Any experience with Intermittent Fasting?

d2e8b8

The fast started a bit early so I'm about 2 hrs away from completing 48hrs.

Wed night, about midnight, thinking about the upcoming long fast, I heated and ate Thu meal.  And then ate some more - all the nuts and a couple of protein bars and some kefir.  That was bad so I got mad and decided to start the fast right away.

Was thinking about food this evening so I cooked a bit (to be clear - I'm a bad cook). Not having tasted it, have no idea how it turned out. 

2 more days to go and then I'll eat. It's the 1st 4-day fast for me.  With a couple of 3-day fasts behind me, not as concerned this time.  

Edited by d2e8b8

Less than 10 hours to go to complete Day 4.  It's been pretty normal so far, no hunger or cravings for food although I AM looking forward to shoving some food in the mouth later tonight.  Did an hour of interval run on the treadmill last night in addition to some light dumbbell workout.  

Planning to do a long-ish walk today.  It's actually quite motivating to see the waistline shrink (but it will grow again as soon as I eat I'm sure).  The joy of pulling the belt in one more notch ... priceless.

• Like 3

That's right @JustinHoot99.  4 x 24hr period with water, black tea and black coffee. 

Reintroduced food slowly last night but still had an upset tummy a couple of hours later.  I need to get better at this.  

Mon is usually a no-meal day but I ate a bit today.  Not a full meal but about a half-meal.  Will stay in maintenance mode rest of the year - 6 meals a week.  In the new year maybe try a 5-day fast.

Edited by d2e8b8
  • Like 1

Had a few bad days after the fast.  First, I allowed the sense of accomplishment to revert to late night snacking.  And also allowed some issues in life to rationalize the snacking.  This continued for 5 days.

I've stopped the snacking now and had a fast day today and hoping to get back to omad regularly again.  The feeling of empty belly and tight belt finally returned today.

Check out Jason Fung vids on youtube.  He has a lot of great info on fasting and health.  I think it's great that you are doing something to take your healthcare into your own hands.  Sometimes you just gotta go with what feels right to you!!

Just saw back in the old posts you talked about JF so just ignore me.

Edited by intoxicated yoda
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, it's Jan and time to do 5-day fast.  Late Dec and early Jan - both exercise and diet suffered a bit.  Anyway, new start ...

Last meal was dinner last night (late) so not yet 24hrs.  Next meal will be Fri night.  Already hungry but it should settle down soon. 

@intoxicated yoda, that'll be cool to do a fast together.

Day 3 is in the books, 2 more to go.  This evening I kept having food thoughts so went and bought a ton of coffee and nuts from the grocery store.  Also some junk food like chips which I probably should have been strong enough to avoid.

Was also planning what to eat on Fri and decided there's this little Italian place that makes fresh fish on Fridays.  You have to  order on Thu and the boss lady goes and buys fresh fish on Fri morning (mouth is watering as I write this).  They don't make extra so have to remember to call tomorrow. 

Lockdown is back - some places like schools and gyms are closed and other places are at 50%.  If we keep wearing masks for a few years, kids will grow up believing showing the nose is inappropriate .... ooh, that person had their mask below the nose and I saw it ... too sexy.

• Like 2

Day 4 done.  Less than 24 hrs left to next meal.  There's absolutely no difference in energy etc after 4 days other than the belt is down another notch (but that is only until the next meal).

Fresh fish didn't work out - the little place (and it IS little) is still closed for the holidays and opens next week.  Got some fish from another place but it's not the same.

The 1st meal after a long fast is usually a bit of a disappointment.  You're looking forward to it a lot but the stomach can't really food.  So you avoid eating all the things you REALLY want to eat and stay with safe (uninteresting) stuff that day and allow the stomach to get used to eating again.

If the body is so comfortable with not eating 5 days, you have to wonder what is the limit.  Perhaps I'll try 6 days in Apr.  

Ok, can't resist saying this again ... I'll eat tomorrow - feels like such a big thing :)

Edited by d2e8b8
  • Like 2

Managed to eat reasonably yesterday without getting an upset tummy - all the previous disasters have helped get the right sequence of how to break a long fast.  While the act of eating is very pleasant, the full belly feeling is not.  You're almost waiting to feel that empty belly again.

