Is there a ripple effect , a full moon ?

Abby

Don't you just hate this addiction when especially you see how it takes your friends from this community even if just a while . No , we've don't know each other personally but we have a personal connection that only smoking addicts can understand. 

Never give up folks . Never ever think you are not welcome here no matter if you've failed or not . I don't know of many who can quit on their own or have quit first try .

Quitting IS a process and although all of us would like to see the least amount of pain for our fellow quitters and the quickest way through , it's a process .

I suppose we can't inferfere with that . People learn what they need to in their own time . 

Addiction like an octopus has captured its prey here the last couple days and it saddens me but I'm hopeful they will come back even stronger . 

I'm concerned we have a ripple effect that can often happen when one or a few members smoke. Others see it as opportunity to give themselves permission to smoke too .  It's important to keep your quit for you but for the group as well . Perhaps thinking of others help ourselves too . I remember having one foot out the door ready to give up one night myself , one foot out the door and one foot in . What stopped me from buying cigarettes was the quit community . 

I hope our friends come back soon .Hope they ride the waves with strength and ripple gently into shore . 

Edited by Abby
Sp and sentence structure
  • Like 3

I don't believe we have a ripple effect going on, at least I hope we don't. Instead I think the farther we go in our quits the more complacent we become. And the more complacent we become the more we stray away from our safety net (our community). 

Its very important to know your warning signs of relapsing. And I say your because everyone's signs, or triggers, are different. That is when its time to recommit to your quit. To come on and post, NOPE, vent or pm someone to talk to BEFORE you take that first puff.......

• Like 3

Well that's good if you think there is no ripple effect happening but I do think it's important for people to know about the ripple effect , that it can happen and it can be very tempting to newer quitters when they see people giving in .Just sharing my experience so that people can be aware .

• Like 2

I don't feel it is a ripple effect either.  I do feel we have been all living a dreadful year.  Being isolated and discouraged brings depression.  When we are depressed, we look down on ourselves.  When we are down our strength weakens.  I do believe this community is essential but have also found myself distracted from the forum.  I think continuing our friendships and helping others helps each of us stay vigilant.  It took me too many years to find freedom and I know that I never want to be a smoker again.  Many people here helped me through very dark days and helped me to believe in myself.  All of us are valuable and stronger than we realize.  Come here and reach out when you feel weak.  We are here to hold each other up.

• Like 4

Must be a full moon then :) ? Just hope everyone is back on track soon .  I already miss them . I value their input here even if they just pledge .

Off n taking a much needed just hanging out watching tv night . 

• Like 2

I'm still holding it together thankfully! The Covid pandemic has made everything hard, not just quitting smoking. Things are slightly more normal here now, we were allowed to meet for our ukulele class this morning however we all had to wear masks in the room and were not allowed to sing together! I found that hard, but at least I was with other people. The isolation can do your head in! There is live music this weekend with very limited numbers allowed in each venue, masks have to be worn and we all have to check in, in case there needs to be tracking of people if there is an outbreak. I am so grateful for these small freedoms as it means there is something to look forward to again. These events and the Quit Train have helped me enormously to maintain my quit so far.... 

• Like 6

This is just my intake ...it may differ from others ..

In my quit along the way ..I have seen many friends fall victim to the Nicotine trap,when they had good quits going...this used to effect me big style ...

But what it did do was make my own quit stronger ..because I could see how easy it was to fall...

I'm agreeing that this virus has probably had alot to do with this issue this year or so ...

The great news is ...ML and Steven jumped right back in to thier seats ...

Edited by Doreensfree
  • Like 7

If you believe that we are affected by astrology some of you might know that we are currently smack bang in mercury retrograde at the moment, making life a little trickier to navigate. 

Covid brought HUGE challenges for everyone and still do. 

These factors are maybe 30% of the challenges we face right now,  ultimately we still have free will and we are mostly in charge of our lives. Our thoughts, our decisions, our mindsets are controlled by US and nothing else. 

