A picture

Dianne

I’ve seen a few photos like this.  Hard to believe they’re all real as smokers wouldn’t allow anyone to take a close up photo, masked or not.   Having said that, I do have an anecdote of my own.   Early in pandemic I saw a women come out of store wearing mask, shield and rubber gloves which she promptly took off and lit a cigarette.   The irony.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

33 days ago I did the same (though I only had a mask on) when I got out of the store I would take it off and light up.....here on day 32 of freedom I glad that not me today... this hour this month :) 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Doreensfree said:

The poor Addict....they have to smoke ....It comes first ....

Nicotine addiction runs every aspect of your life 24-7 when you smoke. Everything is planned around your smoking routine!

That's why freedom from your addiction is so precious :) Taking back your own life!

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 7

I apologize in advance if this is excessively maudlin, but I'll never forget the images of my 42 year old brother who, having lost consciousness for the final time as a result of his metastatic lung cancer, still made smoking gestures with his hand and mouth for some time until his actual death.  His inability to quit smoking made his death that much more terrible--his final months, weeks, and days were marked by guilt, regret, and shame for his role in his own early demise.  Testifying to the horror of it all is the fact that his wife took her own life very shortly after he died. 

I was already quit for more than seven years at the time, but it illustrated to me that, while I definitely quit for a better life, I also quit for a better death.    

Christian99

Nearing 19 1/2 Years Quit   

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

Thank you for sharing Christian...

I saw my friend ask for a cigerette a couple of hours before she passed away ....

Pancreatic Cancer brought on by Smoking ..

It was the saddest thing to watch ....

I too thought I would probably die a smoker ....having tried and failed to quit too many times to count ...

I count my blessings every day ...I found Freedom and I  will die a free woman ..

• Like 7

Thank you @Christian99  No need to apologize for truth. It’s what we need to hear. Truth saves! My husband died from cancer(not smoking related). He was a smoker though. Up until the very day of his death, when he could no longer speak he would hold his hand out rubbing his thumb against those first two fingers. It was his way of asking for a cigarette. He no longer had the ability to even smoke it. But the anguish and anxiety of not getting the cigarettes was evident and extremely distressing. For him and others. If ever an image was needed to never smoke again  it would be the one you have or the one I have or the one @Doreensfree has. Thank you for prompting this memory for me. I will use it. I will use it to stay free and healthy and whole. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Christian99 said:

but I'll never forget the images of my 42 year old brother who, having lost consciousness for the final time as a result of his metastatic lung cancer, still made smoking gestures with his hand and mouth for some time until his actual death.  His inability to quit smoking made his death that much more terrible--his final months, weeks, and days were marked by guilt, regret, and shame for his role in his own early demise.  Testifying to the horror of it all is the fact that his wife took her own life very shortly after he died. 

I'm so sorry for your and your family's loss. To have lost a brother and then a while later a sister in law must have been so hard 😢

• Like 4

Emphysema.....

It's not only Cancer ...I watched my Hubby suffer with this illness for well over 15 years ...

Slowly taking away his life ...

He died 2 years ago ..spending his last year's on oxygen and in a wheel chair ...

Needing carer,s to help me tend to his needs ...

KTQ.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

My brother-in- law was tethered to oxygen for several years before he passed away. My sister claimed that he suffered from some weird pulmonary condition, that he inherited from his father. But what I remember is him smoking for years, as did his father.  So, was there really a strange lung disease, or was it his nicotine addiction that took his life? I should add here, that my sister is known for spinning tall tales. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Katgirl said:

My brother-in- law was tethered to oxygen for several years before he passed away. My sister claimed that he suffered from some weird pulmonary condition, that he inherited from his father. But what I remember is him smoking for years, as did his father.  So, was there really a strange lung disease, or was it his nicotine addiction that took his life? I should add here, that my sister is known for spinning tall tales. 

Yeah. that weird pulmonary condition would be called 'smoking' by most folk. 

• Like 2