NRT

Gus

Ugh. I chose nicotine patches to assist me through my initial quit because of my history with anxiety and panic attacks. I skipped the stage 1 (21mg) and started with the stage 2 (14mg) patches even though I was a 2 pack a day smoker because I figured I could handle it and I did. It was rough, but I persevered. Today is my first day on the stage 3 (7mg) patches and I am feeling tense. I don’t have the urge to smoke at all, but it’s like a constant state of low agitation that is starting to wear on me. I’m doing everything I’ve done so far to help me get through the roughest parts of my quit, but I’m realizing it’s mental, not physical. And so I am on another tangent, berating myself because I am so weak-minded. So not in control of my mental state. I’m just speaking the trials of my journey. Maybe one day someone will read this and say, ‘But that’s me. I’m not alone in this battle. Others have fought the same fight. And won!’ Because I will. You will see. Stay on the train. And you will see. 

• Like 8

Ugh, I do not miss those early days for just that reason @Gus! I have no doubt you will succeed as well. And just remember this too shall pass and you won't always feel this way, the freedom is so worth it 🤗

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Your body is adjusting again Gus ....

Hopefully in a day or two ,it will settle down to the new dosage ....

Your doing great ...be patient ....you'll get there ....

And Wow ,it will be all worth it ....Keep going ....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are right Gus. Everyone sharing their journey and struggles here helps someone else to realize they not alone in this. I am thankful for each sharing here. It encourages me. You got this Gus! You do. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I have no doubt you'll be just fine with the lowered dose. It's the mental aspects of smoking that take the real time and effort to get comfortable with and you seem to be doing a great job of that so far.  Unravelling all those habitual smokes we attached to things we did day in and day out. That's the thing that takes time & patience to overcome. You're on your way now Gus. You'll do just fine! Your participation in a forum like this helps not only others but by helping others you reinforce your own quit efforts. It really is a win-win!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are taking the steps and that in itself is HUGE. When you are ready you could look at things like yoga, box breathing,  and meditation to ease the anxiety. 

Even just a walk around the block will release natural endorphins and soothe your mind. 

This is a time to be kind to yourself. Big bubble baths, hot rock massages or something as simple as giving yourself a Mani or a Pedi. Giving yourself the gift of health is the best thing you can do for yourself. Health really is wealth. When you feel good about yourself,  all these things will snowball in your favour. I'm not a doctor but ideally work IMHO work towards weaning the patches. Once the nicotine is out of your system (3 days) the true detox starts. 

I personally find journalling and doing my gratitude journal makes some days SO much more bearable. 

Every couple of days do a personal "check in" on yourself. See the diagram below. Keep strong. Big hugs. 

20210430_194238.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I’ve had a real downer of a day. Really teary eyed. Not as bad as when I first quit, but still thankful that I didn’t have to be out in public. I don’t know if it’s the reduction of nicotine because I started the 7mg patch yesterday or because of everything else going on in my life. I’m sure it’s both. But I’m hoping for a brighter day tomorrow even though it’s supposed to be quite stormy. The weather affects my state of mind too. A lot going on, but smoking ain’t one of them! 🙌

• Like 6

Best of luck to you. I used patches, from 21 mg to 7 mg. I didn't quit. I just wasn't over smoking.

Then I found my Reason to Quit, and quit without patches. I wonder if there is a placebo effect to the patches. Is it the nicotine? I don't know. 

All I know is that when I found my Reason, I quit without a qualm, without the edginess that I experienced on the patches.

But patches help some folks, so hang in there. If you really want to quit, you will.

:) 

• Like 4

Kate18. Thank you. I really want to quit. I have quit. I’m going to stay quit. I suffer from depressive anxiety and the slow draw from nicotine has to better for me than cold turkey because what I’ve experienced so far would have been so much worse without the patches and I KNOW that I would not have made it through. I am going to only do 3 to 4 weeks of the 7mg patch though. I don’t feel the need to do the 6-8 week routine. Bunch of money grubbing corporations wrote the directions for patch use. HaHa I actually skipped the 21mg patches altogether and I am so proud of myself for that. Thank you for the encouragement. Everyone on here has been so supportive. 🤗

• Like 2

I hear you Gus. The emotions seems to lay just right there at the surface. It is beyond nerve wracking to feel like that. I keep going for short walks. Am sure my neighbors think I have flipped my mind, each time I burst out the door for a short walk lol...You got this! I hope a good night of sleep will help you wake refreshed to a new day! :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Gus, my advice is to not try to stop the tears, I cried for days after quitting and still do sometimes. I read an article that states that quitting smoking can bring on symptoms similar to clinical depression and I'm sure that is true for some of us unfortunately. Don't know about you, but I'm worse (with depression) in the mornings and I think that first cigarette of the day used to sort of 'shock' my body and brain into alertness. But what an awful way to wake up with a cocktail of chemicals blasting through the brain and body! I try deep breathing in the mornings now, which sounds simple but it helps as I used to cough terribly after my first cigarette....after nearly one month I'm starting to feel my breath coming easier and it's a good feeling too. I have used a nicotine spray instead of a patch and that means I can use it when I feel an urge to smoke which may be a few times a day or not that often as things improve. I feel your pain Gus, but the benefits of being off the cigarettes start to accumulate. I am on day 28 but this is not my first quit but doing my best to make it my last! All the best to you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Robbie said:

