I did not think of myself as a addict

Dianne

Sounds funny to write it and say it. In all these years of smoking...sure I knew I was a smoker but the thought of addict. I never thought of that or chose not to. Being here one big day now.... I realize or acknowledge I am indeed a addict.....dangggggg

• Like 6

Think that's pretty typical Dianne. We tend to think of an addict as someone huddled in the corner of an alleyway with a needle stuck in their arm, not someone like us just going about their daily routine. 

Realizing your own addiction to this insidious drug nicotine is an important step in fighting for your freedom.

Well done Dianne :) 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Dianne said:

Sounds funny to write it and say it. In all these years of smoking...sure I knew I was a smoker but the thought of addict. I never thought of that or chose not to. Being here one big day now.... I realize or acknowledge I am indeed a addict.....dangggggg

I was the same ...I thought I was just a lady who happened to reward herself 20 times a day 

For doing well anything ...or if I was stressed ...or if I was bored ...well if I felt anyway ...

Me a Addict ...no way ...

It took the knowledge from the board ..and Allen Carr ,to make me understand....

That's exactly what I am ...

• Like 5

I thought of my smoking as a bad habit but whenever I tried to quit my bad habit, I couldn't do it.  I assumed I could still take the occasional social smoke (how I started) but  every time I did light up, it re-feuled my nicotine addiction.

It is a physical and mental addiction but breaking free of that addiction is freedom.

There is a lot of info on this site that can help you out but @Doreensfree also brought up Allen Carr.  Seek out Allen Carr's book "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" , either in print or on the internet.  I wouldn't say it made quitting "easy" but it really put smoking and quitting in perspective for me.  Some didn't like it but it really helped me realize that I gained nothing positive from smoking.  It is all negative.   Check out that book if you can.  I think it will help.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Dianne said:

Recognizing the addiction is a big step in quitting smoking.

All of those "reasons" we smoked.  That list of times we "needed" a cigarette...all null and void.

We smoked because we were addicted to nicotine.  We were addicted to nicotine because we smoked.  Smoking was never anything more than us feeding our addiction.

You have made a breakthrough here Dianne.  Congratulations.

Edited by Boo
  • Like 4

I knew I was addicted, but to realize well into your quit as you are huddled under a blanket with tears streaming from your eyes, uncontrollable body shakes, erratic heart rate, and depressive anxiety that you are really one of ‘those’ addicts is one cold hard bit of truth that must be confronted to make our quit successful. I will not forget I had to go through that. I will not forget that I allowed something that wanted to kill me to control every aspect of my life. I’m still waiting on the anger to erupt. I realized that I’m actually going through the stages of grief and well I’m doing everything I can to prevail and just spit on smokings grave and be free of its mental chains!

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Gus said:

I knew I was addicted, but to realize well into your quit as you are huddled under a blanket with tears streaming from your eyes, uncontrollable body shakes, erratic heart rate, and depressive anxiety that you are really one of ‘those’ addicts is one cold hard bit of truth that must be confronted to make our quit successful. I will not forget I had to go through that. I will not forget that I allowed something that wanted to kill me to control every aspect of my life. I’m still waiting on the anger to erupt. I realized that I’m actually going through the stages of grief and well I’m doing everything I can to prevail and just spit on smokings grave and be free of its mental chains!

What you've gone through Gus is pretty normal for all of us in the early days of quitting. What's important though is that you're seeing the truth about smoking and blaming it for harming your health and even worse, running your daily life. Now you're focused on killing the beast - YES! That's the spirit! That's the focus you need to prevail in quitting :) Freedom awaits!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gus said:

Thank you @reciprocity! Everyone I’ve had contact with on here has been so encouraging and helpful! I can’t say how thankful I am  that I found this site and that the people here are THE BEST EVER enough! 🤗

We all only speak the truth Gus. The truth of what we have experienced just like the people that went before us who passed on their truths to us.

Having a bunch of other quitters to support you on your quit journey is a great tool, just as it was for all of us. Plus, it's a lot more fun than just quitting on your own :) 

• Like 4

My GP told me that quitting smoking was worse than coming off heroin, the addiction was 10 times worse, quite simply because we don't make the association between having a cigarette and being addicted to having a cigarette. It was just the norm, something we did, something that helped us in stressful situations, little did we realise that it made the stress worse at the end of the day. The day you can honestly tell yourself that yes you are an addict is a day that you an turn this around completely and keep that quit. Be stronger, be bigger, be more courageous, whatever it takes to stand up to the addict inside, it gets easier in time, and you will feel so good. Remind yourself that's another hour done, another day done, another week, month you get the idea, but keep on walking that path towards complete freedom. xx

• Like 3