Just Quit for the Second Time

Katgirl

1 hour ago, jillar said:

Hope you're having a better today @Katgirl!

I am, but yesterday got worse. Last night, I was rushed to the ER, via ambulance, with a sky high blood pressure and a bad headache. Thankfully my EKG was normal, and after appropriate treatment, I was released. That hasn’t happened to me, in years. I honestly believe that the stress of yesterday brought all that on, as it has on several past occasions. Crazy! Right now, I feel fine. Spent a lovely morning,  just hanging out, in bed, playing video games, with my guy. 

• Sad 4

4 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

Wow!!!....So good you are in the mend ....scarey experience for you ...

Chilling out with your guy sounds just what is needed today .❤

Unfortunately, he has to work for a few hours this afternoon, but I will try my best to distract myself. Feeling a bit vulnerable at the moment. 

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Katgirl said:

Unfortunately, he has to work for a few hours this afternoon, but I will try my best to distract myself. Feeling a bit vulnerable at the moment. 

What a scary night for you!

Stick close to us, we got your back while your boyfriend is working. 🤗

• Like 3

Breath in breath out what a scary night. So glad you got to relax the morning with your guy. Yep stay here lots to keep you busy from the music videos to blogs ect ect :) Hope you have a peaceful relaxing night!

• Like 4

Thank you, Dianne. I honestly think that from the time I got stung simultaneously, by 2 bees yesterday morning, my day just spiraled, because my mind did. While John was getting ready for work today, I took my usual 20 minute brisk walk, even though it’s getting pretty hot here. I was going to cut myself some slack, and skip it today, but sometimes it’s a better idea to fake it til you make it, and carry on, as if everything is normal. 

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 5

Early quits mostly such big time emotions! But, this is the timeframe when you develop your coping skills. Whether those be going for a walk, having a shower mid-day just because it distracts you or whatever! Doesn't matter as long as you don't end up listening to your junkie brain telling you to light up. This is the real battle ..... ignoring what your junkie thoughts are telling you to do. 

Understand that this doesn't last forever. It's part of your journey but in retrospect, it's an instant. A very challenging one but just an instant. Get beyond that and you'll be fine!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IQ4me said:

Hi @Katgirl!! Welcome and Congrats on your forever QUIT!!  Punch those thoughts of smoking to the curb!! 😊

200.gif

I, too, am from Jersey, originally. Born in north Jersey, grew up in Philly suburbs and wound up raising my family in South Jersey. After my husband passed suddenly in 2014, I decided to check out the left coast. 😊

Edited by Katgirl

14 hours ago, Katgirl said:

After my husband passed suddenly in 2014, I decided to check out the left coast.

You picked a beautiful part of our state to settle in. I'm on the central coast 😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jillar said:

You picked a beautiful part of our state to settle in. I'm on the central coast 😊

Hey! It’s wine country, so……😂 In all seriousness, though I belong to several wine clubs, and have several dozen bottles on hand,  I haven’t touched any alcohol, since I quit, for fear it would be a trigger.  My Uncle Frank gave me that advice, when I told him I quit. 

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 3

@Katgirl, I had read that too after I was already three weeks quit and had been drinking my couple of beers everyday. I just stayed close to home for pretty much the first month quit. So that was never a problem for me but it has been for a lot of others. Mostly from going out drinking with friends from what I've read. Regardless better safe than sorry!😊

• Like 2

Hope you are feeling better today @Katgirl take it easy and look after yourself.

p.s. one day when you have a glass of red wine again, you will be amazed how good it tastes :) mark my words.  But yes it's an association and a trigger.  Best left for a long time yet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katgirl said:

I like my red wine, but I always had a glass in one hand, and a cigarette in the other. No sense playing with fire…..Pun intended….😊

Trust your instincts.

If you feel like alcohol is a threat to your quit, stay away from it.

Quitting smoking is priority one.

image.png.822a83e7c1c2cfd2517466d816c2f306.png

• Like 2

18 days today, and, overall, going pretty well, if we take Tuesday out of the equation. ( bee stings, ride in ambulance, hypertensive crisis, etc.) My biggest problem has been an increase in anxiety, which I believe is associated with my quitting. I expect it will get better, though. I have battled THAT demon my whole adult life, so have developed some necessary coping skills. I wish I had better control over it, but because of my ailment, I am reluctant to try new meds, that may, or may not help. Being an RN, I research any drugs my shrink suggests, and the potential side effects aren’t worth the risk. Especially bad are ones that list “may cause anxiety” as a side effect. “No, thank you”, I tell my Doc. She has been treating me, for many years, so she is used to that reaction. In a strange coincidence, she followed me from the east coast to the west coast, and when I needed help, again, I couldn’t believe my fortune, that she was out here, too. I honestly felt like God smiled upon me….

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Gus said:

You are doing great Kat! You handle yourself very well and will be someone for newbies to follow. You have great reasoning skills!

Thank you, Gus! I actually pride myself on my ability to use logic and reason in any given situation. I think it is what made me a good Nurse. I had my appointment with Jody( shrink mentioned above), just yesterday, via Zoom, and we were discussing something, when I said, “Well, I am a very logical thinker, and she emphatically replied, “Yes, you are!”  I hope I can give back to others, what has been so freely and generously given to me. You gals and guys are awesome! 😊❤️

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@KatgirlThat was definitely a God wink with your doctor. You are doing great!!! You've got this. Keep up the good work.I know what you mean about the drugs. It seems like that's all the doctors want to do is add another pill. I worked as EMT-SPEC and around medical slot. My doctor tells me quit looking stuff up I'm going to take your computer away lol but he knows me too. You have got to be your own best advocate. Hang in there girlfriend

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Linda said:

@KatgirlThat was definitely a God wink with your doctor. You are doing great!!! You've got this. Keep up the good work.I know what you mean about the drugs. It seems like that's all the doctors want to do is add another pill. I worked as EMT-SPEC and around medical slot. My doctor tells me quit looking stuff up I'm going to take your computer away lol but he knows me too. You have got to be your own best advocate. Hang in there girlfriend

Trying my best! My boyfriend is working late today, so I am alone. I wish he would slow down, and I have told him so. I even said, “Why  am I staying here, if you’re never around?” It was a tad dramatic, I suppose, but it is how I was feeling. I noticed I feel better when he’s around, so expect I will stay put for awhile. I do have my own lovely place, about 60 miles away.  So I hang out in his bachelor pad, ( imagine a house with no Window treatments, except, Venetian blinds, no rhyme or reason to how it is decorated, TVs that are too small for these old eyes, a crazy blow up king size bed , ugly ancient wall paper, etc. And the clutter! I spent 2 weeks, decluttering the place, so I could at least tolerate being here. He wants me to commit to moving in, but I can’t, not until he hires a decorator and puts me in charge…..😂

• Haha 2