A welcome to newcomers

Abby

6 hours ago, Lawrence said:

From Nova Scotia, about an hour or so from Oak Island, which you may have heard of. I haven't quit smoking yet but on my way to do so as strongly advised by a doctor (never been on any medications, next day, three, so yeah I need to quit). I'm down from a pack a day (for 35+ years) to 12 cigarettes a day now; doesn't seem like much of a change but it is to me.

Shrimp, no thank-you. Brussel sprouts: I won't ask for them, but if they are on my plate I'll eat them.

Edit: my first post on this site, good to get that out of the way.

Lawrence, I did it your way, and when I got down to 7 cigarettes a day, and did that for a few weeks, I said, close enough, and then stopped all together. So keep tapering, get down below a half pack, then stop! I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it seemed. Of course I had cravings, but I stuck close to this group, and it’s been rather painless.  Now, I have a full month smoke free! BTW, it was my doctor who got through to me, too. Being a Nurse, I don’t much like doctors, but he was so convincing and passionate, (and, of course, I knew he was right) I followed his advise. You can do this, Lawrence! Come aboard the train! 😊

• Like 5

Welcome Lawrence, quitting is a tough gig at the start but you can do it! Never thought I'd be able to, but here I am more than two months down the track. Some do 'cold turkey' but I use nicotine spray...helps with those really tough cravings which can still pop up even after a few weeks. Reckon it's heaps better than smoking anyway. All the best!

• Like 5

Thanks everyone for sharing . I still see a few that are quiet and that's ok too but I bet they are the ones that don't like shrimp :) just kidding .

I  greatly appreciate all of you who shared and made this thread not only an introduction but fun too . There's so much more to quitting smoking and we do have fun . 

For any other newcomers or elders , please feel free to share a bit about yourself , whatever you feel comfortable sharing so we all get to know each other better . 

Its great to see and hear from newcomers anytime . We certainly remember that introducing ourselves was one of the first steps as it is at any gathering and can be a bit scary so bravo to those who've shared on this thread and taken that step . 

Take a peak around , post , read , whatever works for you . We are glad you are here .  

Edited by Abby
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Abby said:

Thanks everyone for sharing . I still see a few that are quiet and that's ok too but I bet they are the ones that don't like shrimp :) just kidding .

I  greatly appreciate all of you who shared and made this thread not only an introduction but fun too . There's so much more to quitting smoking and we do have fun . 

For any other newcomers or elders , please feel free to share a bit about yourself , whatever you feel comfortable sharing so we all get to know each other better . 

Its great to see and hear from newcomers anytime . We certainly remember that introducing ourselves was one of the first steps as it is at any gathering and can be a bit scary so bravo to those who've shared on this thread and taken that step . 

Take a peak around , post , read , whatever works for you . We are glad you are here .  

Thanks for suggesting it, @Abby. If nothing else, we learned that you don’t like shrimp….😂 And Yes, I have always been a smart a$$!

• Haha 5

Hi people know me as Ace & my profile pic tells a lot about me- probably not what you think tho lol

Born n raised So Cal I am everything this land offers. Grew up skateboarding surfing playing little league and pee wee football

Ice hockey rodeo and triathlons as an adult.

I own a business that engineers & installs fire sprinkler systems

Always been active and outgoing- smoking just doesn't fit my lifestyle so it had to go.

I'm an addict- smoking was my dope, so now I live a life of NOPE

I like shrimp

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

No it's not nice @reciprocity, it's a bummer Ace likes shrimp , I loved reading and getting to know who Ace is then he ended it all with " I like shrimp " @AceWhite .  Well ....... lol .

I was surprised Ace . Somehow I didn't see you as a rodeo guy . Cool . I definitely see you as an Ex smoker though . Congrats , and keep up the good work . All those things ya love to do are just going to get better too . 

You like shrimp ? All that butter ... going to have to work on changing your mind ha ha . Eat pasta , my kids ate pasta before swim races .. suppose to make ya swim faster .. shrimp 🍤  Definitely nope ! 

