"And now for something completely different"

Kris

I bet many of you know where that phrase comes from.  Any way, between all of you and the TV, I have been able to avoid any murder charges or have animal services show up to take custody of my fur children .

Does anyone else like old movies, spent the day yesterday with Andy Hardy.  Also enjoy westerns, anything John Wayne, Lonesome Dove, Dead Mans Walk etc.  Alfred Hitchcock...Jimmy Stewart, Lucille Ball, Doris Day, Elizabeth Taylor.

The first one I would like to submit is The Quiet Man, John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara.

Not a western but a great movie by these two.

Send me your favorites so I can have at the ready.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kris said:

Also enjoy westerns, anything John Wayne, Lonesome Dove, Dead Mans Walk etc.  

I love Westerns.  The "Spaghetti Westerns" of Sergio Leone are my favorites.  Obviously the ones with Clint Eastwood are always highly recommended: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, A Fistful of Dollars, and For a Few Dollars More are all considered classics for good reason.  Eastwood wasn't in Once Upon a Time in the West, but that may well have been the best Western Leone ever produced.

John Ford produced so many classics, most starring John Wayne: The Searchers, Rio Grande, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, How the West was Won...not a bad one in the bunch.  Those movies not only hold up well, I think they look better than most of the movies made today.

I recently watched several of Akira Kurosawa's films.  Kurosawa was heavily influenced by John Ford and later Sergio Leone was influenced by Kurosawa.  The themes of Kurosawa's movies were very similar to Westerns only with samurais instead of cowboys.  I will always consider Seven Samurai the best Western that isn't actually a Western.

Jeremiah Johnson is more of a story about a mountain man than a cowboy, but I really like that movie.  It is an overlooked gem.

And while they may never be considered classics and were not critically acclaimed, it is ridiculous how many times I've watched Tombstone and those Young Guns movies.  That's just good, clean, all-American fun right there.

• Like 1

Dear Boo,

You have much to teach me Obi-wan.  I am not really into the spaghetti westerns, but I will watch those.  I don't really know about the directors, I just know what I like.  

I like all the John Wayne movies you listed plus Big Jake (my son is named Jacob), ( I think this is the one where he had the dog named dog and would kill every mothers son if his grandson was hurt)  (now the way you would do if anyone hurts your baby girl), and everyone thought he was dead....."not hardly."

The Shootist with Ron Howard in my opinion was great.  In real life knowing the end was near and doing this role.

I am also very fond of The Cowboys, a movie all boys should watch to learn about  hard work, team work, honesty and bravery and respect. if you have not seen The Quiet Man please get it or I can send you my copy...a great rom-com.

K

I

• Like 2

@Boo and @Kris I love the old westerns also.  How about Cat Balloo with Jane Fonda and Lee Marvin or McClintok with John Wayne and Maureen Ohara.  Those two were always great together.  It is not just the older westerns that are good.  I love the older movies period!  Most of the newer movies leave you feeling blah.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kris said:

Lucille Ball

Have you ever seen The Long Long trailer with Lucille Ball?  My husband and I love that movie. It is so funny.  Have you ever watched the Danny Kaye movies.  We love those too.  My favorite movie with Danny Kaye is the Five Pennies. They seemed to have so much fun making the old movies.  I suppose I could go on forever.  I am definitely an older movie buff. 

I must agree Mee,  McClinctock also one of my favorites. I was told that John Wayne had certain actors that he liked to work with.  You will see some of these people again and again in his movies. Maureen O'Hara was one of his favorites and a

K close friend as well.

I do enjoy old movies all all types as well and enjoy watching TCM (Turner Classic Movies)  I would think this channel would be available all over the country.   I find that the dramas and mystery movies out perform a lot of what is out there today.  It is nice to watch things that do not involve a lot of crap that is not needed, they focus on the story line and the actors performance.. and most of all leave out the loud interfering music. (I suffer from migraines).

K

Yes!!!! the Long Long trailer is one of my favorites.  My husband used to tease me because everywhere we went I had to bring something back. Also love Yours, Mine and Ours.

What about Doris day in With Six You Get Eggrolls and Please Don't Eat the Daisys

I never had a friend who liked to watch old movies.  Something I would do with my Mom, she passed at 90 years old but till the end liked to do this.

K

Yes!!!! the Long Long trailer is one of my favorites.  My husband used to tease me because everywhere we went I had to bring something back. Also love Yours, Mine and Ours.

What about Doris day in With Six You Get Eggrolls and Please Don't Eat the Daisys

I never had a friend who liked to watch old movies.  Something I would do with my Mom, she passed at 90 years old but till the end liked to do this.

K

20 hours ago, Mee said:

I love the old westerns also.  How about Cat Balloo with Jane Fonda and Lee Marvin or McClintok with John Wayne and Maureen Ohara.  Those two were always great together.  

I was watching clips of old late night talk shows on YouTube.  Lee Marvin was on Dick Cavett's show.  Dick asked Lee: "during the war, where were you wounded?"  Lee answered: "in the ass, I got shot in the ass."  Lee Marvin was as cool and tough in real life as he was on screen.

On 6/30/2021 at 1:56 PM, Kris said:

Send me your favorites so I can have at the ready.

I'll probably revisit this thread often.  There are so many good Westerns, there is no way I will cover them all in one post.

Today's pick: Lonely are the Brave starring Kirk Douglas.  The movie is based on one of my favorite books of all-time: "The Brave Cowboy" by Edward Abbey.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 8:07 PM, Kris said:

I never had a friend who liked to watch old movies.

