Again, Still smoking!!!! :(

Kdad

8 minutes ago, Kdad said:

Any advice?

NOPE.

Not as in Nope, I don't have any advice.  My advice is NOPE - Not One Puff Ever.

It isn't just an acronym.  It really is the answer to quitting smoking and staying successfully quit.  As long as you think one puff will not hurt, you will keep failing.

Focus and commit to not taking another puff.  Even if it is one hour at a time or day at a time, then focus on the next hour/day, etc.

If you never take another puff, the craves will go away with time.  You just have to commit to it.

• Like 4

Yes I'll.Come over to your house with my trusty Frying Pan ....And Tell you 

Take Smoking Off The Table No Matter What !!!!!......

Even if your arse is on fire.....

Come On ....you can do this ....I know you can ...!!!

PoorWastefulAustralianshelduck-size_restricted.gif

Edited by Doreensfree
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, Kdad said:

Haven't managed to quit this time. Any advice?

RULE #1: Don't put cigarettes in your mouth and light them on fire.

RULE #2: If you have any further questions, refer back to rule #1.

The process of quitting smoking could not be more simple.  Complicating the process is nothing more than procrastination masquerading as planning.  

• Like 6

The prospect of quitting for the rest of your life can seem like an incredibly formidable undertaking.  I suggest you set a less daunting and more achievable goal.  When I first quit, my intent was to surpass my previous longest quit of 3 weeks.  When I eventually got to that goal I recognized that could keep it going a while longer and reset my sights on 3 months smoke free.

Set a target that doesn't seem so grueling.  You can then reevaluate once you hit your target.  Eventually you'll build up enough time that your quit becomes too valuable to just throw away.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step".

• Like 9

It's you and only you that can make the commitment to quit and follow through on that commitment. You know you CAN do it because you've done it before. As BKP said, set a small target to begin with then revaluate once you reach that target. That may help with the anxiety I'm sensing you have about quitting again.

• Like 6

Oh Kdad.  The will is apparently there or you wouldn't be showing up.  The only one in control of your life is you.  You have arrived at this same fork in the road before.  You also know which way you have to go.  We can only hope that you choose wisely.  We are rooting for you.  You succeeded before and we know you can do it again.   C'mon Kdad lets get this final quit going!

• Like 5

Hi Kdad :) I only on day 3 so no great advice. You came back to post you struggling and I can think of no better place to hang out as you struggle then here. I a new found respect for any who have quit. A deep respect for the journey and choice. Keep trying and do it! 

• Like 6

Hey @Kdad.....

Are you convinced ?.....

Don't wait for the horror stories to come knocking ...

Nothing will be able to help then...

Take your seat and join the Newbies ....

You want to Quit ...Deep down ...you want your Freedom ....

Its here waiting for you ....

• Like 4

I once rode the short bus as well- short bus is reserved for us dumb asses that ruined a perfectly good quit.

Good news is the short bus is easy to disembark, but can only be done by boarding the quit train.

You know what to do- dont be a dumbass

Hope to see ya around

• Like 6

I remember all the times that I tried to quit before my stick one and the fear of being without a fag hanging out of my mouth terrified the living daylights out of me, I remember thinking oh my god but I need a cigarette, I can't live without them, how will I survive, but do you know something that wasn't me speaking that was the addict inside of me. Once I realised that my life was going to be so much better without having that cigarette the quit became easier, its changing your thought patterns. Its acknowledging that its an addiction and not a way of life, its about being kind to yourself, and believing in yourself. No one else can make this work except you. But we are here to encourage, help, guide and cheer you on. So make the next cigarette you have the last one, stand up tall, brush yourself down and tell yourself that you are bigger than the addict inside. 

• Like 6

@Kdad you don't have to convince me quitting is hard . Been there , it's a gong show I know and tough . It is gut wrenchingly tough too having to repeat the same pain over and over . Change the things you can to not repeat mistakes . It's part of the process . 

I can tell you if all you have is a seed of hope it will be enough to make it happen . The way through is to get through the nonsense thinking that you "can't "  quit and believe in " I will "  quit by the action I take . 

Take smoking off the table as an option . You may shed a few tears , that's ok . You may become angry , parr for the course , you may feel you lost your best friends , but you didn't . They were never a friend in the first place .

It takes  time so don't be hard on yourself , don't quit trying , just come here , lean on your friends here for help through until you can do it on your own . Reaching out when we are weak is actually strength .

That's what friends are  , they will support you to the end .  Everyone is here for you and wants to help . Put pride aside and let us help . We help each other . You helped me today .. believe it . You did . 

Put your stubborn side to use . It can be a powerful tool to use against craves . 

Halt . Crave hits ask yourself ? Hungry , angry , lonely , tired ? Solution Healthy snack , walk, call a friend , rest . Distract , delay , deep breaths , discuss , dont smoke . Do something different . 

Oranges help with craves as will cinnamon , frozen grapes or blueberries , walking , a new hobby . 

Write a letter of goodbye to smoking . Write a list . Remember your why . Why are you quitting . Because enough is enough right . Hope something here helps . Everyone has given you food for thought . Take what helps and add your own thoughts and you got a great recipie to quit happening . 

I am glad you are here . 

Post , don't smoke . You won't surprise us on how you may be feeling . We have been there on our own journey too . Not the same shoes but on the same road to freedom . Everyone here can relate to your feelings I think . I know I do . 

You.      Can .     Do.     This .    By .  The. Action   And  Choices . You . Make. Through . Every . Crave . 

Hard yes , but temporary . It gets easier . Hang in there with us until it gets easier . You won't regret the time you spend here . Promise you . 

Edited by Abby
  • Like 10

It is as difficult or as easy as you choose to make it.

Your current ... situation ... (whatever it may be) ... is 100٪ self inflicted. You are in control of the outcome here. Time to start making the right choices ... right?

EZPZ

• Like 4

Unfortunately I can relate @Kdad.  I had the same problem when I relapsed back in 2018.  I couldn't seem to make another quit stick.  I think my problem was cold turkey symptoms.  I successfully quit cold turkey the first time around but had a medical reason why I absolutely had to stay quit.  I toughed it out but hated every minute of it, along with giving everyone I knew a pretty instense show.  I'm sure that my meltdowns made them wonder who the hell I was.  This time, after trying everything else, I gave the nicotine patch a try.  I really didn't think it would help because nothing else did.  But, it did help!  I was flabbergasted that I had almost no withdrawal symptoms.  I still had smoking thoughts but without the depression, anger issues, unsatiable appetite, and sleeping issues, I was able to power through.  I think the main thing is to not stop trying.  And try different methods.  We're all different so what works for one may not work for another.  I truly hope that you find your way back to a smoke free life.  You and I both know that it's so much better!

• Like 2

I’m a newbie here @Kdad. I’m 5 weeks in on what I am determined will be my one and only quit. I can’t imagine having to go through all of this pain and suffering again. Horror of horrors!!! I realized that I AM AN ADDICT! I was a bonafide hard core user. I will never smoke again. I can’t allow myself to be controlled by everything that is in a cigarette ever again. I will not allow a cigarette to cause me to huddle in tears of anguish ever again. You can do this! You’ve beat it once before and you can do it again! Wishing you all the best in this quit. 

• Like 5

• 2 months later...