Any experience with Intermittent Fasting?

d2e8b8

Mainly out of curiosity to explore how the body and brain would react and whether I'd be able to deal with it, started omad (one meal a day) a few days ago.  Seem to be doing ok so far.  Not really sure if it's doing good or harm - it's different for sure.  Thinking of trying 48hr and then 72hr fasts.  I mean, if someone can quit smoking, they can do anything, right?

Apart from the 1 meal, you're allowed water or black coffee/ tea.  Also the idea is to limit carbs but include fats.  Dong all the activities, no change there.

If you've tried it, what was your experience - good, bad?.  Are you still doing it or did you stop?  Why?

Edited by d2e8b8
typo
  • Sad 1

Good and bad experiences . I know of  two people who lost tons of weight fast .

Bp stabilized  .

Another lost ,went off it and gained it back and more . 

My recommendation . Talk to your doctor especially if you have other medical ailments . 

Some drs recommend its fine while others do not . Very understandable . My dr did not recommend it for me. 

Walk 

Edited by Abby
  • Like 2

It's less than a week but strangely 1 meal already seems normal.  I do miss the snacks but it's perhaps best to miss them. 

Will likely save some money on food so that seems like a benefit :) Have booked an appt with the doc.  

Don't have BP or weighing scale at home so no idea if any benefits there - don't feel any worse than before so that should be a good sign.

I will add that eating is v enjoyable and I slow it down to make it last longer :) 

• Sad 1

I have used an intermittent type fasting when I have diverticulitis flare ups. It is similar to a colonoscopy type fast except I do eat soft well cooked veggies in broth. It helps me through times and it is good for weight loss if that is your goal but as Katgirl mentioned you don`t get the nutrition in the long run.

• Like 2

Long term dietary changes are the best way to lose weight because it will last. Not the up and down that will drive you crazy. Allow yourself some indulgence`s but have a plan and stick to it. Exercise, walk whenever it is possible. Sleep on a regular basis as you need it.  It is like quitting cigs, different for everyone except realistic goals can be reached if you apply the same determination as quitting. Consult a doctor if you have conflicting health problems. You need proper nutrition for all body functions to work.

• Like 3

This is a type of fast that may work for you . One meal a day seems rather extravagant but now I forget what they call this but I've done this one . It is IF as well but not as extreme. 

Give  yourself an eight hour window to eat and the rest of the time you fast . I think this is safest and most healthy as you do get your three meals in and snacks . Just incorperate all the food groups in that time frame . Keep your calories to what you should have . Check with your dr what calorie intake you should take in in a day . 

I lost fifty pounds by just not eating after six p.m. ( a nighttime comfort food eater ) doing this type of fast . Of course I think an  excersise program is the best thing to add to any weight loss regimen . It doesn't have to be the gym it can even U  tube workouts . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Abby said:

Give  yourself an eight hour window to eat and the rest of the time you fast .

This works for me.  I've been doing the meal window plan for the better part of three years now. 

I eat a good breakfast after my morning workout.  I prefer working out in a fasted state.  During the day, I will eat a very light lunch.  More of a healthy snack.  This afternoon I had a couple of turkey roll-ups.  Dinner fluctuates from night-to-night, but I've been going a bit lighter of late.  When the hot weather settles in, my appetite decreases.

I've slimmed down a bit recently in spite of my workouts being slowed by an injury.

Finding what works for you is the tough part.  After that, it's smooth sailing.

• Like 3

The intermittent fasting I am familiar with does not limit you to one meal a day. You eat all your meals, 2, or 3 in an 8 hour period, then fast for sixteen hours. It doesn’t matter what 8 hour period you choose. you may have brunch at 11 AM, and finish dinner by 7 PM. This helps you burn fat. If you only eat one meal a day, your body will go into starvation mode and store fat, so not a good idea. This 16 hr fasting, 8 hour eating plan is a healthier way to utilize intermittent fasting technique.

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 2

It’s great that you always eat healthy, @Doreensfree. I don’t have that kind of discipline, when it comes to food. I love sweets, fatty meats, and potatoes. I do exercise some restraint, and, of course, I exercise daily, in order to stave off weight gain.

• Like 2

Although it'll be nice to lose a few lbs and inches, its not really a motivator.  It's probably just boredom from restrictions, lack of travel etc and enough free time to explore theories ...  A Japanese scientist won a Nobel prize for his research so maybe it may become mainstream in a few years once more people do research on the topic?  

So ... boredom and a desire to test the limits - I really have no idea if it's good for you or not although I 'think' it may have benefits.  The way I understand it, autophagy is the body's mechanism for recycling unhealthy cells and is induced by starvation.

@Katgirl the 1 meal is a fairly big meal, it's more like 1.5 to 1.75 meals.  And after a 24hr fast it is quite enjoyable.  I'm realizing that coffee will need to be reduced further (which is a shame as I have some (ok lots) coffee in stock).  Was reading that tea and green tea may be better but as a coffee drinker it's not too appealing.