Well you have a friend here.  You sound like me and love reading about the old stars.  Another favorite of mine was Susan Hayward.  Did you ever see Back Street.  It was a real tear jerker love story.  I also loved the singing and dancing movies.  Of course Singing in the Rain and Gene Kelly were favorites.    My husband's favorite was White Christmas with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye.  We definitely have to keep this thread going and talk about different movies.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2021 at 3:27 PM, Kris said:

Dear Boo,

You have much to teach me Obi-wan.  I am not really into the spaghetti westerns, but I will watch those.  I don't really know about the directors, I just know what I like.  

I like all the John Wayne movies you listed plus Big Jake (my son is named Jacob), ( I think this is the one where he had the dog named dog and would kill every mothers son if his grandson was hurt)  (now the way you would do if anyone hurts your baby girl), and everyone thought he was dead....."not hardly."

The Shootist with Ron Howard in my opinion was great.  In real life knowing the end was near and doing this role.

I am also very fond of The Cowboys, a movie all boys should watch to learn about  hard work, team work, honesty and bravery and respect. if you have not seen The Quiet Man please get it or I can send you my copy...a great rom-com.

K

I

The Cowboys is one of my favorite movies from the early 70s. I read that actor Bruce Dern didn't want to take the part originally because he knew people would hate him for shooting and killing John Wayne.

And speaking of Bruce Dern, he is one of my favorite actors. Some of my favorite movies of his are "Sillent Running" from the early 70s and even more recent ones like "Nebraska".

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 7:36 PM, Steven Drojensky said:

The Cowboys is one of my favorite movies from the early 70s. I read that actor Bruce Dern didn't want to take the part originally because he knew people would hate him for shooting and killing John Wayne.

That was a good movie.  About time to pull out my copy and watch it again.

Bruce Dern had a small but memorable role in Hang 'Em High as well.

"You ain't ever gonna get me to Fort Grant alive, boy."

"Then I'll get you there dead...boy."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boo said:

That was a good movie.  About time to pull out my copy and watch it again.

Bruce Dern had a small but memorable role in Hang 'Em High as well.

"You ain't ever gonna get me to Fort Grant alive, boy."

"Then I'll get you there dead...boy."

Cool, I'll have to check that out.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, cutting back the cable to save some money, cost of everything going through the roof. When you have a set limited income you have to cut back where you can. So,,, looking for suggestions that might be available at my library or on netflix which I just joined.  

K

1 hour ago, Kris said:

Okay, cutting back the cable to save some money, cost of everything going through the roof. When you have a set limited income you have to cut back where you can. So,,, looking for suggestions that might be available at my library or on netflix which I just joined.  

The last movie I watched on Netflix was "The Dawn Wall."  Even if you don't care one iota about mountain climbing, this is a great documentary.  Couple of fellas facing a big obstacle, persevering, overcoming, and eventually triumphing...all that good stuff.

Tommy Caldwell is one of the best climbers in the world despite having cut off his left index finger.  He was held hostage in Kyrgyzstan and pushed a terrorist off of a mountain to escape.  Then he became the first man to successfully climb the Dawn Wall.  Fair to say, he's had an interesting life.

• Like 3

Okay Jillar,

I think I have watched some of Lucifer years ago, and there was a very handsome young man as a lead.  I think I would enjoy that! (Sorry all you guys but we like some eye candy too).

I am not familiar with ONE but will check it out.

Thanks Jillar,

K

• Like 1

Hi  Boo, 

I love documentaries, they are entertaining and educational.  Full of experiences that I will never get to enjoy but we can do thru others.  I appreciate the feedback! You made some suggestions awhile back for Westerns.  I will check and see if they are on Netflix.  I have seem Jerimiah Johnson before, it is one I would like to see again. I will check to see if it is on there.  Have to check out the search feature.

K

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Boo said:

The last movie I watched on Netflix was "The Dawn Wall."  Even if you don't care one iota about mountain climbing, this is a great documentary.  Couple of fellas facing a big obstacle, persevering, overcoming, and eventually triumphing...all that good stuff.

Tommy Caldwell is one of the best climbers in the world despite having cut off his left index finger.  He was held hostage in Kyrgyzstan and pushed a terrorist off of a mountain to escape.  Then he became the first man to successfully climb the Dawn Wall.  Fair to say, he's had an interesting life.

I watched this yesterday, amazing strength and determination. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kris said:

Thanks for the review, on my list for this weekend.  Anymore suggestions?  I have a lot of time to fill, got myself on another lockdown as the Delta is going crazy here in Texas.

Thanks

K

My sister-in-law lives in Texas she said the same thing were she is

On 8/27/2021 at 3:36 PM, Kris said:

You made some suggestions awhile back for Westerns.  I will check and see if they are on Netflix. 

I don't think it's on Netflix yet, but I suggest watching "Conagher" if you can find it; I'm pretty sure you can rent it on YouTube.  It is one of the most underrated westerns of all-time.  Conagher is based on the Louis L'Amour novel of the same name and stars Sam Elliott.

Thanks Boo, I will check netflix to see if it is there. Nope, not there buy I will check the library next time I go.  I was just thinking of doing Lonesome Dove again. ( That is here in our local history we have Lonesome Dove Road out by a lake near by that they say was in the area of Lonesome Dove trail for cattle drives) I do not know if that is true but I like to think so.

Also pulled out my DVD of Tombstone, my husband (and I ) loved this one.

I have not watched the Dawn Wall yet, that is on my list.  Jillar I did binge watch ONE and enjoyed it Kind of Tech, Scifi and drama all in one.

K

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok...so growing up in Straya during the 80's meant 2 things .... on a Satdee, if you were inside, your telly would give a Tarzan movie on Chanel 9, then if ya flicked over to 7 you'd get at least 1 Elvis movie and possibly a ma n pa kettle or a John Wayne....sundee arvo was Shirley Temple time.

• Like 1