• Like 5

I’m not sure about the ripple effect either. A person smokes because he/she allowes and eventually provides. There's really no external effect or person or whatever responsible for that. The more I come to think of it, the more I see how I started jeopardizing my quit somewhere at the start of this year. I recognized that I felt isolated and lonely, I knew I had to go full on self care. I think I did a lot of things quite ok, considering circumstances. But, somewhere along the line, the thought “I can always grab a smoke, if things really fall apart” came in. And although I didn’t really held on to the thought (at least that’s what I uhm... thought haha), I wasn’t facing it either. What I should have done, was coming here way more often. It should have been my absolute no 1 priority to keep that quit, like it has been for so long. Regardless of personal and global circumstances, moons or stars.. bit I didn’t. And now I’m sorry and have to sit on the blisters, as we say here. 

so, don’t ripple effect me, don’t be like MLMR!! (Or at least not relaps-wise 😉 )

Edited by MLMR
  • Like 6

I didn't  know ML. So recently three . I'm so sorry to hear this , but yes glad they are all back on the wagon

They didn't cause each other to lose their quits in that ripple effect sense but definitely a rough time that all seemed to be around the same time . 

@Robbie we might soon be singing outdoors again too and so happy because it's been 15 months . I am too anxiously waiting. Enjoy 😊 I'm glad to hear you are getting back to it . Music really does help,. I think maybe we will be able to sing with masks on , but I know there are guidelines and rules . New lax of restrictions here starts today . It's been broken down into three stages this will be stage two. We've all definitely learned to appreciate the little things through this pandemic . It's been hard for sure . 

Thanks @MLMR thinking one can grab a smoke is dangerous , stinkin thinking I called it when I went there . Smoking has to completely take it off the table as an option . I had stinking thinking which led to romancing which led to one puff which led to losing eight years quit which led to COPD /asthma diagnosis , and it didn't end there . I'm confused is there another ML or this was you who recently smoked and got bk n the wagon , if so I'm so glad you didn't go on to relapse . 

@PeachFuzz  l think I have never slept properly when it seems there is a full moon . Lack of sleep too can cause us to let our gaurd  down . Hungry angry lonely and tired . If we think of those four things quite often a crave will pass when we recognize it's not a smoke we need , but nurturing ourselves in one of those ways . Halt . I'm not sure younfolks use that term here . As far as astrology tho I don't know much about that . 

@Doreensfree I agree and was the case for me . An eight year quit I gave away because I was confident in my long quit and took a puff . It did make me stronger . I have almost ten years now and this quit I haven't been so unwise to think I can't be trapped by a trigger again . I don't dwell on smoking but I do stay vigilant. 

@Mee depression is hard . Anxiety , panic all those things but I know again from personal experience and from  knowing others with the same that quitting is still not impossible , maybe a bit harder , but harder makes us stronger too . I am proud of those who suffer those things and still keep coming back , still make their way through . 

Thanks everyone for your very very thought filled input and thoughtful responses . It's been a good discussion , hopefully others will still come to add . Different perspectives and observations are helpful . 

Keeping a light on for those to come home . 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Abby said:

@PeachFuzz  l think I have never slept properly when it seems there is a full moon . Lack of sleep too can cause us to let our gaurd  down . Hungry angry lonely and tired . If we think of those four things quite often a crave will pass when we recognize it's not a smoke we need , but nurturing ourselves in one of those ways . Halt . I'm not sure younfolks use that term here . As far as astrology tho I don't know much about that

I'm with you @Abby as much as I am fascinated and in love with a full moon it always makes me feel unsettled. Like you I struggle to sleep.  I'll find myself taking photographs of it at 2am in the morning ,  almost as a way of acknowledging her beauty and magnitude. Studies have shown that many of us are affected on a physical or mental level during this time .  I use it as a time of introspection. Journalling is very cathartic.I know that it's temporary and part of life. I'll be concerned if I start howling at it 🤣🤣🤣 p.s. I'm a big believer in HALT #facts. Sleep is vital to me.  Love, light and blessings to you.  xx

Edited by PeachFuzz
Can't remember. Probably a typo 😄
  • Like 1