With a few months of OMAD, I feel the body becomes more efficient at processing food as well as dealing with lack of food during long fasts.  

For the next few months, it's maintenance mode which is ... 5 meals + 2 fast days a week.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Re-reading 'Stranger in a Strange Land' and was surprised to find a brief reference to intermittent fasting.  The author didn't use the label - just mentions briefly that the main characters ate infrequently and the hero Mike Smith ate every few days.

It was interesting that the concept was introduced that far back (although fasting has existed much longer in most cultures in some form or other so perhaps not a surprise).

• 2 months later...

Time flies and it's Apr - time for the next long fast.  Started a 6-day fast and day 1 will be done in less than 2 hours. 

This reset is badly needed as discipline hasn't  been too good lately.  Don't know why sometimes I get into "I don't really care what harm I do to myself" type of mindset - trying to put it behind me and move forward with a positive mindset.

I can't say smoking thoughts did not occur .... but never too seriously .... so that's a good thing.

• Like 2

Day 2 done, 4 more to go.  Had some serious and persistent hunger pangs between 1 & 5.  It should ease up tomorrow onwards.

Yesterday - did a 6.5k run plus a pull workout.

Today - Bit of rain so no outdoor activity - will do a leg workout now. 

• Like 1

3 days down, 3 more to go.  Didn't have too many hunger pangs but did experience cramping which is when I remembered to drink salt water.  Wouldn't recommend waiting till day 3 though.  I just forgot.

Did a 5k trail run but the legs felt tired.

Day 4 is done, a bit under 48hrs to go.  Making some broth tonight to break the fast.

Didn't get much sleep last night so a bit lethargic today.  No hunger or cramps.

Will do some light upper body exercises now.

Edited by d2e8b8

5 days down, less than 20 hrs to go.  Did enough food shopping this evening to last weeks. 

Had some cramps last night while working out around the rib cage area but managed to get a fairly decent workout anyway.  Today - just did a walk.

Looking forward to eating tomorrow but also a bit apprehensive as the tummy doesn't really do well after 1st meal - need to figure out a better way. 

The belt is finally down 1 notch.  

How long is too long to fast.  Was thinking of going 8 or 9 days in July.  Or go for 10?  People do 30 days and more but I don't have that much extra weight so need to find the right duration.  Was hoping to try 14 some time.

No shopping, no cooking, no cleaning up plus saving money, time and losing weight and getting healthy - what more could a (lazy) person ask for?

• Like 1

I see d2e8b8 that you still fasting on and off and exploring it. I currently on day 3 of one (for health reasons) may just go ahead at this point do 5 days. Made it through 2, will make it through 3 so it a thought. It is interesting to read your journey and thoughts on it, thank you for sharing. I feel pretty positive of it right now (more so than other times) maybe because I sort of equating it to the quitting smoking journey. Just do it and just do not put anything in your mouth lolol

• Like 1

Hey Dianne, good to see you doing it too.  

I find it hard to extend my fast at the end of the fast - meaning if I start out with a goal of 3, there's no way I can go at the end of day 3 ... hmmm, let's go 4 days now.  I'd be all prepped to eat by then.

I find it similar to quitting in many ways - the effort goes into NOT doing something.  The amazing thing to me is that I feel so good after multi-day fasts - good enough to do distance runs and feel light on my feet.

Please feel free to share your journey - I for one will be interested to hear your experiences.

• Like 2

I really wish it was not a holiday weekend. I would of liked to of extended my fast to 5 days but found it hard with me being the cook and all lol this was the first time during and after a fast I felt so positive about it and truly feel so much better after it. I will be incorporating fasting into my weekly life just not sure which route I want to go now with it. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

It's Jul tomorrow and time to start the next fast - 8 days.

Had the last meal Thu evening and the next meal will be on Fri 8th.  It's kind of cool that the date is also the counter for number of days fasted - simple pleasures for the simple mind :).

• Like 4

Day 2 down, already thinking and planning of the next meal on Fri.  I expect I'll start buying food on Wed, Thu .... but can't really eat much on 1st day is re-feeding.

Some cramps today.  Lots of bike time doing chores.

• Like 1