So far nothing seems off so not sure how to measure if the body is getting what it needs.  And since this seems easy now, I'd like to next try a 48hr fast next week.

Edited by d2e8b8
  • Confused 1

You would have had to consume 1200 calories, in that one meal, to ensure the  body continues to function properly. If less than 1200 calories, in that meal, you are potentially harming yourself.  Many of us want to lose weight, but it’s important to do it safely. You can do research on the body’s minimum caloric requirements to verify what I’m telling you. Take care.

• Like 1

@Abby and @garry mhudson, a 16hr fast did not seem challenging enough so wanted to start with 24.  The benefits apparently kick in with the 16-8 plan.  This evening, it felt like the belt needed another notch which was a nice feeling.

Have an appt with the doc on Fri so will see how that goes but expect it'll not go too well.

• Sad 1

The discussion with the doc did NOT go well and ended with 'it's your body so you can do whatever you want with it' which kind of hints at ....  The timing wasn't great as the doc had just finished telling me the last bloodwork was better than it had been for years when I sprung the news about the new meal plan which means the meds can't be taken on old schedule.  In fact it really means stopping some of the meds so the doc wasn't quite in agreement but I'm seriously tired of meds.

I do trust the doc and am torn a bit ... Maybe check in 3 months time how the body is coping and decide at that time.

• Sad 1

I have but not willingly exactly, diverticulitis has caused me to do multiple times of fasting. My longest fast was 5 days usually I only do 2-3 days. I gather you doing this more out of curiosity then to lose weight. Healthline has many articles on this if you just punch in intermittent fasting into their search bar. Personally I find I more mentally clear for 2-3 days of fasting  (energetic and just a sense of well being)  but by the end of the 3rd day I start to feel a little light headed and not as mentally clear. I also find after 3 days I start to have this weird internal argument within myself about food (which probably not healthy) where I now do not want food but I know I need food and it becomes this emotional battle in my head. Might be different if my reasons for the fast just to do it and not because of the diverticulitis. There do seem to be real health benefits to intermittent fasting and from my reading on it men seem to benefit more from it than women or at least women need to take into account a few more things about it like fertility ect ect

Edited by Dianne
  • Like 2

I, too, suffer from Diverticulitis flare ups. No fun! I go on clear liquids when that happens. I generally stick with a clear Gatorade and ginger ale. I hate the antibiotic regimen, but always get them prescribed, out of caution, even though the newest school of thought is that resting the bowel, alone, should clear it up. I’m not buying it, at least, not yet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Dianne, Wow 5 days!  And 2-3 days is like nothing?  This is giving me hope.  I'll do a 2-day fast this week.  Do you do anything when breaking the fast after a few days.  I've read bone broth is good but I don't have the skills to make some.

Edited by d2e8b8
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I not doing it for the sake of doing it (though to be honest I have so many flare ups lately I am honestly thinking of just fasting 2 days a week from here on out) the 2-3 days probably feel easier to me then someone just doing it because I am sick and do not feel like eating to begin with. I have not tried the bone broth yet, I too hear good things of it. Usually I just do regular broth but with this last flare broth taste horrible. I mean really horrible along with a number of other things. So this last time I just stuck with water (which not ideal) and slowly did soft low fiber foods stuff like soda crackers. chicken noodle soup, mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs ect you can buy bone broth in the stores but like I said I have not tried it yet. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry to hear about the flare ups @Dianne.  Hope you feel better.

I think it makes a difference if you HAVE to fast vs you CHOOSE to fast.  For me it's something new and my choice so I look forward to it.

I am in the middle of a 48hr fast - the last meal was yesterday and the next one will be tomorrow.  Also did a distance run on the trail today (7.5miles) just to see how the body reacts and all seems pretty normal so far.  It'll be nice to check if there's any weight loss.

• Like 2

At least 2 days of fasting for me. Fever, severe abdominal pain, weird stools. God, I hate this. It takes about 36 to 48 hours to start feeling better. 1 st antibiotic on board. I caved and took low dose Norco with a Tylenol. I was holding off, because I might need my antianxiety med. But, my boyfriend says, “horse doo do!” He is a retired Pharmacist, so we make quite the medical pair.  Intellectually, I know that taking one Norco and .5 mg of Klonopin is safe, but the medical community, in general, makes it their business to scare the crap out of anyone who has an RX for both. It’s a movement. I know there is an Opioid crisis, in this country. I also know, I’m not part of it. But the powers that be have me so paranoid, that I will try to refrain from taking my anti anxiety med. Ridiculous!

• Sad 3

The antibiotic I am on can be taken with or without food, though the Nurse Practitioner didn’t seem to know that.(I’m used to knowing more than the people treating me, even the doctors, sometimes) The pain meds make me a bit nauseous, but I am always on “clear liquids only”, when I take it. I could probably nibble on some crackers when I take it. The most important thing to do, when one has a bad flare up, is to rest the bowel for several days. If a particularly bad flare up, as this one certainly is, antibiotics are necessary to clear the inflammation/ infection. Thank you d, for your concern. It means a lot…❤️

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 1