What are you doing to stop the crave.

Kris

I have an arsenal but still struggling. Can't do anything real physical due to recent hip replacement. I can't get up or down very easy so only so much house cleaning I can do.

I am currently smoking a plastic straw, seems to help some.  When I am done with my straw it will bake to the kitchen to bake.  keeps me busy...but we quit smoking for better health and I can't stop eating.  I have to get control or I will have a whole other problem.  I am no good with technology. I love the board, first time I have ever done this.  Find myself getting frustrated when I can't get things work right and just that makes me want to smoke.

K

I loved my JAC (jillars air cigarette) it worked great at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing. You could try sucking on hard candies, those soft peppermint puffs don't have very many calories at all.

But try not to worry right now about any extra weight you may gain. Your quit is much more important than the extra pounds plus once you're secure with your quit THEN you can work on losing any extra weight.

One thing at a time 🤗

Also @Kris, if you need to know how to navigate our site PLEASE don't hesitate to ask. We want to help make your quit as easy as possible!😊

• Like 2

working it all, have a lozenge, air cig and just finished homemade bread for the neighbors.  Once it rises and is baked I can deliver.

I know I should not worry about the weight but I went thru heck to lose 20lbs. I will not let this stop me. Easier to lose weight than quit. I do not want to have to go thru this again.  

I had a small practice quit when I had surgery, just 24 little hours in the hospital.

It was awful, in pain, could not smoke and a girl just could not get a diet coke.  I drank so much water I got low sodium and they had to IV me some saline solution.

Okay, gonna get back to distraction going to wipe down the bottom kitchen cabinets and the walls.  

Thank for letting me whine.

K

PS what is the notifications thing it pops up but I try to click on it and it disappears?

• Like 1

A sampling of low-ish impact choices for oral fixation might include:

• Sugar Free Cough drops
  • Sunflower Seeds
  • Dental Floss
  • Celery
  • Broccoli
  • Sliced Red Bell Peppers
  • Carrots
  • Baked Kale
  • Cucumber slices
  • Dried unsweetened coconut
  • Cinnamon Sticks (personal favorite)
  • Olives   
  • Like 3

@Kris, notifications tell you when someone likes your post or mentions you in one. It also tells you if someone you're following has posted, those types of things. If you click on the little globe a window should pop open and it will show you the most recent notifications you've received. at the bottom you can click on view all notifications and it'll bring up a window to see them all. 

image.png.b61c59349ecb2f34c4d1ef7be79e00ac.png

Edited by jillar
  • Like 1

Yes ....first things first ....Quitting is your priority.....

As I got further along ...my weight started to fall naturally....as I started to eat less....

We say Quitting is a journey ,putting down the cigs is the first part of that journey ...

Try chewing regular gum ..sugar free....it kept my mouth busy ....

• Like 2

Thanks Jillar, found it, see the stuff you have shown me.  I will keep on exploring.

I feel like I have gone to a really great party and been introduced to a hundred new people. Now I need to remember everyone's name and the which story belongs to each of you.

Thanks for sharing other ways I can get this done.

K

• Like 2

Whine away  Kris. That`s part of what the site is about. I gained some weight but is was easy to shed once I felt good about my quit. Get the quit going first. whatever gets you through the night except smoking. You seem to be doing the right stuff. Stay busy both mental and physical if possible. Really hoping you get this done. good folks here to help. best wishes.

• Like 2

@Kris I am a crafter.  I would immerse myself in crafting and it helped take my mind off smoking.  Maybe you could bake and share it with your neighbors.  

How was you hip replacement?  Was it painful getting done.   My husband had both his knees replaced this past year.  One in October and one in February.  His knees were so bad, he gained 2 inches because his legs bowed so much.  I always worried he ruined his hips the way he was walking the last years of work.  He had to wait till he retired until he could get them done and he did a physical job.  

• Like 2

@Kris, I got quite angry that I couldn't quit and kept failing.   Somehow, I was able to channel that anger (luck mostly because I can't honestly say it was part of the master plan) against the Trigger.

I would visualize myself holding a hammer and hitting the Trigger violently while screaming (in my mind most times but I know I let it out once or twice at the office startling coworkers) - DIE TRIGGER DIE.  For variation I would hit a toothpaste watching it squeeze out with every hit (this was strictly at home and had to start buying toothpaste at Costco to keep up).

If violence appeals ,,. just sayin'.  Otherwise there are other more peaceful ways like eating.

• Haha 2

If you have quite a handle there.  Can I call you D2?

No I am not opposed to violence, I in fact attacked a stick of butter earlier this week. Just squeezed and squeezed until if has all over my hand and the counter.  I have also tangled with yard tools and appliances. I get very unhappy if things don't work like they should of just stop working.  I think the worst was the old vacuums that you had to change belts or when I new bag would not go in right.  I will assume you have removed your trigger from your life, so you won two battles,

the smoking and the trigger.

K

• Haha 3

@Kris, Hiiiii .... of course you can call me D2.  In a loving tone would be good too.  

Liking the butter violence.  Just curious if someone was able to eat the butter after?  (As long as the counter and hand were clean you know ... or not too dirty.)

Don't really have triggers now although life tried a bit the last couple of years.

• Haha 2

Well...If we are talking violence.....I reckon I can join in ...

I had a punching pillow at the start of my quit ....using a permanent marker,I drawn a face of a certain person 

Well I'm no artist ..more of a match stick man 

Whenever I got a bad urge ..I would punch that pillows hard as I could ...

Sending it flying through the air ...boy ....did that make me feel good ...👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Well...If we are talking violence.....I reckon I can join in ...

I had a punching pillow at the start of my quit ....

Just the pillow? Always?

Do share if there were occasions when the pillow wasn't handy.

• Haha 1