• Like 2

Shrimp are found on the bottom of the ocean on the floor wall . The idea is to swim skimming the top water not sit on the bottom @AceWhite eat your pasta lol stay clear of shrimp . The butter will sink ya to the bottom . Use the feet as the propeller . 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Hello Everyone,

I am Darcy and currently hugely enjoying living in Minnesota about an hour north of the twin cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul). 

I have smoked 39 years , minus a few.

Quitting because I like myself and my life much more when I am free. Also, health, scent, life quality, money and resource allocation.

Gave up over a year of wonderful freedom last week.   Glad I am aware and taking action to be free again.

a big fan of both prawns and brussel sprouts.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

hello fellow addicts...

been "quit" for 47 days.  the quit is in quotes because i had a backslide last night and bought a juul.  partly because i've been so bloated i can barely get my shoes on and partly because i'm an idiot.  i chose to forgive myself that 1 transgression since i'm a recovering cig junkie and apparently not that smart.  anyway, that may have turned out to be a good miss as they say in golf.  i inhaled about 3 puffs of that thing over about a 4 hour period and for some reason i had what i think was a panic attack.  not sure, all i know is that i was terrified for some reason.  anyway, turns out today that my resolve was strengthened but at the same time it exposed a chink in my armor so i decided to join you guy for some support and guidance.  went through today with no adverse affects that i can discern and i'm still bloated and can't take a poo so i don't believe i've completely derailed my progress.  any advice for unclogging the pipes will be greatly appreciated.   let's stick it to them by not letting them stick it to us!!

@Rozuki  thanks for the reply.  i've tried those, smooth move teas, metamucel, etc.  i would have thought by the 6 week mark things would have freed up but not happenin' for me yet.  the only thing that gets anything moving is by putting bacon grease in my coffee....(please for the love of God don't ask me how i came to try that)....but even that just gives me a weak consolation prize.  I"m needing to hit the jackpot if you get my drift.  was hoping someone on here would see this that had a similar issue and maybe found a solution or even if it resolves itself over the next few weeks i'd be okay with that.  it's the not knowing that drives me to do stupid sh*t.  pun intended.

Welcome aboard  @intoxicated yoda and congratulations on taking your freedom back! Have you tried an OTC product like exlax? That worked really good and fast when I used it. Also drink lots of water.

Be sure to check out all our various forums and give a shout out in the SOS forum if you feel your quit is in jeopardy. 

@jillar  thank you so much for the reply and the suggestion.  exlax is probably the one thing that i haven't tried cause it's never worked for me before butttt, apparently things on my insides have changed quite a bit so maybe it's worth a shot to try it again.  and to be honest, i don't think i can drink anymore water than i do now.  i don't think my quit is in jeopardy right now as long as you good folks let me slide on the transgression described in a previous post.  that actually could demoralize me right now.  i get a few more months down the road and you can dock me that time.  thanks in advance

Okay, here you go one way or another.  First go to the drugstore and get some Phillips Milk of Magnesia.   Make sure you have plenty of toilet paper in the bath.  Take a double dose, at least two capfuls.  Follow that with water, 2 or 3 glasses, just keep sipping.  Since you have not gone in awhile you will have  some cramping.  Just go with it.  The first time will not be pleasant since you have been constipated.  After that you will be good to go, go and go.  Do not plan on leaving the house for the day.  You will empty beyond belief and then you will feel better.  

At that point you will have a new outlook on life and can concentrate of getting ready to quit smoking.  Sorry to say the vap does count, you are starting over and that is okay.  Don't feel bad!

All you can do is get yourself ready and start again.  I am only three and half months in and I smoked for as long as you.  I did not think I could do it but I am with the help of the people here.

Lets get you feeling better and it will be easier to start your quit.

K

One other thing, if that does not work for you it is time to see a doctor.  You may have some sort of blockage that needs to be addressed.  This is very important, you could risk a very bad outcome if you do not address this

K

good call.  hadn't thought of trying the MOM.  to late to get it tonight but 1st thing in the morning i'll give it a try.  cramping up for the big elimination would be more than welcomed at this point.  however, since a mod decided to not give me any shit i'm gonna let myself slide on my quit date.  you can count it as you wish but i need all the momentum i can keep right now.  thanks again for the suggestion.  i like that strategy.