Hi Gus, my advice is to not try to stop the tears

Hey Robbie! I’ll be 7 weeks quit Wednesday! Trust me, I let those tears fall like rain. Although I hated them; that they were brought on by weakness; I knew that they were cleansing. This is my first quit. My only quit. I can’t go through that again. I know it. It’s not in me. So, I WILL prevail. I don’t crave cigarettes. Maybe because of the patches? I get anxious—really anxious from maybe 3-9 p.m. Probably some kind of weird sundowner thing. Nothing with me is ever simple. LOL  😞 But enough about me. I do hope that this quit will stick for you. And I hope we can both shake the doldrums. I hope to follow your quit and will be here to encourage you and well, just chat the mundane. I spend a lot of time here. It has been a mind saver, as well as a life saver. I do hope the best for you! Take care! 🤗

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used NRT to quit.

I had previously tried to quit over the years.... quit cold turkey the first time....then went back after a short time. Next time I tried hypnosis...that quit lasted longer but still I relapsed. By the time my third and final attempt to quit occurred I had been smoking at least a pack a day for over 40 + years...not something I am proud of.  My use of the nicotine patches started w the 21mg they gave me while in the hospital recovering from a stroke...which was due in part to all those years of smoking. I then made a decision to step down the patches when I felt ready. So stayed on each level a few extra weeks. Did lots of deep breathing, drank lots of water and played lots of solitaire online and walked as much as I could. Was feeling pretty good and so happy as the days turned into weeks, then months and then finally got to the Lido deck.....and hit the one year milestone!

The Universe then kicked me in the butt and wasn't done with me yet. Turns out the years of smoking had also damaged the arteries leading to my heart. I would need a CABGx3 which meant a triple bypass was needed and there was no time to waste.  Was back in hospital and on the operating table within days of that one year milestone!! Talk about anxiety....but the good thing was that I hadn't smoked in a year and my surgeon was pleased with that and said things would go well. They did and I am doing great now.

I also attribute the fact that online support groups existed at the time of my final quit as a big factor in getting through those first months after the initial hell weeks...and for me they were god-awful times!!!

Smoking damages everything in your body.....teeth, lungs, arteries, skin, etc.

Hope my experience helps someone who may be on the fence about quitting.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I'm proud of you Gus and every single other overcomer on this site. Everybody's quit looks different. I equate it to going on a different eating plan or making lifestyle changes. What works for one person may not work for another. So long as one beats this demon. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 12:52 PM, Gus said:

I’m just speaking the trials of my journey.

A day short of being 11 weeks quit from smoking. 7 days into being completely nicotine free. This is hard. It’s mental. I’ve been crying again for two days again because I don’t even know why half the time and the rest of the time it’s because of everything. I am physically worn out from keeping myself active because I can’t sleep. My mental state really is the worst and is what is bothering me the most because you just have to let it run it’s course. I’m hoping that at least by day 10, I will be presentable to the public. I had no idea that withdrawals from a 7mg patch would be so rough. Having gone through these withdrawals at each stage of my quit using nicotine replacement therapy via patches you may be wondering if I believe it was worth it because of the high levels of anxiety and depression I have gone through not once, but three times? (Remember I skipped the 21mg step 1 patches.) Yes. I do. For me. I can only imagine how bad it all could have been without the patches. I know without a doubt that it was the right decision for me. Just like I know that I would never survive another quit. Which is why I will never quit this quit. I can’t. I hope that anyone contemplating a quit really sits down and thinks it through. Plan it. Know your limits. Set some goals and follow through. Join this forum. Stay close. Oh so close. ✌️

• Like 4

Sorry your going through this Gus ....this is a horrible addiction for sure ...

The monsters dying ...and getting weaker all the time ....

One morning you will wake ,and suddenly reolize it's got better ...

You have come so far ....try chewing regular gum ...it keeps your mouth busy and your brain active ..

What you are achieving is amazing ....your amazing ....

Tomorrow is another day ...hope it's better for you .🐸

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can identify with what you are going through, because I have experienced both severe depression and anxiety, off and on, throughout my adult life, but I’m still standing!  I do hope you will seek medical advice, if it doesn’t get better soon, or if you feel that you cannot cope on your own. I am pulling for you. ❤️

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 3

I feeling ya Gus! The lack of sleep the anxiety the emotions....it was brutal! Here I am day 45 doing so much better....day 45 so much closer than you can think of right now but it will come....you got this Gus you really do.....this is our quit (our time to win for ourselves)  we not going back... we not going to lose it and we not going to have to go through this hell again! Hang in there! *hugs* 

• Like 4