A bump in the road

Abby

Warning this may trigger the thoughts of smoking to some people at a critical time but it may also be of help in a critical time .  You are the in the drivers seat , put on your seat belt and keep your quit at all times . 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shhhhhh  . Quiet .

Has one of these thoughts crossed your mind?

Just one and no one will know.

No one will ever know because I won't tell .

Just one more cigarette to help me through this and then I’ll be faithful to my quit . I won't let it happen again . Or ...have you said...

I’ll just smoke this butt . One puff off a butt isn't even a cigarette . It won't hurt .

I did think those thoughts and they led me to smoking . I did have those thoughts again and they also led me to freedom .

Those thoughts were a pre warning sign . The red flag my quit was in danger or warning to keep my quit and let nothing take it . Many times I didn't heed the warning and well you know what happened .

I was driving down a one way street and things were going great in my quit until a bump in the road . Construction stalled traffic flow and put everything at a standstill . I had to be patient just a little while longer to get through but I wasn't . I was frustrated and angry and in a hurry and wanted my peace so said a few choice words ( under my breath ) said pee on it ? I did a U ee and took a detour the wrong way . That was my first mistake . Frustration grew into panic cause I had no map to follow , no idea how to get outta the mess I got in and well lo and behold there between the seat was a cigarette . It came out out of no where and I smoked . I was lost more than ever now .... the smoke didn't fix a thing . It didn't get me to my destination quicker or safer . 

I am the driver of my quit . You yours .

We can go down one way streets if we want to . We can bend all the rules if we want to . We can get caught up in construction or keep going around the traffic circle going no where but continually starting over another quit ......or we can not smoke and never have another day 1 .

I asked for directions at the next bump in the road , and followed them . A man there with a yellow vest stood with a sign that said WARNING . Danger ahead . I heeded those words .

Well you know what happened ...

Abby 

Edited by Abby
Paragraph wasin wrong spot
  • Like 9

This is a timely reminder Abby. I've had those thoughts when I feel in need of comforting, cigarettes were a comfort to me. Those times when you are feeling low and sorry for yourself and there's no one around to say "sorry things are so tough for you". Not even a dog around to pat and hug! I don't really understand what is actually comforting about cigarettes, probably that mind numbing surge of nicotine through the system. A friend of mine who had quit for a long time had a bad car accident and she said that all she wanted after it was a cigarette. I'm exploring these ideas and trying to find a healthy substitute that brings 'comfort' in frustrating, sad, hard and lonely times. 

• Like 3

On 6/18/2021 at 9:40 AM, Abby said:

Warning this may trigger the thoughts of smoking to some people at a critical time but it may also be of help in a critical time .  You are the in the drivers seat , put on your seat belt and keep your quit at all times . 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shhhhhh  . Quiet .

Has one of these thoughts crossed your mind?

Just one and no one will know.

No one will ever know because I won't tell .

Just one more cigarette to help me through this and then I’ll be faithful to my quit . I won't let it happen again . Or ...have you said...

I’ll just smoke this butt . One puff off a butt isn't even a cigarette . It won't hurt .

I did think those thoughts and they led me to smoking . I did have those thoughts again and they also led me to freedom .

Those thoughts were a pre warning sign . The red flag my quit was in danger or warning to keep my quit and let nothing take it . Many times I didn't heed the warning and well you know what happened .

I was driving down a one way street and things were going great in my quit until a bump in the road . Construction stalled traffic flow and put everything at a standstill . I had to be patient just a little while longer to get through but I wasn't . I was frustrated and angry and in a hurry and wanted my peace so said a few choice words ( under my breath ) said pee on it ? I did a U ee and took a detour the wrong way . That was my first mistake . Frustration grew into panic cause I had no map to follow , no idea how to get outta the mess I got in and well lo and behold there between the seat was a cigarette . It came out out of no where and I smoked . I was lost more than ever now .... the smoke didn't fix a thing . It didn't get me to my destination quicker or safer . 

I am the driver of my quit . You yours .

We can go down one way streets if we want to . We can bend all the rules if we want to . We can get caught up in construction or keep going around the traffic circle going no where but continually starting over another quit ......or we can not smoke and never have another day 1 .

I asked for directions at the next bump in the road , and followed them . A man there with a yellow vest stood with a sign that said WARNING . Danger ahead . I heeded those words .

Well you know what happened ...

Abby