Hi new here and not doing well

Dianne

Hahaha I just ate a square of chocolate too Robbie...dark choc (90%) that I had to wash down with coffee because it really not my thing but it good for us right lol ...hang in there with that lock down Robbie ugh now there a real challenge to ones sanity and well being. I hope it will pass quicker than you know!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Day 55 ...feeling pretty good, took down the bright lime green post it notes. Feel they served their purpose. Still exercising before the sun rises. Still buying supplements instead of cartons. Drinking green tea and eating Greek yogurt. Spending all day pulling my pants up (lost 20 lbs...hey who says Gerd cannot come in handy when quitting)  I like being a non-smoker I really do. I like feeling better. There still are moments when the habit pops up in my mind but it is easy to dismiss the thought. I am concerned that in a few days I going to be alone for 2 weeks. It will be the first time in 9 years (maybe it 10 years) the first time in a long long time. It funny because months ago before I got sick then quit smoking, learned how awful anxiety is and steroids. I was so looking forward to this time alone. In 9 years time I have not had a day off not once of being a caretaker to my parents and now just my mom as my dad passed 5 years ago. I have so been looking forward to this. Now though I slightly concerned that something may throw me or I will not know how to handle after all this time how to not take care of someone and be alone....strange the switch in energy about this time off. Still though part of me sees this as a challenge. I hope I do well with it. In fun news my quit has been contagious. Others around me now walking. Even choosing to drink green tea and include dark choc in their diet. It that extra little bounce in my step these days and sass in my smile...it contagious... this liking feeling better :) 

• Like 8

I think that it would be perfectly natural to have some misapprehensions concerning your upcoming 2 weeks off when it has been years since you’d taken any time for yourself. You’ll come through it fine, but we are here to help you out if you have any problems! Enjoy your ‘me time!’ 🤗

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dianne said:

Day 55 ...feeling pretty good, took down the bright lime green post it notes. Feel they served their purpose. Still exercising before the sun rises. Still buying supplements instead of cartons. Drinking green tea and eating Greek yogurt. Spending all day pulling my pants up (lost 20 lbs...hey who says Gerd cannot come in handy when quitting)  I like being a non-smoker I really do. I like feeling better. There still are moments when the habit pops up in my mind but it is easy to dismiss the thought. I am concerned that in a few days I going to be alone for 2 weeks. It will be the first time in 9 years (maybe it 10 years) the first time in a long long time. It funny because months ago before I got sick then quit smoking, learned how awful anxiety is and steroids. I was so looking forward to this time alone. In 9 years time I have not had a day off not once of being a caretaker to my parents and now just my mom as my dad passed 5 years ago. I have so been looking forward to this. Now though I slightly concerned that something may throw me or I will not know how to handle after all this time how to not take care of someone and be alone....strange the switch in energy about this time off. Still though part of me sees this as a challenge. I hope I do well with it. In fun news my quit has been contagious. Others around me now walking. Even choosing to drink green tea and include dark choc in their diet. It that extra little bounce in my step these days and sass in my smile...it contagious... this liking feeling better :) 

I can relate to your fear. If you struggle with anxiety, any change is scary. Routine and ritual are important to us.  I Noticed that I fair better when with my boyfriend, either at his place, or mine.  So, sometimes, I make myself go home, alone, for a week or so, to prove to myself that I am O. K. alone. I don’t want to be dependent on anyone else for my happiness, or well-being.  You will do fine, as do I. 

• Like 4

Good job on your quit , keep it going . It's not worth throwing away all the awesome days you worked hard for . I know you can do it . Remember quit train is your back up when needed ..

• Like 3

@Dianne you're doing awesome!

Surely there's something you've been wanting to do when you have some free time.  

I rearrange things sometimes, or will dismantle the stereo setup and set it up with new components or arrange albums alphabetically or by genre or something.

