Any experience with Intermittent Fasting?

d2e8b8

Day 2 of my involuntary fast. I just drink the clearer colored Gatorade, so I am getting some calories, usually only a quart a day.  As @Dianne said, not difficult, by any means, especially with a fever and feeling ill.  I may go for 3 days this time, as this is a particularly nasty flare up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Here is a recent episode of Mind Pump where the guys discuss intermittent fasting.  The title "Why Intermittent Fasting is Bad" is misleading.  Sal, Justin, and Adam discuss the pros and cons of intermittent fasting.  They mostly take umbrage with intermittent fasting being marketed as a weight loss tool but do acknowledge the benefits as well.

If you're so inclined, here is the episode.

• Like 2

Nice discussion.  They didn't go as deep into the medical benefits of cell autophagy but they did look at different aspects of fasting which I enjoyed.  Including the negatives - that's something definitely to be aware of.

Completed a 2-day fast today and it was good to learn that it's possible to do it while maintaining normal activity.  Will stick with omad for the next few weeks and then try a 3-day fast next. 

It's a bit like quitting in a way - I used to crave snacks at night and for the 1st few days that was the hardest part.  There's the same pride of being able to overcome the crave.

• Like 2

Will have to save the video to watch later (looks interesting) but did note this comment under the video "I do a financial fasting diet, when i eat on pay week and fast when I'm out of cash, the day before pay day is a killer" LOL sometimes it all in the comments!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The 1 meal feels normal now and the idea of eating multiple times a day does not - amazing how quickly the body adapts.  There are no hunger pangs, in fact the tummy feels quite content all day.  Takeout does not agree with the digestion as well as home cooked food and since I don't really do much cooking, will need to find a way to get more home food. 

Lunch time is a 2 hour affair now.  About an hour to prep and an hour to eat.  It's nice to eat slow and enjoy every bite. 

• Like 1

Into the 2nd 48hr fast.  This was totally unplanned.  Didn't feel hungry (and was bored) so decided to skip today's meal.  Did the stairs late evening - 6 rounds and felt a bit dizzy around step 50 of 7th round so decided to end it there.  It's hot and love humidity is in the air ....

• Sad 1

Just finished eating after 48hrs.  Had some store bought bone broth from a carton but don't think my tummy liked it.  Maybe I'll try to make some.  It takes time to eat now as there's lots to eat plus I eat slow enjoying each bite.

For a lazy person, this is great.  Just eat lots once and don't bother for the next day (or 2).

• Haha 1

3 weeks now of omad, feels great.  Twice did 2-day fasts and hopefully the body is getting conditioned for the 3-day fast - maybe in week 5.

Waistline has gone down for sure and probably some weight as well (but haven't measured).  Needing to buy a new belt is kind of cool although I don't like spending the money.  Perhaps punch new holes in the old belt.

Did a 16k run today, about half of it uphill finishing with a stair climb of 390 steps.  Was totally exhausted at the end as I haven't done anything over 10k in months.  

• Like 3

This is becoming a soliloquy :) but want to maintain a journal ...

Completed the 3rd 2-day fast and feel the body should be ready for a 3-day fast now.  Need to decide if that can happen next week or allow 2 weeks gap.

Sometime in the future need to also decide if weekly 2-day fasts are needed or would it be better to do 3-day fasts at a lower frequency - once a month?

4 weeks omad done which included 3 48hr fasts.  So have had 6 meals a week last 3 weeks.

Had a feast tonight and starting a 72hr fast.  Will next eat Wed night and intend to do all workouts as normal. 

This is such a win - no shopping, no cooking, no cleaning, save money AND heal the body.

It's Wed night and I ate this evening after 72hrs.  It's a pretty amazing journey.  Did harder than normal workouts on Day 1 and 2 and took it easy today with only a walk after the meal.  I think I can no longer eat as much when I do eat and the stomach feels full quickly (or it could be that the refeed process is slow with gaps and causes one to feel full early).

Will stick to omad and 48hr fasts for the next 2 or 3 months and next long fast will be a 5-day fast.  The waistline is down for sure.

For anyone interested, you can look for Science of Fasting or Dr. Jason Fung's lectures on Youtube.

@d2e8b8, just watched a program about the OMAD diet and two of the three drs interviewed were AGAINST it because it causes your body to use muscles to get the energy it needs that daily eating provides. Furthermore they say heart problems and gall stones are possible side effects of doing that to yourself.

Just please be careful with that diet......🤗

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jillar said:

@d2e8b8, just watched a program about the OMAD diet and two of the three drs interviewed were AGAINST it because it causes your body to use muscles to get the energy it needs that daily eating provides. Furthermore they say heart problems and gall stones are possible side effects of doing that to yourself.

