fight this monster ....the more you learn the easier it gets ...

Take  time to watch the Documentaries ....they are a eye opener ...

keep busy ...try getting some jigsaws to keep you occupied.....

it does get easier ..we are all proof of that .....

Take Smoking Off the Table No Matter What is Happening....this helped me alot in the early days ..🐸

• Like 7

2 hours ago, IamMommaBear said:

Had a rough moment just a bit ago...this gets easier, right?

It does get easier. I read an article about the changes your body goes through, after you quit, that was fascinating. Even after only 1 day, you have significantly lowered your chances of having a heart attack. After 3 days, all the nicotine is depleted, so your cravings are actually more psychological, in nature. You should be feeling more energetic, already. Physical activity helps, as does distraction. Read everything you can about the benefits of quitting. I deliberately stayed away from some of the stories that would make me sad, but someone here referenced Barb Tarbox, and I read an article about her, that had me in tears. If you need motivation, look up her story. You CAN do this!

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 7

30 minutes ago, IamMommaBear said:

Thank you @jillar!!!   I followed your awesome instructions but can't see my ticker.  I guess you can?  Lol!

I can see your ticker but I do know that they often don't appear on mobile devices.  I am currently using a web browser (Firefox) on my laptop and can see your ticker.

• Like 4