I'm sure you have something fun waiting for you.  If you can't think of anything, get out on your bike and try to get lost on new streets or trails.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Dianne said:

Day 55 ...feeling pretty good,

Wow Diane.  You are doing great.  Many of us have gained weight when quitting.  You will do fine when your off.  Stay busy and reward yourself often.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Day 67...been spring cleaning while I alone and have the chance to do so minus distractions. Came across a bag I had hurriedly filled in the event I ended up in the hospital and to take to the ER with me. This was back in April about 5 days before I quit smoking. I did not end up in the hospital but did end up with a lot of prescription meds. Anyhow the bag had the usual change of cloths, a book, bottle of water ect and....a full pack of cigarettes'....it was a bit tempting not because I actually wanted one. Just that I have been busy with the spring cleaning and the thought to take a break with a cig sounded welcoming....so of course I threw them out, because really all I really wanted was a break from the cleaning not a cig.... not to start that again and not to have to put myself ever again to go through quitting... ugh! So yes lately I find I have to give myself permission to take a break. When I smoked I gave myself lots of mini breaks.....now I have to learn to give myself breaks just for the sake of it.  Also shaking my head at the tv show Below Deck (marathons playing in the background as I clean) I never noticed before (when I smoking and watching the show)  but dang they smoke a lot on that show every break they get....oh I guess that makes it a theme...I on the break theme lol 

• Like 5

Gosh, you did so well Dianne, I'm not sure if I would have your strength if I found a pack of cigarettes in my bag! I hope that I would, but really, that is so confronting especially being on your own with no one to help you stay strong. None of us would want to go through quitting again, but you certainly dealt with a big temptation...WELL DONE for not getting trapped into that horrible cycle again! All the best.

Children.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, d2e8b8 said:

The break theme got me thinking - what do we do with the extra time now that we no longer take smoke breaks?  

I've discovered there's some pretty funny commercials on tv 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Day 67 , 68, you are kicking butt . 

Gerd is common after you quit smoking as well and what is known as quitters flu in the early days . 

Putting the head of your bed up is helpful,as is eating nothing after six . Hope that helps . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Day 85 (I think) I still on the quit train. I have been quit lately. Have not really felt like talking or sharing.  It has been challenging lately. Having major dental problems which come September I hoping to get some relief from. Currently fighting off a bad round of diverticulitis which has waylaid my exercising for a bit. Just to many things life throwing at me recently gah and bah! Life needs to knock it off. There have been times I have thought why did I even try to get healthy and quit smoking as things seem to keep coming at me. This has been a honest thought. But I know smoking will not help any of it and I know I far better off having quit. I staying on the quit train. But dang this has been a hard hard 3 months of life. Still going to keep looking forward (like all the way to 2022 lol) tomorrow I start slowly working my way back up to exercising and walking. I staying on the train but gee life a little break please :) am down 24 lbs now...I call that a combination of GERD, diverticulitis, exercise and eating better...I would not recommend that the way to go but it is what it is and 24lbs gone is rather nice. Stay strong people you can quit and you can stay quit despite this thing called life!

• Like 4

Hi @Dianne, thank you for the update. I'm sorry you're having those issues. Its hard to believe right now but quitting and staying quit will actually help you heal faster😊

Congratulations on losing that weight too, that is awesome for being so newly quit. And I love how you're finding the good in your bad situations 🤗

• Like 1

Hi! @Dianne I’m so sorry about all of the issues you are having. I feel for you. 😞 @jillar is right though. Staying quit will promote faster and better healing. You will get through all of this and be the better for it!! Keep your chin up and yes, start exercising! It lifts your spirits tremendously! Really glad that you are still on the train and thank you for checking in!!! 🤗

• Like 2

Hang in there, @Dianne! Sorry to hear you’ve been dealing with so much stuff. I can relate. I am on vacation and currently have a Diverticulitis flare up. I went to an Urgent Care Clinic, today,  here in Washington, D. C., to get an Rx for antibiotics. I am hoping I will start to feel better after about 24 hours, when the meds kick in. Hoping you are on the mend, too.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Day 109 Frustrated this last week. Had a problem Friday that just kept compounding more and more problems. Had a moment (a sarcastic one) where I thought gee I so glad I do not smoke now!!...followed by staring blankly into space. I really wanted a cig...there have been a few times this week I have really wanted one.... but I rather stubborn by nature and I not willing to give up 109 days for something that is only going to make me feel less than proud of myself and will do nothing for me...nothing good...so I going to keep choosing this quit and adding more days to it.....admittedly some days more challenging than others and we have a choice :) 

freedom 2.png

• Like 8

Good for you, Dianne!  I am right behind you. This is a case where being stubborn works in our favor. I know, because, that is when I accomplish my goals. I never give up, if it is something I want badly enough. Keep up the good work. You only need focus on one day at a time…😊

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 4