Just please be careful with that diet......🤗

I argued against it, too. The 8/ 16 method is safe, in my view: eating all meals in an 8 hour window, and fasting for 16 hours. A one hour window, or going full days without eating,  is madness.  Just one healthcare professional’s opinion.

• Like 2

@jillar and @Katgirl, thank you for your inputs and appreciate it.  Especially the concern :) 

Perhaps you may watch Science of fasting and Intermittent Fasting lecture by Dr. Jason Fung.  They're both kind of long ...

I will acknowledge that most people do not like the idea of not eating multiple meals a day including my Dr.

Edited by d2e8b8

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to do a 4-day fast this week but saw here that the last 3-day fast was only 2 weeks ago so decided to wait.  However, the brain didn't want to give up so compromised to 3-day.

Day 1 (after 24hrs) - Workout of stairs (2601) followed by 6k trail run half of which was uphill.

Day 2 (after 48hrs) - Dumbbell work on arms and some core workout.

The cool thing is there's no lethargy, the body feels alive and energetic. 

And the odd thing is - how does the body continue to create poop without food?  In trying to learn more about this topic, I learnt about Mariko Aoki phenomenon and fecal vomiting.  Also that poop is a goldmine  - waste from 1 million Americans could contain as much as $13 million worth of metals.

• Haha 2

And the odd thing is - how does the body continue to create poop without food?  In trying to learn more about this topic, I learnt about Mariko Aoki phenomenon and fecal vomiting.  Also that poop is a goldmine  - waste from 1 million Americans could contain as much as $13 million worth of metals.

Sounds like something  Boo might be interested in ...👌

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, d2e8b8 said:

And the odd thing is - how does the body continue to create poop without food?  

I can answer that one. You are pooping out waste from food you ate several days ago. The fact that you may have daily bowel movements doesn’t mean you are pooping,out yeaterday’s waste products. It can take several days to clear today’s waste. That’s why we need to take a prep before a colonoscopy. We need to clear several days worth of food waste. You’re welcome.

Love, 

Nurse Kat

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Doreensfree said:

And the odd thing is - how does the body continue to create poop without food?  In trying to learn more about this topic, I learnt about Mariko Aoki phenomenon and fecal vomiting.  Also that poop is a goldmine  - waste from 1 million Americans could contain as much as $13 million worth of metals.

Sounds like something  Boo might be interested in ...👌

Between dirty diapers, a dog that is a voracious eater, and the the donkey pen...I'm sitting on a goldmine here.

There's poop in them thar hills!

Bugs Bunny Money GIF by Looney Tunes

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think everything ends in the same place at the end.

Managed to avoid the upset tummy this time during re-feeding by introduce food slowly with breaks and avoiding the salad.  I suspect it's the raw onion but just skipped it all. 

@Katgirl, thanks for the explanation.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

It's Oct and time for a 4-day fast.  Have been dong a 48hr fast once a week with omad rest of the week.  This week, I don't eat on Mon.  Then feast on Tue, Wed, Thu and then stop eating till Mon - looking to go 96 hrs.

From a weight perspective, have lost some weight and it's visible on the face and tummy.  I find that it fluctuates based on when I last ate or went to the toilet and could vary 2 or 3 lbs.  Generally I'd say I've lost about 12 lbs or so over 2 months.  But I've also been working out a bit so hopefully gained some muscle weight.

I think fasting is alright for women but not so much as men. 

Fasting can cause the body to breakdown muscle rather than fat if it thinks it is starving. 

It can also divert vitamins and minerals from the brain which causes a decrease in higher order thinking.  

These things are not as important for women since they do not need as much in the way of muscle or higher order thinking.

But for men, the negative effects of fasting can outweigh the positives.

Oh, and by the way, everything I've written above is bull poo and meant only to get a rise. It's obviously a bunch of malarky.

I sometimes enjoy leading people on with a bit of sarcastic humor and hope you take it in the context it was meant.

Have a great day. 

Edited by JustinHoot99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, JustinHoot99 said:

I think fasting is alright for women but not so much as men. 

Fasting can cause the body to breakdown muscle rather than fat if it thinks it is starving. 

It can also divert vitamins and minerals from the brain which causes a decrease in higher order thinking.  

These things are not as important for women since they do not need as much in the way of muscle or higher order thinking.

But for men, the negative effects of fasting can outweigh the positives.

Oh, and by the way, everything I've written above is bull poo and meant only to get a rise. It's obviously a bunch of malarky.

I sometimes enjoy leading people on with a bit of sarcastic humor and hope you take it in the context it was meant.

Have a great day. 

I thought of this 😀

• Haha 1